Honda Accord Plug-in dealer markup

rprobst

My local Honda dealer just got in their first Accord Plug-in. MSRP is $40,570, but the dealer has added $7,500 to that, for a grand total of $48,070. The GM said with Facebook just up the road one direction, and Google down the road the other direction, there are probably people who won't mind the markup.

No, definitely not. This is pure dealer markup. The GM said that Honda told him he would get exactly 2 Accord Plug-ins for 2013, so he is not trying to move this car quickly. He wants to see if a buyer will show up who doesn't care about an extra $7500 -- and in this neighborhood, that's not unlikely. I have been seeing a lot of Teslas lately.

Also, there are no options on the Accord Plug-in. It comes one way. Moonroof, adaptive cruise, parking assist, leather seats are not offered. But otherwise matches a fully-loaded Fusion Energi: voice-driven navigation, lane-keeping, blind-spot, dual climate, etc.

No, definitely not. This is pure dealer markup. The GM said that Honda told him he would get exactly 2 Accord Plug-ins for 2013, so he is not trying to move this car quickly. He wants to see if a buyer will show up who doesn't care about an extra $7500 -- and in this neighborhood, that's not unlikely. I have been seeing a lot of Teslas lately.

Let us know how this one turns out for the dealer...I have a hard time believing that he'll be able to get mark-up.

A Tesla competes in a completely different market than the Accord Plug-in. Just because people will pay for a Tesla doesn't meant that they will pay more for an Accord Plug-in that looks a lot like a garden-variety Accord, let alone another $7,500 on top of that.

Well, Silicon Valley is sort of electric-car crazy. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I'm electric-car crazy myself...

But I think the GM is just going to see what the market will bear, and will drop the markup if nobody bites soon. He hinted that I should check back later.

My salesman said he once sold a Shelby GT500 when they were hard to get. Some rich guy in New York wanted one but dealers in New York had none available. So they ordered him a GT500 over the phone and had it shipped directly to New York - they never saw the vehicle. But they did get a $20K ADM. Salesman said he only got a $300 commission on the sale!