Do all MKZ's have daytime running lamps

Well there is a reason that Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover, Tesla, BMW and Audi do nice daytime LED's. They look nice (in my opinion), and they add to safety. I notice cars behind me and oncoming more in the daytime if these light are on, especially when cloudy. AND I LIKE THE WAY THEY LOOK!!!! AND THEY ARE ALREADY ON THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm looking into going to a custom shop to have a wired switch so I can control when I want them on. I imagine the reason that Ford turned them off is to gain the 1/100th of a gallon MPG that they might effect. I'm still really pissed off about this and the lack of any sensible answers from Ford/Lincoln. At this point is is the principal of the matter to me.

By the way, apparently all the other Ford models are in the same boat. The software option disappeared sometime at the end of last year.

You may be correct that Ford might have made a recent "Software" change in the Body Control Module that can no longer be accessed through the Smart Junction Box and Fords IDS Programmer. I`m going to order my 2014 Ford C-Max sometime in May. I already ran this issue by my Salesman who sold me my 2011 Ford Fiesta 3 years ago. I`m using the X-Plan and he told me that attempting to order this Vehicle using their Dealerships "FIN" will be near impossible for lots of logistical and pricing reasons. He also said there was no way even with their area zone managers help, ordering the DRL`s as a $45 Fleet Option won`t work either and the DORA report will kick it back and (not) accept option # 942 without a (valid) FIN order number. So we will see, I warned him, when my Vehicle finally rolls off the Delivery truck, he will immediately drive it into the Shop and have their (ace) Electrical Tech attempt to do his magic trick. If it fails, they will either have to contact a Canadian Ford Dealer and find the (fix) or its No Sale. I`ll get my deposit back and he can just add my special order Vehicle to Retail Inventory and sell it at a higher markup to someone else. If the 1/100 of a mpg is Fords justification for their asinine Policy, I won`t be part of it, sorry. Again, the (mystery) continues and no one seems to have a definitive explanation. Maybe someone can call either Alan Mullaly or Bill Ford lll and get an answer?

I emailed Kevin Cours (National Sales Manager) to see if he can answer the "why" about this. Remember, this is the case for all new Fords and Lincolns, not just the MKZ. If we make some noise, maybe they will reconsider. Anyone who wants this option should email anyone they can because I assume they figure for every email, there must be many more that want it but wouldn't say anything. Like the proportions of a poll.

Edited by xgman

How are Canadian DRL's done on the MKZ, are they the lower lights or do they just use the Headlights as DRL's? I haven't seen any Canadian MKZ's yet to see how they operate. The LED's on the Escape and Focus are accent lights.

I like the LED's - the LED DRL's on the new Fusion(Mondeo) look fantastic, it is really sad that the are not offered on the U.S. Fusion. Ford really doesn't seem to offer different headlights in their vehicles in the U.S. (Atima, Accord, 6, Optima, Malibu all offer HID/LED headlights)

I'm guessing Ford's internal marketing studies show these features are not important to buyers of their vehicles and they don't include them. When they get a high amount of interest for them they do add them (HID's on F-150)

If enough people have issues with the DRL's on the MKZ they will be made standard.

Edited by jasonj80

So not MKZ related but today I noticed a US spec Escape with DRL's and it uses the Low beam Headlights, the Canadian Escapes use the Fog lights.So there are differences in the way they function.

U.S. Spec Ford Escape with DRL`s? (Not) LED`s? 2013 or 2014 MY? Was it a Fleet Vehicle? Did someone perform a "Magic Trick" and enable the DRL`s out of their Magicians Magic Hat IDS Programmer? Ahhhh, the Mystery continues.

U.S. Spec Ford Escape with DRL`s? (Not) LED`s? 2013 or 2014 MY? Was it a Fleet Vehicle? Did someone perform a "Magic Trick" and enable the DRL`s out of their Magicians Magic Hat IDS Programmer? Ahhhh, the Mystery continues.

It was a Fleet one I'm assuming - it was a SE with halogen lowbeam DRLs. It didn't have a barcode sticker and had MI plates. The Titanium's have the LED's and I see those often, but like I said before the Canadian ones with the LED's still use the Fogs as well.

I found a Lincoln dealer that was willing to do an electrical switch override in house, but the downside is that $45 "Fleet" option would become a minimum of a $300 job with the possibility of higher depending on the extent of the wiring work and accessibility.

Edited by xgman

I found a Lincoln dealer that was willing to do an electrical switch override in house, but the downside is that $45 "Fleet" option would become a minimum of a $300 job with the possibility of higher depending on the extent of the wiring work and accessibility.

No way I pay that.

There is a very well made after market DRL Module that installs in just 15 minutes and only cost about $70. It requires (no) wire cuts or splicing either! Worst case scenario I might go that route if) thats a big (if) my Ford Dealership is willing to install it and it won`t impair my new car warranty. Big question mark there since, its not an official Ford Genuine Authorized OEM aftermarket accessory. You can check it out at their Web Site. LiteMinder.com or call them in CA at 510-352-5483

I agree. It could have been so easy. Seems some Focus ST owners are also trying to figure out a workaround: http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-exterior/2828-enable-eyebrow-leds-drls.html

That was one hell of a long "thread" but really does not address my concern or issue. I simply want to "enable" or activate the regular High Beam or Low Beam Headlamp to work as a Daytime Running Light (DRL`s) which I had done on my 2011 Ford Fiesta. The Focus ST "thread" is basically attempting to utilize its LED Lamps as a Daytime Running Light. Since many Ford Vehicles do not have LEDs, it appears that the "Software" no longer permits access to the DRL`s in the Exterior Lighting section of the Body Control Module which normally would utilize the actual regular Headlamps as DRL`s.

There is a very well made after market DRL Module that installs in just 15 minutes and only cost about $70. It requires (no) wire cuts or splicing either! Worst case scenario I might go that route if) thats a big (if) my Ford Dealership is willing to install it and it won`t impair my new car warranty. Big question mark there since, its not an official Ford Genuine Authorized OEM aftermarket accessory. You can check it out at their Web Site. LiteMinder.com or call them in CA at 510-352-5483

or this one for $25, but I wouldn't have any idea how to do either. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Auto-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-On-OFF-Switch-p/aa1070.htm

Edited by xgman

or this one for $25, but I wouldn't have any idea how to do either. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Auto-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-On-OFF-Switch-p/aa1070.htm

For what its worth, I just spoke with the "Fleet Manager" at Mullinax Ford here in Florida about the absurdity of the "FIN" requirement to order the Daytime Running Light option # 942. Unfortunately, there is no way around it for a Retail Purchase. I asked him to check with his #1 Electronics Tech about MY 2013 DRL enabling. He told me he was there when he watched the Tech do the inquiry on his Work Station Computer with Ford Tech Support and it gave him specific details of how to "activate". He used a 2013 Ford C-Max U.S. Spec Vehicle for the inquiry and they said, no problem. Guess we will soon see. My order goes in next month for my 2014 C-Max so it probably will be late Summer before (I) know how this finally turns out. When I lived in MA, I would have just made a week-end trip up to Montreal to eat Smoked Meat and drink a few Pints of Molson Export (which by the way, the REAL Stuff, they Don`t export), and then hit a Canadian Ford Dealer who I know has the proper IDS Programmer Software to end the madness for sure. Best of luck in the mean time for those with their Vehicles in hand.

For what its worth, I just spoke with the "Fleet Manager" at Mullinax Ford here in Florida about the absurdity of the "FIN" requirement to order the Daytime Running Light option # 942. Unfortunately, there is no way around it for a Retail Purchase. I asked him to check with his #1 Electronics Tech about MY 2013 DRL enabling. He told me he was there when he watched the Tech do the inquiry on his Work Station Computer with Ford Tech Support and it gave him specific details of how to "activate". He used a 2013 Ford C-Max U.S. Spec Vehicle for the inquiry and they said, no problem. Guess we will soon see. My order goes in next month for my 2014 C-Max so it probably will be late Summer before (I) know how this finally turns out. When I lived in MA, I would have just made a week-end trip up to Montreal to eat Smoked Meat and drink a few Pints of Molson Export (which by the way, the REAL Stuff, they Don`t export), and then hit a Canadian Ford Dealer who I know has the proper IDS Programmer Software to end the madness for sure. Best of luck in the mean time for those with their Vehicles in hand.

2014 C-max Job one is now not until Late 4Q.

As for the DRL the short version is that they don't meet requirements for DRL's in the USA. It has to deal with visibility and signal placement, that is why the Escape in the US and Canada use different DRL's. Same with the Focus, for the Focus to use the LED's as DRL's the LED would need to turn off on that side of the car when the turn signal is activated and change the way it functions, this isn't an issue with the Escape as the turn signal is lower than the DRL and therefor can be used as you can still see the turn signal. Ford must not wire cars in such a way that the computer can control the DRL's as what happens on VAG GM and Chrysler vehicles where the DRL's is interrupted on the side of the vehicle the turn signal is on. You can't use the Fog lights as DRL's in the USA as it is a secondary light and not allowed.

This is why Ford (and other manufactures) are petitioning the government to toss the US lighting std and use the one the rest of the world uses.

That still doesn't explain why Ford stands alone in not having the LED's on in the daytime like everyone else. stupid misstep in my opinion. One way or the other I'm going to most likely have them wire up an override.

Edited by xgman

If it doesn't help sell vehicles then it's not a priority. And since they're selling every one they can make right now it probably won't be a priority until Flat Rock comes online. I'm sure they're working on it or looking at it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it stupid.

That still doesn't explain why Ford stands alone in not having the LED's on in the daytime like everyone else. stupid misstep in my opinion. One way or the other I'm going to most likely have them wire up an override.

They do it because with the way the system is currently is not legal under federal law.

2014 C-max Job one is now not until Late 4Q.

As for the DRL the short version is that they don't meet requirements for DRL's in the USA. It has to deal with visibility and signal placement, that is why the Escape in the US and Canada use different DRL's. Same with the Focus, for the Focus to use the LED's as DRL's the LED would need to turn off on that side of the car when the turn signal is activated and change the way it functions, this isn't an issue with the Escape as the turn signal is lower than the DRL and therefor can be used as you can still see the turn signal. Ford must not wire cars in such a way that the computer can control the DRL's as what happens on VAG GM and Chrysler vehicles where the DRL's is interrupted on the side of the vehicle the turn signal is on. You can't use the Fog lights as DRL's in the USA as it is a secondary light and not allowed.

This is why Ford (and other manufactures) are petitioning the government to toss the US lighting std and use the one the rest of the world uses.

I`m thoroughly confused. Assuming that DRL`s (NOT) LED`s, are enabled or activated by simply using the High Beam or Low Beam Headlamp as Daytime Running Lamps at 75% / 80% reduced illumination, what does that have to do with either Fog Lamps, Turn Signals, Parking Lamps, or anything else? Using the Headlamps as DRL`s versus using LED`s as Daytime Running Lamps needing a different configuration are two separate issues, right?

I`m thoroughly confused. Assuming that DRL`s (NOT) LED`s, are enabled or activated by simply using the High Beam or Low Beam Headlamp as Daytime Running Lamps at 75% / 80% reduced illumination, what does that have to do with either Fog Lamps, Turn Signals, Parking Lamps, or anything else? Using the Headlamps as DRL`s versus using LED`s as Daytime Running Lamps needing a different configuration are two separate issues, right?

If you just want the headlights as DRL's then really nothing. If you wanted to use the lower lights as DRL's then it becomes an issue.

Ford for whatever reason has changed the way they are configured and the change is not easy in the car apparently. It could be something that Ford doesn't want cheap cars from the US ending up in Canada hurting resale values of their vehicles there so they make it more difficult to enable them, or they figured out they could save 50cents a car and not have that option, or change the option in the computer and maybe have a service tech mistakenly turn on the DRL's but in a Canadian setting that would be illegal for a US car. Ford hasn't embraced DRL's and doesn't appear to be for whatever reason.

If you want the headlights on all the time maybe just put some electrical tape over the autolamp sensor and leave the lights in automode?

I can see your frustration, I mean as I said earlier I can't figure out why Ford can't just make DRL's an option in the menu's if you want them - turn them on, if you don't turn it off, it's as simple as the check box. I still think it is dumb that the Focus / MKZ has LED that could easily be used for this purpose. Ford really hasn't put an emphases on outside lighting of vehicles in the USA, they used to lead they now seem to follow the rest of the industry in that regard. Now interior lighting - they are at the front of the pack - I think its cool that the interior door lights turn red on the MKZ if the door is open, and the accent lighting around the cabin is very cool.

I live in South Florida and obviously a lot of Canadians Winter here. Some do purchase US Spec Vehicles and return back to Canada with them. Minor inconvenience of having to look at MPH instead of KPH on the outer Speedometer Cluster but other then that, except for the French/English Decals and the (lack) of DRL`s, same Vehicle AND several thousands of Dollars less costly since the (exchange) rate now is almost the same. Canadian Vehicles do usually get extra (Content) included and often don`t have to pay for Paint Color Upgrades. When they get back to Canada, (obviously) the Ford Canada Dealers know how to perform the "magic trick" and enable and activate the DRL`s. Once the Canadians "Register" and Title their New Vehicles in their Home Province, they end up paying almost the same price in Taxes and Import Duties eliminating most of their original savings. Like I Posted earlier, Chrysler who also is a DRL holdout at least offers it to US Consumers as an extra cost Option or Dealer Installed Plug In Module. I don`t believe that Vehicle`s that go down the same assembly line, some going to Canada and the rest to the US and its Territories have different wiring harness`s or different Body Control Modules. Fleet Buyers can get the DRL`s as an option and are charge a mere $45 for a click of the "Mouse" to change the Software. IMO, complete and total nonsense regardless of how one feels about the matter. Case Closed!

Edited by phil1336

I predict that all new ford & Lincoln models will have these lights on by 2015 and the idiot who decided to keep them off will be working in a donuts shop.

I hope so... I'm remembering back to Lee Iococca's direct interference in Chrysler design from the 80's when he absolutely insisted that landau roofs and wire wheels and 90 degree angle rooflines were timeless when the rest of the industry had long moved on. Witness, for example, this New Yorker:

chrysler-new-yorker-air-ride-suspension.

I imagine the same thing happened somewhere in Ford when someone prominent said, "I hate those crap Audi lights. Just knockin' off those BMW clown halos. No way in hell we're doin' those."

Ooops...