I Am In Color Change Hell!

CaliRN

Has anyone reading this done what I just did: change your mind on the color of your special order car only to change your mind again the very next day?? My build date is March 25 and on Tuesday of this week I called my dealer and asked to change the color of my HyTi from sterling gray to platinum white thinking that in the long run I would be happier with platinum white, even though my first instinct had been to go with the sterling gray because both my husband and I really liked that color.

The dealer contacted Ford and was able to make the change. The very next day (yesterday) I went to a different dealer and spent 15 minutes studying a sterling gray and platinum white fusion sitting side-by-side on the lot. That's when I realized I made a big mistake. I called my dealer and asked him to call Ford back and switch my order back to sterling gray. I feel so bad to put the dealer through this hassle, although he has been very kind about the whole thing.

As of today the dealer has not heard back from Ford as to whether he can make any further changes to my order. He said he should have an answer by next Monday orTuesday. Since my build date is 10 days away, which means a window sticker ought to be generated in about 5 days, does anyone know whether it's too late to make another color change at this point? :banghead:

I'm in a bit of a toss up as far as colors go. I'm really starting to like Platinum White now. Deep Impact blue is another color. I personally found Sterling Gray and Silver to understate the car a bit. My personal opinion. However almost every color is a great one and you can't go wrong with either color you chose.

Yipes, green! Maybe a pale metallic/pearlescent? Yeah, that would be cool. As for dark silver or pearl white, they are both nice, but you have to be fully sure about the paint color, because you will be living with it. If it's not right, you will be reminded of it every time you look at it. But fret not. Even if they build it, you can always let the dealer sell it to someone else, and order another. They will have no problem selling it.

I'd originally ordered mine in sterling gray -- very James Bond, that color. But after thinking it over for a few days I changed the order to oxford white. I know the platinum white tri-coat is more popular, but seeing the two colors next to each other on the dealer's lot I really liked the stark beauty of the pure, bright white oxford and found the platinum a little muted by comparison.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's interesting to read about your own thought process and experiences in choosing your perfect color. I finally realized that either way I won't be disappointed. Whether it's white platinum or sterling gray I am going to love my new car. So now I am just waiting to hear which one it will be!

• Like 1

It's nice to get other people's points of view. I never looked at Sterling Gray as being like James Bond's Aston Martin. Now I see that! Now that Ginger Ale is gone (sorry it's my opinion lol) I don't think there's a bad color to choose from!

LOL, I can relate. I started out with Bordeaux, then changed to Ruby Red, then changed to Platinum, and then ended up buying one from stock that was bordeaux. Truth is, I'd have been happy with any of those colors :)

I showed my gf the colors I was looking at and she fell in love with Bordeaux Reserve! I told her it wasn't happening lol!

Edited by HenryVIII

what's wrong with deep impact blue?

No need to get butt hurt about someone not liking the same color as you. Who knows, maybe you hate sterling gray or bordeaux reserve. It's all good, that's why we have choices. :grouphug:

• Like 1

No need to get butt hurt about someone not liking the same color as you. Who knows, maybe you hate sterling gray or bordeaux reserve. It's all good, that's why we have choices. :grouphug:

Lol, no worries. I was just curious what he didn't like about that color.

I am one of the few that loved the ginger ale color but switch to blue after Ford discontinued that color. After seeing the blue, I switched to sterling gray. You cannot go wrong with gray or white. I wish they had a green though.

we are the few, the proud(?), the lovers of green on cars.

Funny, I did the same thing with my dealer. Started out wanting White Platinum but thought it had a little too much "champagne" color in person (for a young male driver). My next color was Sterling, but the metal flake is so large that you can tell in direct sunlight that different components of the car are painted at different times (flakes on the gas door reflect differently than the rest of the car, same with the bumpers). That made me switch my order to silver, but I wasn't a huge fan of silver since we already have a silver car. Oxford white was the safest bet, plus I think it will look great with the extra chrome trim on the Titanium. Tinted windows and new wheels will hopefully keep it from looking like a rental car! :)

I think Ford needs to do some major research on the colors they offer. So many other manufacturers make a better white, silver, dark grey, etc.

Has anyone reading this done what I just did: change your mind on the color of your special order car only to change your mind again the very next day?? My build date is March 25 and on Tuesday of this week I called my dealer and asked to change the color of my HyTi from sterling gray to platinum white thinking that in the long run I would be happier with platinum white, even though my first instinct had been to go with the sterling gray because both my husband and I really liked that color.

The dealer contacted Ford and was able to make the change. The very next day (yesterday) I went to a different dealer and spent 15 minutes studying a sterling gray and platinum white fusion sitting side-by-side on the lot. That's when I realized I made a big mistake. I called my dealer and asked him to call Ford back and switch my order back to sterling gray. I feel so bad to put the dealer through this hassle, although he has been very kind about the whole thing.

As of today the dealer has not heard back from Ford as to whether he can make any further changes to my order. He said he should have an answer by next Monday orTuesday. Since my build date is 10 days away, which means a window sticker ought to be generated in about 5 days, does anyone know whether it's too late to make another color change at this point? :banghead:

Dealer do not "call" Ford with changes to "Retail" orders. All changes to vehicle orders... stock, retail, fleet, special plan, etc... are always submitted via the Ford CONCEPS ordering program. If the order is already scheduled the spec change is submitted pending plant processing. The ordering Dealer will then receive an updated DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) the following day showing that the submitted AVO (Alter Vehicle Order) changes have been processed and accepted.

Dealer do not "call" Ford with changes to "Retail" orders. All changes to vehicle orders... stock, retail, fleet, special plan, etc... are always submitted via the Ford CONCEPS ordering program. If the order is already scheduled the spec change is submitted pending plant processing. The ordering Dealer will then receive an updated DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) the following day showing that the submitted AVO (Alter Vehicle Order) changes have been processed and accepted.

Ice-capades, thank you for your vast knowledge of the Ford ordering process and for sharing it with those of us who have no idea how Ford's system works. Having said that, can you please explain to me what 'balanced out" and "job last" means. Thanks.

I was all over the place on color too. I started out with Ginger Ale, then went to Bordeaux Reserve, then at the last minute switched to Silver. I wasn't ordering, but they were getting me the car from another dealership. They were already making arrangements to get my Bordeaux car when I changed to silver. I eliminated blue, black and grey right away simply because I've owned similar colors before and I wanted something different. Any of the others I would've been fine with though.