2013 MKZ Tracking

I will share my experience with Customer Service. The first time I called I was flat out told that this kind of information (i.e. where's my car) was not available through LCS. He said that I had been mis-informed (and that I could not rely on anything said on this forum). That was that. I did end up calling again with Dedonut's suggestion to try to talk to someone in sales... the person I spoke with echoed the sentiment that they don't have that information, but instead of bluntly ending the call he did take my VIN and said he'd call me back after doing some "research". He did call back a half hour later to tell me that he was personally assigning himself to take care of my issues (now we're getting somewhere). Then... the disappointment... he said it might take a while to build my car depending on the options I picked, "like the MultiContour seats". I told him I actually knew my car was built a month ago (my window sticker said 02/08/2013).... nice "research"... awkward for him and upsetting for me. "Well, I am personally going to take care of your concerns and I will call you back on March 22nd to update you on where your car is"... so my first guy wasn't friendly or helpful. The second was friendly but not helpful. I just hope these people are going to be helpful if there are issues with the cars down the road (though I'm sure there won't be with these elaborate inspections).

Tanner... you didn't see any black cars with black rims on that car hauler to San Diego, did you?

Dedonut... I live in the Palm Springs area where just about all of us are transplanted from somewhere... so never have been a Chargers fan... Ravens fan from the get go... hope to celebrate our Super Bowl win with a new MKZ... soon?

So let me add onto this about LCS, because that experience was one of the worst. I actually sent this to Ford's CEO and a Lincoln manager.....

Good Morning Gentleman;

I wanted to provide you with some feedback in regards to the call center that your customers are directed to for all questions. It is unclear to me if this is a new call center(meaning new personnel that you have brought on) as part of the Lincoln Concierge Service, or something that was quickly stood up to address issues with the MKZ launch.

Regardless I have to tell you the service provided is abysmal. As the front line for LMC, a luxury brand that is trying to relaunch itself, the experience is not luxury class at all. It also appears to me that there may have been some attempt to assign customers to a particular service representative. While that logic makes sense, unfortunately if you are assigned a rude and poorly educated person, it exacerbates that poor quality. As such I would like to give you some examples of the poor quality of customer service I have experienced:

1. 1 MAR 13 - Hello this is Bryan how may I help you. Hi Bryan I would like to check on the status of my pre ordered MKZ please. Certainly let me look that up for you. Hmm ok it looks like your car is in the status of Awaiting shipment. This means that your car has been sent offsite in Flat Rock for Quality Inspection. Unfortunately we lose all visibility to the car when this happens. Really, because I am pretty sure my car has never left Hermasillo and I am pretty sure it is Awaiting Shipment to get on a Rail car today. Oh well thank you for calling Lincoln.

2. 27 FEB 13 - Hello this is Melissa how may I help you. Hi Melissa I would like to check on the status of my pre ordered MKZ please. Certainly let me look that up for you. Oh I see you have called here before and JoEtte is your service agent let me get you over to her. No, I would prefer to speak with you can you just tell me the status of my car? Sorry JoEtte is your customer service agent, she is the only one that can speak with you. Really. Hung up

3. 25 FEB 13 - Hello this is Nathan how may I help you. Hi Nathan I would like to check on the status of my pre ordered MKZ please. Certainly let me look that up for you. Hmmm, ok I see that your status is Awaiting Shipment. Oh what exactly does that mean, I believe that is the primary status which has not changed since the 8th when my car was produced. Can you please tell me the secondary status? I am sorry Sir, I can not divulge that information to you. What, you cannot tell me information about that car that I Pre Ordered? Really, I hung up.

As you can see, not great experiences overall, and those are just three of the probably 25 times I have called your customer service center. As a first time Lincoln customer and first time Pre Order customer this process was absolutely horrible. I understand LMC wants to get the fit and finish right, I understand that there are quality concerns, and I understand that it costs LMC a lot less to correct and adjust at the factory rather the dealership or customer. I think it is absolutely wrong that I have to bother you or Alan with such a mundane issue as getting a VIN, trying to get status on my car, tracking my car, etc.. To a great extent I blame this on the dealership not being proactive. Only though the Internet forums have I been able to learn many of the in's and out's of pre ordering a car. IMHO, this is unacceptable. The dealership as the "face" of LMC should provide me with the full process. Guiding me on how to check on status, helping me understand the assignment of the VIN, the various statuses of the build process, places on the Internet I could go to receive a Monrony sticker, or build information. I have great concerns with the way I was treated and the survey I fill out will represent that.

The MKZ's that I did see were dark(hard to tell exactly what color, and I didn't pay attention to rims...LOL... hard to see that close but there were about 5 or 6. Also yesterday I saw three more MKZ's in the yard being loaded up, one was red.

I called LCS yesterday afternoon.After giving them my VIN number,I was told that they'll research it & call me right back.

A half hour later,they called & said that they have no information on whether my car has been shipped.I said that my conversation a week ago said the car was at ramp 54 still,i wanted to know if it would be trucked to the dealer directly,or go by train,or have to yet go to Flat Rock yet for QA.

He said I don't have ANY information,but they'll check back with me next week.

....................I'm in limboland again.

Ravensfan: I hope the Chargers win the SB, too, but get in line please, the 'Niners need to close the deal. :-)

Tanner: congratulations … bet it's a long wait to Monday. :-)

With my last call to LCS, the Rep put me through the hoops mentioned above and ended up getting more info than she gave. What she gave hadn't changed from at least Feb-26 so I don't know if their system isn't updating or they're just giving some kind of an answer. Tanner's experience of getting old info from LCS and then a happy surprise call from the dealership says a lot. We're continuing to call people who don't have current info. I was very fortunate to get someone back on Feb. 19 who was willing to trace a second VIN, the dealer order I was following. That's when I learned it was delivered. And again … info the dealership didn't yet have in their system. There appears to be a lag. The system isn't real-time from factory to dealership. Remember even Etis was behind in updates. Maybe that's why dealerships don't follow the info so closely. Their experience may be that it isn't all that timely. They believe delivery status when they see the cars (or a customer tells them they have it)! It's a massive amount of info for Ford/Lincoln to manage but perhaps the next F/L CS move (which would benefit dealerships and remove the cost of CS call centers on tracking) would be to update the info system to real-time via the VIN# and give limited system access based on who you are. Dealers can track all their orders, customers have access to their VIN# only, etc. Not an impossible feat in todays IT world is it Kirby and Tanner?

Edited by Dedonut

Ravensfan: I hope the Chargers win the SB, too, but get in line please, the 'Niners need to close the deal. :-)

Tanner: congratulations bet it's a long wait to Monday. :-)

With my last call to LCS, the Rep put me through the hoops mentioned above and ended up getting more info than she gave. What she gave hadn't changed from at least Feb-26 so I don't know if their system isn't updating or they're just giving some kind of an answer. Tanner's experience of getting old info from LCS and then a happy surprise call from the dealership says a lot. We're continuing to call people who don't have current info. I was very fortunate to get someone back on Feb. 19 who was willing to trace a second VIN, the dealer order I was following. That's when I learned it was delivered. And again info the dealership didn't yet have in their system. There appears to be a lag. The system isn't real-time from factory to dealership. Remember even Etis was behind in updates. Maybe that's why dealerships don't follow the info so closely. Their experience may be that it isn't all that timely. They believe delivery status when they see the cars (or a customer tells them they have it)! It's a massive amount of info for Ford/Lincoln to manage but perhaps the next F/L CS move (which would benefit dealerships and remove the cost of CS call centers on tracking) would be to update the info system to real-time via the VIN# and give limited system access based on who you are. Dealers can track all their orders, customers have access to their VIN# only, etc. Not an impossible feat in todays IT world is it Kirby and Tanner?

Dealers can track all their orders, customers have access to their VIN# only, etc. Not an impossible feat in todays IT world is it Kirby and Tanner?

It's not a technical issue. It's just not a priority because very few people need or want this level of tracking (as a percentage of the 2M+ vehicles that Ford sells annually). Some dealers do not want you to have this information especially if they don't have allocation or they're playing games with order priorities.

Ford would have to first take all of their internal statuses in the various systems and translate them to something the customer would understand (and decide what they want the customer to see or not see). Then you have to figure out whether you track a customer or you just let anyone enter any vin. Then you build a web based front end that communicates with the existing systems.

This is what I would do. I would build an interface to the back end systems using standard APIs and which includes all of the translations. Then i would build a simple web front end that takes a VIN and returns the current status. This would be the Ford system. I would then build a more sophisticated system for Lincoln as part of lincolnowner.com. It would provide real time updates on request but also allow automated status updates via email or text whenever the status changes. This system could also be done for Fords but I would do Lincoln first.

For Lincoln I would also assign each special order to a CSR who would follow your order and provide individual assistance. These people would have access to factory info not currently available to CSRs and access to individuals at each plant when more info is needed. This fits the Lincoln concierge model.

I would also do Retail Order Verification for all orders so that allocation is not a factor for any special order.

Looks like there is some type of new "process" when you call into LCS and ask for an update on your car -

they take all kinds of information from you to verify that you are the person associated with a custom order; (Dealership, dealer name, dealer number, order, number, personal phone number, home address, etc.)

If any of this doesn't match - they wont help you -

+ even after all that info is confirmed - they take an email address and another phone number to circle back to you ...

apparently another individual responds to your request for status later on - after some arbitrary waiting time!

that's a new generation of concierge service alright!

HUH?

<shake head>

John

Yes, god forbid the ETA on our cars gets in to the wrong hands. I mean, terrorism, global warning, national security are all at stake here! sheesh . . . I gave up on CS for anything a couple of weeks ago. The train tracking services aren't much better. These last two weeks since my car headed out have been the slowest yet. I'll eventually get the car, but I would never go through this again.

Yeah, it sucks you have to wait, but they are concerned about quality more than anything else, so that should help.

I'm not so sure that they really are. I get the feeling it may be the "quality" of Ford management that is the problem. Just my impression in all my dealing with them (including management)

Edited by xgman

It's not a technical issue. It's just not a priority because very few people need or want this level of tracking (as a percentage of the 2M+ vehicles that Ford sells annually). Some dealers do not want you to have this information especially if they don't have allocation or they're playing games with order priorities.

Ford would have to first take all of their internal statuses in the various systems and translate them to something the customer would understand (and decide what they want the customer to see or not see). Then you have to figure out whether you track a customer or you just let anyone enter any vin. Then you build a web based front end that communicates with the existing systems.

This is what I would do. I would build an interface to the back end systems using standard APIs and which includes all of the translations. Then i would build a simple web front end that takes a VIN and returns the current status. This would be the Ford system. I would then build a more sophisticated system for Lincoln as part of lincolnowner.com. It would provide real time updates on request but also allow automated status updates via email or text whenever the status changes. This system could also be done for Fords but I would do Lincoln first.

For Lincoln I would also assign each special order to a CSR who would follow your order and provide individual assistance. These people would have access to factory info not currently available to CSRs and access to individuals at each plant when more info is needed. This fits the Lincoln concierge model.

And let me just add, I am so sorry for anyone having to call LCS to find out information. That whole experience is just awful no one should have to be subjected to that crap!

I would also do Retail Order Verification for all orders so that allocation is not a factor for any special order.

I concur, it is not the technology for sure. UPS, FedEX, Amazon all have much better tracking systems. To Kirby's point it is the desire to invest in that technology. Now let me play the devil's advocate here though and state, if your going to compete in a Luxury class, targeting "upward progressives" new word by the way that Lincoln made up... then you may need to invest some money. Perhaps phase the rollout first to your "LUXURY" class. Yes it is going to be a long wait till Monday, but my fear is that they will call and say ... Oh the car did not make it here, and we have no control over delivery from the railyard. I guess this whole process is so frustrating to me, because I am a control freak, I acknowledge that so not knowing, not being able to find someone that does, not having influence... rubs the Project Manager in me the wrong way!!

Edited by tanner83

I've special ordered cars from each of the three leading luxury class german brands. None of them offered customer tracking and I was subject to being updated by my salerep on an infrequent basis (e.g car is on a container, car is at XYZ port). Not sure why Ford/Lincoln woudlnt offer this service ...it would be a nice way to dinstinguish themselves, but for those frusturated that this seems like an obvious luxury service, and standard, I would say...it isn't a standard, not even a gold standard. No luxury car company provides this service.

Tanner: congratulations … bet it's a long wait to Monday. :-)

With my last call to LCS, the Rep put me through the hoops mentioned above and ended up getting more info than she gave. What she gave hadn't changed from at least Feb-26 so I don't know if their system isn't updating or they're just giving some kind of an answer. Tanner's experience of getting old info from LCS and then a happy surprise call from the dealership says a lot. We're continuing to call people who don't have current info. I was very fortunate to get someone back on Feb. 19 who was willing to trace a second VIN, the dealer order I was following. That's when I learned it was delivered. And again … info the dealership didn't yet have in their system. There appears to be a lag. The system isn't real-time from factory to dealership. Remember even Etis was behind in updates. Maybe that's why dealerships don't follow the info so closely. Their experience may be that it isn't all that timely. They believe delivery status when they see the cars (or a customer tells them they have it)! It's a massive amount of info for Ford/Lincoln to manage but perhaps the next F/L CS move (which would benefit dealerships and remove the cost of CS call centers on tracking) would be to update the info system to real-time via the VIN# and give limited system access based on who you are. Dealers can track all their orders, customers have access to their VIN# only, etc. Not an impossible feat in todays IT world is it Kirby and Tanner?

I'm IT as well and since this is all based on a profile, it would be something that could be set up to allow people to track their own cars. As long as the system was updated properly, it would go a long way to help customers feel in touch.

I've special ordered cars from each of the three leading luxury class german brands. None of them offered customer tracking and I was subject to being updated by my salerep on an infrequent basis (e.g car is on a container, car is at XYZ port). Not sure why Ford/Lincoln woudlnt offer this service ...it would be a nice way to dinstinguish themselves, but for those frusturated that this seems like an obvious luxury service, and standard, I would say...it isn't a standard, not even a gold standard. No luxury car company provides this service.

You know, even something as simple as email updates generated from the systems would be nice. They took all that information down when I ordered the car.

Meanest Trick in the World...

So my car was supposed to hit my dealership last night, so the wife and I decided to pop down and take a look just to check it out. We drive up and look at what we see....

post-49348-0-01783400-1362862033_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-68894700-1362862038_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-48429600-1362862045_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-89047100-1362862052_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-44021700-1362862060_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-66229200-1362862067_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-66229200-1362862067_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-04043200-1362862074_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-36770200-1362862081_thumb.jpgpost-49348-0-73344400-1362862087_thumb.jpg

My wife is excited she says oh my that color is beautiful so glad we choose it!! We walk over and its not our car. Motherless piece of F******** SH**

That is too funny. Just 2 days ago while driving by our dealership my wife saw a red MKZ and pulled a u-turn into the lot. Before she could even walk up to the car our salesperson came running out. All she could hear was - it is not yours .... it is not yours - Has ANYONE actually taken possession of the car they ordered yet ?

XG you did not understand it was not my car!!!!! Still waiting on mine

Tanner, while you are waiting, I would recommend carefully perusing the online owner's manual for the car. I picked my car up this morning (after only a 6 month wait), and even though a very nice guy went over all the features with me, I still felt totally lost most of the time on our nearly100 mile trip home. My '07 MKZ was totally loaded, but nothing in that car prepared me at all for all the differences in the new one. I am only moderately technology challenged, but I felt like an idiot trying to perform basic functions using the touch screen and all the wheel buttons. Finally made it home, took the manual out to the car, and spent about an hour getting more familiar with everything. I had read a lot about this car, but was totally unprepared for what I found.

That being said, we love the car, and I think we will like it much better when we take a nice ride tomorrow, and experience many of the features I finally figured out tonight. I have reset the Lincoln Drive Control (even though I was almost convinced the car didn't have it since it was almost unmentioned in the manual, and a word search of the PDF version found no trace of it....even though it was there, well hidden). I still have a lot to learn about all the hybrid readouts on the dash, and am still weirded out by starting out of a parking space with no engine running. Sure love the heated steering wheel.....after I finally found how to turn it on. I fear that many older potential buyers are going to be turned off on test drives with so much technology confounding them as they try to enjoy the ride. Hope I'm wrong, though, this fine car deserves a fair shot.

Tanner, while you are waiting, I would recommend carefully perusing the online owner's manual for the car. I picked my car up this morning (after only a 6 month wait), and even though a very nice guy went over all the features with me, I still felt totally lost most of the time on our nearly100 mile trip home. My '07 MKZ was totally loaded, but nothing in that car prepared me at all for all the differences in the new one. I am only moderately technology challenged, but I felt like an idiot trying to perform basic functions using the touch screen and all the wheel buttons. Finally made it home, took the manual out to the car, and spent about an hour getting more familiar with everything. I had read a lot about this car, but was totally unprepared for what I found.

That being said, we love the car, and I think we will like it much better when we take a nice ride tomorrow, and experience many of the features I finally figured out tonight. I have reset the Lincoln Drive Control (even though I was almost convinced the car didn't have it since it was almost unmentioned in the manual, and a word search of the PDF version found no trace of it....even though it was there, well hidden). I still have a lot to learn about all the hybrid readouts on the dash, and am still weirded out by starting out of a parking space with no engine running. Sure love the heated steering wheel.....after I finally found how to turn it on. I fear that many older potential buyers are going to be turned off on test drives with so much technology confounding them as they try to enjoy the ride. Hope I'm wrong, though, this fine car deserves a fair shot.

I downloaded the owner's manual and read it like 10+ times. I have put a checklist on things I need to do when I take delivery and the steps necessary to do them. Should make things a lot easier on the drive home. Can't wait to make that 45minute drive in the new car. Hopefully should be the end of this week. Looking forward to that dealer call soon.

Yep great suggestion I downloaded that about a month ago and really studied most of the features. I got so tired of waiting that I hit every ford store I could and gots lots of time driving fusion hybrids(lol). I have been researching how to hypermile this car and feel pretty good that I can do the pulse and glide well. I spoke to the customer service manager about break in period and dropping the oil after 1000 miles so I feel good about car service requirements. I purchased the 8 inch day vue protector and will apply that to the My Lincoln Touch screen the same time I have my windows tinted. I think that should just about cover it. Although I still have to figure out my Bespoke gift

Have a great drive tomorrow I will be driving my hopefull on Monday!!

I downloaded the owner's manual and read it like 10+ times. I have put a checklist on things I need to do when I take delivery and the steps necessary to do them. Should make things a lot easier on the drive home. Can't wait to make that 45minute drive in the new car. Hopefully should be the end of this week. Looking forward to that dealer call soon.

If you feel like sharing shoot me your check list man!!

.."Tanner, while you are waiting, I would recommend carefully perusing the online owner's manual for the car. I picked my car up this morning (after only a 6 month wait), and even though a very nice guy went over all the features with me, I still felt totally lost most of the time on our nearly100 mile trip home. "...

I'm on the 4th read of the downloaded manual,but no car yet to use.

I asked this before to any who have already received their car:

Why would you ever use the 'L' gear to slow down if the 'Grade-assist' button does the same thing but in additional uses brake re-generation?