Mis-alignment between left side of dashboard and driver's door

MSPFusion

Hello. This is my first post. First, I'd like to thank everyone for the useful info on the forum.

My Ruby Red Titanium AWD (Driver's Assist, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Parking Assist, 19" H-spokes and spoiler delete) is on the train at long last. Thanks to this forum and the information about getting the brochure, it will cost me $750 less.

Last week while traveling on business I was able to rent an SE. I travel a lot for business and I've rented 2013 Escapes a lot and I have considered buying one. I was surprised, and disappointed, to see a big mis-alignment between the left side of the dashboard and the driver's door inside panel. It was off a good 3/16 of an inch. Also, between the left-side a-pillar and the top of the dash there was a 1/8inch or so gap that allowed me to see foam under the top of the dashboard. I sent my sales rep an Iphone picture of it and he said that his personal car has something similar. Is this common? When I look at the brochure pictures I don't see this. This just isn't the way it should be and it certainly marred the appearance of an otherwise beautiful car.

With this post I'm attempting to upload the Iphone picture. The picture shows the misalignment around the vent and door panel trim. Less clear is the gap at the top of the two panels. Please let me know if your cars have something similar.

Thanks,

post-49472-0-62662600-1361118325_thumb.jpg

post-49472-0-62662600-1361118325_thumb.jpg

Just looked at two at the dealer, stopped by while running errands. They were also a bit off in the same place, though not as bad as the rental that I had. We'll see how mine looks when it arrives.

On my inspection list:

- Door seal moldings, as posted on this forum

- Front passenger door speaker rattle - also posted on this forum.

- General check of panel alignment

- This issue - the left front dash alignment

Nonetheless, this feels like being 7 and waiting for Christmas morning. These are beautiful cars. As soon as mine arrives its going to a detailer for the 3M film and paint sealant. I live in Minnesota so I want to make sure those things are done right away.

I just noticed the alignment on my trunk lid is off it's sad a $37,000 car got out like that im gonna check mine out fully now

Let's be honest. This is hardly a $37k car. Sure, it may cost that much for the trim/options that you want, but in the end it's still a $21k mid-range sedan.

• Like 2

Interesting discussion.

If the Fusion is a $21k mid-range sedan then what is an MKZ?

Right now I drive a 2001 Audi A6. The VW Passat of the same era was the same car, just a tad smaller, not quite as well appointed and with no AWD option. I bought my A6 slightly used and very depreciated. Was the A6 worth the premium? What about Lexus models that are obviously upgraded Toyotas? The list goes on.

The Fusion has been criticized in the automotive press for being too expensive, but compare it feature for feature to an Audi A4. Factor in the cost of maintaining the Audi.

To me the Fusion is a great value. I guess after driving an A6 anything is!

Interesting discussion.

If the Fusion is a $21k mid-range sedan then what is an MKZ?

Right now I drive a 2001 Audi A6. The VW Passat of the same era was the same car, just a tad smaller, not quite as well appointed and with no AWD option. I bought my A6 slightly used and very depreciated. Was the A6 worth the premium? What about Lexus models that are obviously upgraded Toyotas? The list goes on.

The Fusion has been criticized in the automotive press for being too expensive, but compare it feature for feature to an Audi A4. Factor in the cost of maintaining the Audi.

To me the Fusion is a great value. I guess after driving an A6 anything is!

Don't get me wrong. I love this car. The options/features/quality are phenomenal, especially for the price. What I'm saying here is that the base model, no-optioned Fusion S is $21,700 MSRP. That car is put together the exact same way as the $40,200 MSRP Fusion Energi. Aside from the power plant, that extra $19k or so is mainly for driver-aid/tech options, as well as some minor cosmetic options as well. The panels are still put together the same way, the glove box still latches the same way, etc. So you can't expect this car to have the same refined feel to it as a luxury sedan. I didn't buy it with the expectation that everything was going to be whisper quiet like an S-Class, but I'm more than thrilled at it's ability to do actually be whisper quiet. That make sense?

Your point about the MKZ vs. Fusion, Audi vs. VW, etc. is exactly what I was getting at. We saved money by getting the "cheaper" version. If this were happening in the MKZ, it's a totally different story (and worthy of outrage) But the OP rented a Fusion SE. Hardly a $37k car.

Edited by boogs

Boogs you are right. But I'd also say that the differences between almost any $25k car and a $60k car get down to those same things. An ABS sensor is an ABS sensor. A seat belt is a seat belt. You can go buy a $60k Range Rover Evoque with the same 2.0 Liter Ecoboost engine and 8 speed transmission that you get in a $32k Ford Escape. A premium car gives you better cosmetics, some nicer materials, some additional options and it gives the manufacturer MUCH bigger margins.

Most mid-market cars these days are very well put together. I've rented a number of Hyundai Sonatas and they seem well put-together. That Fusion SE I rented was pretty well loaded - leather, Ecoboost (I think the 1.6) Ford will need to get these alignment issues fixed if they want to compete.

Missileman thanks for the post. Yours looks much like the rental that I had, except as you mentioned the a-pillar gap is closed. Have you thought about mentioning it to the dealer? The sales rep at my dealer sent me a picture of his, and it is better aligned than the rental I had. I looked at a few at the dealer on Sunday and they also looked better than the rental.

I think we need to make some noise about this. Ford can do better than this.

Yeah, I had the same thought - would you want the dealer to mess around with it? I hope you will press them on it, you can always decide to not proceed with a repair, but it would be nice to have an option. My car is on the train right now. I hope they got everything lined up well on mine.

Mine looks a lot like what missleman88 posted. Honestly, I didn't notice it until I saw this thread and looked at it today while I was in the car. Maybe I'm just not that particular about something like that. From my view in the drivers seat, it looks like it doesn't align perfectly on the passengers side either. I didn't bother sitting on that side to compare if it is equal to the drivers side, or if one side is more misaligned than the other.

Personally, I definitely won't have the dealer try to "fix" this. On my car, if you look at the dash and the door independantly:

- from the outside, the door is aligned so it looks like it is installed correctly, so I wouldn't want them adjusting that in any way

- on the inside, the dash feels solid and looks correct with the exception of this possible alignment issue.

It just seems to me like any messing around with a very minor cosmetic defect like this is just asking for trouble. After all, it's 3/16" or less.

• Like 3

I agree it would be concerning to have them mess with it but at the same time...it isn't perfect. You paid the same amount of money as someone else that has it aligned perfectly.

My door chrome trim was misaligned and I had them fix it at the first oil change. It took all day and they gave me a rental. But they completely agreed and said it's not perfect so they'll fix it. So far nothing negative with the door has happened as a result of the fix....(fingers crossed). I realize this is probably a much easier fix than the dash but...just my .02.

I agree it would be concerning to have them mess with it but at the same time...it isn't perfect. You paid the same amount of money as someone else that has it aligned perfectly.

If someone shows me a picture of one that is perfectly aligned, then maybe I'll mention it when I bring the car in to the dealer for other service. But until then, mine looks like all the other ones that I've seen.

Glad yours is lined up nicely FusionHybrid. In my opinion they should all look like this, from a Ford PR shot. I agree with the people who are saying that they may not want the dealer to take things apart to fix the alignment. But I wonder if the alignment is as far off as the one that I rented then what else isn't put together right in the dash?

The top of the door panel and the top of the dash panel should line up, the trim around the vent on the dash and the trim around the buttons on the door should also line up.

Here is the PR Shot, and I will have this with me when I go in to inspect mine when I buy it. If they are off, it is going to be a point of discussion:

2013-Ford-Fusion-Interior-2.jpeg

Glad yours is lined up nicely FusionHybrid. In my opinion they should all look like this, from a Ford PR shot. I agree with the people who are saying that they may not want the dealer to take things apart to fix the alignment. But I wonder if the alignment is as far off as the one that I rented then what else isn't put together right in the dash?

The top of the door panel and the top of the dash panel should line up, the trim around the vent on the dash and the trim around the buttons on the door should also line up.

Just don't take boogs with you ;)

Hello. This is my first post. First, I'd like to thank everyone for the useful info on the forum.

My Ruby Red Titanium AWD (Driver's Assist, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Parking Assist, 19" H-spokes and spoiler delete) is on the train at long last. Thanks to this forum and the information about getting the brochure, it will cost me $750 less.

Last week while traveling on business I was able to rent an SE. I travel a lot for business and I've rented 2013 Escapes a lot and I have considered buying one. I was surprised, and disappointed, to see a big mis-alignment between the left side of the dashboard and the driver's door inside panel. It was off a good 3/16 of an inch. Also, between the left-side a-pillar and the top of the dash there was a 1/8inch or so gap that allowed me to see foam under the top of the dashboard. I sent my sales rep an Iphone picture of it and he said that his personal car has something similar. Is this common? When I look at the brochure pictures I don't see this. This just isn't the way it should be and it certainly marred the appearance of an otherwise beautiful car.

With this post I'm attempting to upload the Iphone picture. The picture shows the misalignment around the vent and door panel trim. Less clear is the gap at the top of the two panels. Please let me know if your cars have something similar.

Thanks,

So my car arrived at the dealership today and was in the shop to get tinted. I looked over it 100% considering it was really dirty on the outside. I looked at this pillar and mine was exactly like this. I spoke to the sales manager (who was taking care of me since it was my sales mans day off) and he noticed it and didn't think it was right too. So we looked at a Titanium that they had on the lot and the fit was perfect. So he will have it fixed for me before I pick it up Saturday morning. I'm not too worried about alignment with the door and the dash, but I don't like seeing a hole between the dash and the pillar.

I'll be taking mine in for the same issue soon. I have another gap between the vent and the headlight controls that is more bothersome to me than the misalignment though.

20130222_075432.jpg

Passenger side:

20130222_075446.jpg

I also have several paint defects that aren't terrible but they annoy me because they shouldn't be there. They look worse in person. It looks like there is debris under the paint. These are in the rain channels on the roof. I also have a spot on the front bumper that I keep forgetting to get a picture of.

20130116_204110.jpg

20130116_204022.jpg