OEM Tires shipped on Hybrid Titaniums

Wow, this has degraded quickly. Don't you think that if they could get more mileage out of a car for the window sticker(advertised numbers) they would have a higher inflation on the door tag(which is what they have to run during the tests). The costs outweigh the benefits or Ford would have set the inflation higher.

Also, FYI, my 1.6 SE 6MT Lux package 17" are Michelin Green tires. which are LRR

Yeah, its so simple that the car engineers looked over that small fact for decades. I mean if you can get that much usable MPG over super inflated tires, why are the manufacturers not doing it? Oh wait, I know why...

And the one off examples of stunt cars (as we all drive on two wheels time to time) and over inflation of truck pickup tires (as we put truck tires on our sedans to haul mulch) as case specific and not daily driving practices. Some of hyper milers habits are dangerous and safety concerns such as this tire issue, tailgating vehicles and ridge riding.

• Like 1

Some of hyper milers habits are dangerous and safety concerns such as this tire issue, tailgating vehicles and ridge riding.

+1

Performing these hypermiling stunts in a controlled environment on a closed track is fine.

Incorporating them into daily driving on public roads is delusional.

Yeah, its so simple that the car engineers looked over that small fact for decades. I mean if you can get that much usable MPG over super inflated tires, why are the manufacturers not doing it? Oh wait, I know why... And the one off examples of stunt cars (as we all drive on two wheels time to time) and over inflation of truck pickup tires (as we put truck tires on our sedans to haul mulch) as case specific and not daily driving practices. Some of hyper milers habits are dangerous and safety concerns such as this tire issue, tailgating vehicles and ridge riding.

I can see you have no clue that Ford and other manufactures pay some of us hypermilers to train their engineers how to improve MPG. Ford makes money selling tires. Stupid people will believe anything, so why not sell them new tires every 25,000 miles because someone is going to get their money if they don't.

The great hypermiler Wayne Gerdes trained Ford Engineers and Carl Edwards to get over 80mpg and go 1345 miles on a single tank of gas, ask him what tire pressure they had in that 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Put up or shut up about safety hazards if you know of any. Same thing about handling! Hypermilers don't need to tailgate and ridge riding is on the far right hand of a lane to avoid dangerous rain puddles and keep their vehicle under control. Learn how to drive before opening your mouth about people who know how to drive.

I tried to tell you guys......
oh we have them on other boards i visit and the arguments and murky logic is the same. :-D

I can see you have no clue that Ford and other manufactures pay some of us hypermilers to train their engineers how to improve MPG. Ford makes money selling tires. Stupid people will believe anything, so why not sell them new tires every 25,000 miles because someone is going to get their money if they don't.

The great hypermiler Wayne Gerdes trained Ford Engineers and Carl Edwards to get over 80mpg and go 1345 miles on a single tank of gas, ask him what tire pressure they had in that 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Put up or shut up about safety hazards if you know of any. Same thing about handling! Hypermilers don't need to tailgate and ridge riding is on the far right hand of a lane to avoid dangerous rain puddles and keep their vehicle under control. Learn how to drive before opening your mouth about people who know how to drive.

Again, Ford paid people in theory to see how tbey were doing it...het non of those items made it mai stream yet? Right? Have I missed the recommended tire pressure label on my inside door label? So while its research, it does not prove its safe or provides extreme MPG gains.

And you wouldnt have to ridge ride in the rain for those uber dangerous puddles if you had properly inflated tires. When you have tires inflated at 35 psi and 90 psi, what does your contact patch measure for a 215/17/55 for both pressure assuming that the corner load for each pressure is equal? And when that contact patch shrinks as over pressuring does, why not just eqhip the cafs with very narrow tires? Does the same thing..right?

And as for "knowing how to drive"...nice jab. However has nothing to do with this.

oh we have them on other boards i visit and the arguments and murky logic is the same. :-D Again, Ford paid people in theory to see how tbey were doing it...het non of those items made it mai stream yet? Right? Have I missed the recommended tire pressure label on my inside door label? So while its research, it does not prove its safe or provides extreme MPG gains. And you wouldnt have to ridge ride in the rain for those uber dangerous puddles if you had properly inflated tires. When you have tires inflated at 35 psi and 90 psi, what does your contact patch measure for a 215/17/55 for both pressure assuming that the corner load for each pressure is equal? And when that contact patch shrinks as over pressuring does, why not just eqhip the cafs with very narrow tires? Does the same thing..right? And as for "knowing how to drive"...nice jab. However has nothing to do with this.

Only post sober if you can!

Ford makes money on tires? I can guarantee NO car manufacturer or car dealer has ever made money off of my tire purchases. Please tell me how TireRack, NTB, Discount Tire, MR Tire, Sears, or any other tires shops(or manufacturers like Michelin and Goodyear) where most of the tires in the US are sold pays Ford anything. And avoid dangerous rain puddles? I'm guessing since you just mention puddles that you have to full out stop driving during a downpour? That is the point of having properly inflated tires with good tread, you can safely go through rain puddles that are safe to all but people who think they know better than everyone else. The safety of myself, my family and the rest of the population driving next to me isn't worth the few dollars saved by over inflating tires.

Edited by gazingwa

+1

Performing these hypermiling stunts in a controlled environment on a closed track is fine.

Incorporating them into daily driving on public roads is delusional.

You need to learn a lot about driving a car! You are crazy if you think we don't drive in everyday traffic and get twice the MPG you are getting. Being stupid doesn't mean we all have to be.

You need to learn a lot about driving a car! You are crazy if you think we don't drive in everyday traffic and get twice the MPG you are getting. Being stupid doesn't mean we all have to be.

I've been teaching high performance driving to students for well over a decade at tracks like Watkins Glen, Mont Tremblant, Lime Rock Park, Elkhart Lake, etc. I've been running and teaching winter driving schools for over 15 years and regularly donate my time energy and money to teach kids how to be safer drivers. I've owned everything from GTO Judge's to Rabbit Diesels to Fiat 128SL's and so on. I commuted in Boston traffic 100 miles daily for almost 15 years and to this day remain accident and ticket free at age 50. I've driven in all 50 states and by the mercy of Gawd almighty I don't think I have managed to suffer the kind of arrogance of your kind of hypermiling as yet. You are not only dangerous to yourself, you are dangerous to others. I am relieved to know that your "being stupid" doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Thanks for setting me straight.

• Like 2

I've been teaching high performance driving to students for well over a decade at tracks like Watkins Glen, Mont Tremblant, Lime Rock Park, Elkhart Lake, etc. I've been running and teaching winter driving schools for over 15 years and regularly donate my time energy and money to teach kids how to be safer drivers. I've owned everything from GTO Judge's to Rabbit Diesels to Fiat 128SL's and so on. I commuted in Boston traffic 100 miles daily for almost 15 years and to this day remain accident and ticket free at age 50. I've driven in all 50 states and by the mercy of Gawd almighty I don't think I have managed to suffer the kind of arrogance of your kind of hypermiling as yet. You are not only dangerous to yourself, you are dangerous to others. I am relieved to know that your "being stupid" doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. Thanks for setting me straight.

Now, what does your post matter to OEM tires on a Titanium Hybrid model? I'm not impressed with your performance driving teaching because you would never want to go up against my

'67 GT500 with a 427 CI dual 600 CFM Holy 10 second 1/4 mile street machine.

I'm arrogant because of stupid people trying to say I can only get the mileage in a controlled course. You should not be teaching but learning at your old age. I can see you've messed up our young people.

Get a real Job!

Now, what does your post matter to OEM tires on a Titanium Hybrid model? I'm not impressed with your performance driving teaching because you would never want to go up against my

I'm arrogant because of stupid people trying to say I can only get the mileage in a controlled course. You should not be teaching but learning at your old age. I can see you've messed up our young people.

Get a real Job!

"67 GT500 with a 427 CI dual 600 CFM Holy 10 second 1/4 mile street machine."

Your GT500 is an automatic, is it a convertible?

Edited by abjb

Get a real Job!

Hmmm, I thought you could only get those kind of numbers with a 600 CFM Holley, but if "Holy" works for you certainly God himself is on your side.... you're right, I can't beat that, but I got a little blown 2.3L staion wagon that will do sub 15's without breathing hard and with a big dog laying down in the back comfortably. I have a real job, what's your excuse Honey? Oh, sorry, you asked a question. You were the one that veered miserably off topic and started giving dangerous advice. I only sought to point out the obvious, but you are oblivious.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I thought you could only get those kind of numbers with a 600 CFM Holley, but if "Holy" works for you certainly God himself is on your side.... you're right, I can't beat that, but I got a little blown 2.3L staion wagon that will do sub 15's without breathing hard and with a big dog laying down in the back comfortably. I have a real job, what's your excuse Honey? Oh, sorry, you asked a question. You were the one that veered miserably off topic and started giving dangerous advice. I only sought to point out the obvious, but you are oblivious.

there are 2 600's on the GT500.

Nice high dollar cars for a mustang with a buch of bolt on Ford part, Shelby didn't have much

(some just not as much as the earlier cars, almost none by 68)

input on the 67.

So why would Ford use a non-LRR tire? Are the 235/45R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2's going to drop MPG by any noticeable amount?

(I notice Goodyear does not make an 18 inch Assurance Fuel Max tire.)

That's a good question. It likely comes down to availability and price. I expect my HyTi to be delivered in the next couple of weeks and I dislike the looks of the wheels so much that I have already ordered 17 inch aftermarket rims with Michelin Energy LRR tires. Given that even the 17's are fitted with a fairly low profile 50 series tire I'm good with my decision. There will certainly be a loss of grip with the Mich Energy but this isn't a race car and I'm sure the handling and grip will remain competent and compliant. I will also save some cash every time I need to buy tires and I will offset the cost of the new rims and tires by selling the 18's that came with the car as new take-offs complete with sensors. Ideally, I'd love to find a Fusion or Fusion Hybrid owner that would like to trade their factory 17's for my factory 18's so that I can use their 17's for snow tires. I'm usually not that hung up on looks and its a personal choice/observation but I just REALLY do not like the Ford factory 18's that the HyTi's are coming equipped with.

That's a good question. It likely comes down to availability and price. I expect my HyTi to be delivered in the next couple of weeks and I dislike the looks of the wheels so much that I have already ordered 17 inch aftermarket rims with Michelin Energy LRR tires. Given that even the 17's are fitted with a fairly low profile 50 series tire I'm good with my decision. There will certainly be a loss of grip with the Mich Energy but this isn't a race car and I'm sure the handling and grip will remain competent and compliant. I will also save some cash every time I need to buy tires and I will offset the cost of the new rims and tires by selling the 18's that came with the car as new take-offs complete with sensors. Ideally, I'd love to find a Fusion or Fusion Hybrid owner that would like to trade their factory 17's for my factory 18's so that I can use their 17's for snow tires. I'm usually not that hung up on looks and its a personal choice/observation but I just REALLY do not like the Ford factory 18's that the HyTi's are coming equipped with.

I would much rather EPA numbers get put up with nonLRR tires honestly. That way I know if I "just put tires on" I will be in the ballpark and if I choose to put LRR's on then I can get even better MPG. Wasn't there a Fusion S a while ago that got 4x with gas engine because it was classifed differently and it came down to reduced weight and LRR's being standard.

• Like 1

Ok, enough of that. Let's just get :backtotopic:

Sorry, was just trying to show he has a tendency to uuhhh make the truth a little better than it is.

A 67 GT500 in the 10's.....

Back on topic:

I have a C-Max, when it's time for tires I'll do a lot of math.

Which will cost less over the life of the tire?

LRR tires are great but do they save $?

Will a tire with a larger circumference save more?

Will a 60K tire versus a 40K mile LRR save $'s?

Will a cheaper tire than a LRR pay for its self?

there are 2 600's on the GT500.

Nice high dollar cars for a mustang with a buch of bolt on Ford part, Shelby didn't have much

(some just not as much as the earlier cars, almost none by 68)

input on the 67.

In 1966, Shelby built only 513 GT350's and GT500's 1967 models when he lost his lease at the LAX airport. Shelby sold the Shelby name to Ford that year and the remainder of '67 Shelby's were built by Ford in Michigan I believe. Those remaining '67 Shelby's Ford built did not have the racing components the original GT500's had like my 202'nd earlier model. Most GT500's came with a 428CI engine as mine did, but I found a 427CI medium riser long block that came out of a racing boat. I rebuilt that 427 engine into a wicked race engine and put it in my '67 GT500 with the two 600 CFM Holly's that came with the car. The only way you can tell a 428 from a 427 from the outside is the 427 has 4 bolt main bearing caps (cross bolts) and a larger oil pan. I had a 427 top loader 4 speed transmission, the high beams were together which Ford spread apart on their '67 models. I think my Shelby sold new for around $4300.00. The original '67 Shelby's were built for racing and the Ford models were not after Shelby sold to Ford.

I just can't help but LOL. A posting by a moderator and then right back at it... :dogwalk:

Controlling the power of a race engine all goes back to the tires. I was years ahead of the competition in the '70's by doing burn patterns with my Shelby. I made sure the air pressure in my tires created an even tire burn across the tread on the pavement as I started at the starting line. Many racers said they have never been beaten out of the hole by my Shelby like that.

This thread is about tires and MPG. No one on earth has come close to my '09 FEH lifetime MPG of 53.9. I make Ford owners proud by kicking ass with their vehicles! LOL about that...