2013 MKZ Tracking

I think Lincoln made a very bad mistake by sending cars from a internation country to be inspected domestically. What could go wrong there? Having to QA cars that were not built in the U.S. can only lead to more QA problems. Should have all been done in Mexico, as other vehicles have been. We would probably have our cars on time and without scratches.

My GM thoroughly inspected my car before I got there. It had about a dozen or more prominent surface scratches, a couple 15" long. All over the place. Nothing to the lower level of paint, but still there through the clearcoat. The body shop says they should be able to buff or refinish most of it out. Then there was a mangled door/window outside trim piece that has to be replaced. Then there was the center leather arm rest that had a hole in the leather. WAY TO GO QUALITY CONTROL FORD!! sheesh.. On the way to work today I saw a truck full of new Audi's. I noticed they were all completely covered in custom fit spotless white car covers. That is how you transport cars.

If I had not waited 6 months and with the prospect of many more weeks waiting, I would have said nope, and get another car. That said, I'll be ok if the scratches are 90% gone and they have already ordered the parts and put me in a MKX for a couple days. They also gave me a hell of a deal both in cash back, and interest rate and also on my trade value. So in the end I hope it works out, but it was so hard to leave my shiny new red car and go home in a truck. Is there a faint light at the end of this long dark tunnel. My luck has to improve, but honestly with t his sort of quality control, I am worried about the rest of the car.

Moral is to do a very close inspection under very bright lights when you pick up your cars. Now I understand why the inspection is taking so long. Someone along the way is mangling these cars.

Hope all turns out well. Only problem, it will never seem new.

Well I'll try this again tomorrow and see what happens....

By the way, it's a silly complaint, but, the key for this thing is like a blimp. It is the dopiest looking oversized fat bulky thing I have ever seen. There is no earthly reason it needs to be this big. It looks like a big fat toe. I don't want to carry that thing in my pocket. It's also very cheaply made. The silver paint starts peeling off almost day 1.

Edited by xgman

Uggh .... So I have moved from "awaiting shipment sent offsite" to "awaiting shipment returned from offsite" back to "awaiting shipment sent offsite"! Huh?! John

what does THAT mean?

The more I read, the more confused I get.

Ah well, it sounds like the rest of us are confused as well.

I could drive over to the Fairfield, CA dealer who has the model, color, specs, etc., that I want and apply my Xplan there. I could drive it off the lot, But I want the one that has my name on the window sticker.

OK, ok, now I'm just whining.

Uggh .... So I have moved from "awaiting shipment sent offsite" to "awaiting shipment returned from offsite" back to "awaiting shipment sent offsite"! Huh?! John

Not sure if this is related to the your status changes but I heard from Flat Rock plant, they send it somewhere local, then from there, they send it out via train. So two stops within the local area.

While I am pleased to learn you are receiving your car that you ordered on 13 December, I am also wondering what magical act you performed to bypass those of us that orderd in September? What is your secret? My car was built on 5 February, with a week of 25 February delivery date. Last report from LCS and Dealership was on 8 February, when it was off site, whatever that means. Never did get any information why the week of 25 February was not met. I also have grave concerns that there are cars in dealerships that are being sold prior to the pre-orders being delivered. Does that message from Lincoln mean pre-orders have no more standing than a person who walks in off the street and buys a car. So why pre-order and go through the anxiety of no information or misinformation as well as tieing up a deposit? I am told that very few people of the 1000 who pre-ordered the car have cancelled their order- Lincoln should breath a sigh of relief they are still on board. In about 2 more months, the 2014 will be available to pre-order- what does that do for the 2013 Pre-orders that may not have been delivered? Sure wish someone at Lincoln Corporate would step up and tell us why our cars are not being delivered in the order they were purchased. Also don't understand why the automotive trade magazines are not on top of this delay, which has allegedly been tied to reliability inspections. So, the question on the table is; how did you leap ahead of the rest of us to get your car?

Did I miss the answer?

Did I miss the answer?

There is no answer. They realize they have lost control over this and it was too late to fix it this time around. Apple had a very similar product launch pre-order problem recently. There are no excuses. It just went wrong. The Fusions had a problem with orders that also placed older customers way off to the point where some of them had to re-order from scratch. It's not pretty.

Tanner, Dedonut, How closely did you go over the car at delivery?

I went over it pretty well, my Sales Rep went over it before I did, and I think I told you that the Accessories Manager and the Service Manager were trained to inspect them (said that had never happened before) and they even went over the paint with an ultraviolet light. I then went over it better when I got home. Checked paint, fittings, inside and out … a couple of light brush marks on the black trim along the driver's door…nothing big … a small dirt spot on the headliner over the rear passenger door. Otherwise, all is fine!

Well I'll try this again tomorrow and see what happens....

By the way, it's a silly complaint, but, the key for this thing is like a blimp. It is the dopiest looking oversized fat bulky thing I have ever seen. There is no earthly reason it needs to be this big. It looks like a big fat toe. I don't want to carry that thing in my pocket. It's also very cheaply made. The silver paint starts peeling off almost day 1.

Hey XG, is that your MKZ key ring in your pocket or are you just happy to have a car@@!@!@!@!@!@

LMAO

I went over it pretty well, my Sales Rep went over it before I did, and I think I told you that the Accessories Manager and the Service Manager were trained to inspect them (said that had never happened before) and they even went over the paint with an ultraviolet light. I then went over it better when I got home. Checked paint, fittings, inside and out … a couple of light brush marks on the black trim along the driver's door…nothing big … a small dirt spot on the headliner over the rear passenger door. Otherwise, all is fine!

Check earlier posting galangg, I went over it fairly well, had my wife along with me, which is good because she is much more detailed focused than I am. Two big black tar spots, various dirt spots, missing seat bolt cover, etc... Now similar to XG they whisked it back to the detail shop and made things right but it really does take away from the luxury new car experience. Unfortunately these guys are not going to get a great rating on their survey.

Not sure if this is related to the your status changes but I heard from Flat Rock plant, they send it somewhere local, then from there, they send it out via train. So two stops within the local area.

SMSGT, i saw your status from CyberDan, auto warehousing what the hell is that??

Check earlier posting galangg, I went over it fairly well, had my wife along with me, which is good because she is much more detailed focused than I am. Two big black tar spots, various dirt spots, missing seat bolt cover, etc... Now similar to XG they whisked it back to the detail shop and made things right but it really does take away from the luxury new car experience. Unfortunately these guys are not going to get a great rating on their survey.

Bah, thought I had paid attention to all the posts. I've been compiling a list of things that I'll check quite closely when I take delivery.

The answer is for me was I pitched a fit to Alan Mullaly CEO of Ford which resulted in management from Lincoln getting in touch with me. Suggest you reach out and make that happen

Thank you. I have. So the answer seems to be unethical collusion between senior Ford and Lincoln management and some of us in order to receive out of order sequence preferential delivery. I am out. That is the final tipping point for me.

True, the dealership needs to catch these things but I think because of the extreme delays they're feeling real pressure to get the car to the customer as soon as it comes in. They're the first point of contact (taking the order) and last (delivery) and in between they have no more control over the process or quality of what comes in than we do. If I recall correctly, the Survey rates the dealership, and IMHO, it's Lincoln Motor Co. that should be rated and take the heat for all of this.

BTW- has anyone who has their car received their survey yet? I took delivery Feb. 22 and haven't gotten one yet. Maybe Lincoln doesn't want to hear from pre-order folks; the results would be invalid since trashing the dealers for an order experience they couldn't control wouldn't produce accurate assessment. And would probably get more flak from dealers and rightly so.

Hey XG, is that your MKZ key ring in your pocket or are you just happy to have a car@@!@!@!@!@!@

LMAO

I think there is a small family living in there. It's like double the thickness of all the other Lincoln key fob's. No wonder they need that big wood box to hold it. They said they were able to get all the scratches out so now I just have to get a couple replacement parts and hope the car drives ok.

I think there is a small family living in there. It's like double the thickness of all the other Lincoln key fob's. No wonder they need that big wood box to hold it. They said they were able to get all the scratches out so now I just have to get a couple replacement parts and hope the car drives ok.

The damages were mostly cosmetic and won't affect the drive at all but it will affect that whole luxury experience if it hasn't already. Think we lost Coyote.

Thank you. I have. So the answer seems to be unethical collusion between senior Ford and Lincoln management and some of us in order to receive out of order sequence preferential delivery. I am out. That is the final tipping point for me.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a better experience in your next purchase.

All be damned ... I have movement and an update:

"In Transit Delay- Miscellaneous - Transit Delay (Auto Warehousing ) Flat Rock, MI Mar-18-2013, 18:01 ET."

Transit Delay ... like I'm not use to that by now .... :banghead:

Auto warehousing sounds bad. What the heck is wrong with this company??? That probably would have driven me out. Time for you to email a short story to Fords CEO.

Edited by xgman