Looks like the EPA estimates were right after all....

boogs

I did some testing on a 5 hour one-way vacation trip. I have the 2.0EB and about 3K miles running regular. On the highway running 65 on level terrain I can get right at the EPA estimate of 33 mpg. At 70 I could only get 30 mpg. At 75 it drops to 27 mpg.

I noticed a difference with fuel also. When I fueled up on Kiawah Island outside of Charleston I noticed the highway mileage jump up to 35 running 60-65 mph and seemed to be about 2 mpg higher than before. Once we refueled in GA it dropped again. I assume Kiawah already has summer blend fuel and/or 100% gas so it does make a difference.

In city driving, pedal pressure is critical. The slightest bit of pedal pressure beyond the minimum required will kill fuel economy.

In city driving, pedal pressure is critical. The slightest bit of pedal pressure beyond the minimum required will kill fuel economy.

Does the Fusion have the "instant" MPG gauge? Does it have a boost gauge? Would a ScanGauge be better?

On my MR2 I used the boost gauge to pedal back out a bit and get below 0PSI. Since I sold her (MR2) yesterday I have a chunk of money burning a HOLE in my pocket! :D

Does the Fusion have the "instant" MPG gauge? Does it have a boost gauge? Would a ScanGauge be better?

On my MR2 I used the boost gauge to pedal back out a bit and get below 0PSI. Since I sold her (MR2) yesterday I have a chunk of money burning a HOLE in my pocket! :D

It has an instant mpg bar that I use all the time.

I did some testing on a 5 hour one-way vacation trip. I have the 2.0EB and about 3K miles running regular. On the highway running 65 on level terrain I can get right at the EPA estimate of 33 mpg. At 70 I could only get 30 mpg. At 75 it drops to 27 mpg.

I noticed a difference with fuel also. When I fueled up on Kiawah Island outside of Charleston I noticed the highway mileage jump up to 35 running 60-65 mph and seemed to be about 2 mpg higher than before. Once we refueled in GA it dropped again. I assume Kiawah already has summer blend fuel and/or 100% gas so it does make a difference.

Might you elaborate on that last bit of advice, please?

When my Fusion Hybrid arrives, if it ever does, will I have to take 3 minutes to accelerate from a stop to 60? Is there any way to explain how close to normal driving you can come without "killing" economy?

Thanks.

When my Fusion Hybrid arrives, if it ever does, will I have to take 3 minutes to accelerate from a stop to 60? Is there any way to explain how close to normal driving you can come without "killing" economy?

Thanks.

He's talking about the turbo 2.0 which is a lot different than the hybrid. Of course, if you keep your hybrid in electric, it will do very well. Just drive your car how you want.

You will be better off accelerating normally up to speed rather than doing it too slowly. Once you're up to speed you just have to use the least amount of pressure to maintain speed and coast whenever possible. With the instant MPG bar you'll see what I mean. The difference between 30+ mpg and 20 mpg is very small.

Thanks.

What I do is take advantage of my weather conditions and adjust to bad weather conditions. Wind direction and speed is most important to me. Every car and truck will be effected differently with wind, so you need to monitor instant MPG to see how it effects your vehicle's MPG. I don't pass old Glory flying in the wind anywhere without checking the wind speed or direction anymore. Next, I adjust my driving techniques accordingly. I don't drive in a strong headwind at 70mph, but I might go 70mph with a strong tailwind. I might take a route with slower speed limits with fewer stops while in a strong headwind, and take the Interstate back with a good tailwind. Forget what you've heard about highway mileage is better than city driving because a good 35 - 45mph route may yield much better MPG depending on weather conditions.

I constantly monitor my average tank MPG also, because Instant MPG doesn't mean squat if your tank average is tanking so to speak. My goal is to improve the tank MPG averages constantly until I refill and reset my average MPG. In most cases, accelerating to a steady state speed with traffic is good for your tank average, just don't be trying to get ahead of everyone.

I make sure my vehicle is setup for the best mileage and safety possible. If my MPG drops, I know I may have a problem with my tires or something. I can tell even if the quality of gas has changed because my long-term fuel maps will change and start adjusting to the change in fuel quality. I don't change octane because that can also lowers your MPG. Read and try new techniques others are seeing with your model. One guy posted about a technique he started using on his '05 FEH, and I found it works on all the Ford Hybrids I've driven. A quick tap on the accelerator pedal to come out of EV raised my mileage ~5mpg tank averages. I now use it every time I come out of EV in my '09 FEH. This tap fools the computer to switch from a smooth transition from EV to engine start. We found you can save battery SoC for longer EV segments later. The longer the engine stays Off, the better the MPG will be. I use this technique to start my engine even from a stoplight. I don't try to accelerate from a start unless I'm in a parking lot and will remain in EV. Trying to start moving in EV from a stoplight will drain the battery too much and will end up less efficient than accelerating with the engine. I've been driving Ford Hybrid since 2005 and have logged over 100,000 miles in them. Enjoy your new Hybrid, but my next one will be a plug-in model.

• Like 1

I am sure it has a lot to do with the experience of the driver, the road conditions, and how how it is.

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid now, and now that the weather has gone up about 10-20 degrees from this winter, I have gained back 2mpg on my average.

Waiting for my 2013 Hybrid to be delivered now.