Daytime running lights

milleron

Doesn't work on the new models.

Well, DLRs are implemented on 2013 Fusions built for fleet sales, and they're mentioned in the FFH manual ("if equipped"). They're either implemented through firmware, OR there's extra hardware in the fleet cars. Either way, it would seem that it should be possible, even easy, to get them working on ours.

This is not a trivial point. I cannot quote his source, but a Toyota salesman on YouTube stated that cars with DLRs have an 11% lower rate of accident involvement.

Well, DLRs are implemented on 2013 Fusions built for fleet sales, and they're mentioned in the FFH manual ("if equipped"). They're either implemented through firmware, OR there's extra hardware in the fleet cars. Either way, it would seem that it should be possible, even easy, to get them working on ours.

This is not a trivial point. I cannot quote his source, but a Toyota salesman on YouTube stated that cars with DLRs have an 11% lower rate of accident involvement.

They really do - stand out more when passing them on roads, around corners in dark parking garages and make them more visible to everyone including pedestrians.

The dealers in the U.S. simply don't have the ability to turn them on. I don't know if it's the car's firmware or the dealer software but it is what it is.

It's nowhere near 11%. NHTSA researched it extensively and could find no conclusive evidence that DRLs reduced accidents significantly enough to warrant a mandate.

Well then gavel down, a toyota salesman made a statement - it's written in granite. :doh:

(and always remember Toyotas are cars for people that absolutely detest automobiles, a car is something like a canker sore for these people)

It's nowhere near 11%. NHTSA researched it extensively and could find no conclusive evidence that DRLs reduced accidents significantly enough to warrant a mandate.

Exactly, which is why we don't have them - An organization capable of performing true analysis determined it's of questionable value at best = why bother (aside from bulb makers like them due to the increased sales).

Keep us Posted on this Neod.

Just heard back from the dealer - they weren't able to turn them on :( I even asked them if there are any parts we can order and add them, but they said they're controlled by the car's main computer and they don't have the option to turn them on. Bummer!

They are a "Fleet Only" option (how ridiculous is that?) that would require a "Fleet" Smart Junction Box (unavailable without a Fleet VIN #). The only option seems to be to have someone custom wire an override for just the accent lights. Probably not worth the expense. Maybe if enough people complain they may rethink this stubborn and inexplicable position.

They really do - stand out more when passing them on roads, around corners in dark parking garages and make them more visible to everyone including pedestrians.

It's also an insurance discount in our state. Hope they fix this!