Friendly Reminder: MKZ's stay in Neutral mode (car washes)

Most of the 2013 MkZ drivers may already know this ....

but a reminder is never a bad thing ....

with the new push-button transmission on our cars, remember that you have to hit "N" twice on the gear stack when putting your car thru a car wash ....

So I took my 2 week old car in for its first car wash today ..... Black + April Pollen not a good combination :-)

and despite telling the attendant twice to do so .... he couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't move onto the belt when he got out of my car today .....

the "Stay in Neutral" mode is on when the "N" is flashing on the gear button stack .......

Then it was amusing to watch them to trying to get the car back into D when it came off the car wash rails .....

my wipers went on (at various speeds), he opened the cup holder, looked under the steering wheel but couldn't figure it out;

(Oh, by the way make sure you switch off the auto-sensing wipers, before going through a car wash as well)

he stopped the whole car wash cycle because he was afraid that the car behind me would come off the rail and hit mine.

He then had to call for a manager ....

:-)

with the new push-button transmission on our cars, remember that you have to hit "N" twice on the gear stack when putting your car thru a car wash ....

Thanks JS!!!!!

I owe you a beer, yup.

(i didn't know it...)

So I took my 2 week old car in for its first car wash today ..... Black + April Pollen not a good combination :-)

and despite telling the attendant twice to do so .... he couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't move onto the belt when he got out of my car today .....

the "Stay in Neutral" mode is on when the "N" is flashing on the gear button stack .......

Then it was amusing to watch them to trying to get the car back into D when it came off the car wash rails .....

my wipers went on (at various speeds), he opened the cup holder, looked under the steering wheel but couldn't figure it out;

(Oh, by the way make sure you switch off the auto-sensing wipers, before going through a car wash as well)

he stopped the whole car wash cycle because he was afraid that the car behind me would come off the rail and hit mine.

He then had to call for a manager ....

You know, I wish they had this VIP service at this Lincoln dealer. It's free car wash/vacuum for the life of the car. You can come in as many times as you want. It was offered at our local Lexus dealer when we went looking at the ES 300H.

You know, I wish they had this VIP service at this Lincoln dealer. It's free car wash/vacuum for the life of the car. You can come in as many times as you want. It was offered at our local Lexus dealer when we went looking at the ES 300H.

Why on earth would you let a dealership touch your car? Most do more damage than good using incorrect equipment and techniques.

Why on earth would you let a dealership touch your car? Most do more damage than good using incorrect equipment and techniques.

If I didn't let them touch the car, I wouldn't be able to drive it or get keys or be able to demo it.

But this is another dealership it's a Lexus which offer this service. Think of it as a free mini detail and so far, their dealership has been great to me and I have friends that go there. All in all, Lexus wasn't right for me so I stuck with Lincoln our first one based on pricing and standard items that would have cost more on the 300H. The wife is happy with it and that's all that matters to me. If there is any issues or problems, I hope that 4year warranty comes to good use. If they don't and we get screwed, then it's a learning process.

Edited by Serraph

Three words: Self Car Wash! ;)

Not for me ..... despite those challenges with the new car being washed for the first time .......

I've been going to this place for 15 years ..... with never one single problem of any kind ....

Never a scratch, ding, dent or anything .... and for $14 they do everything beautifully ... plus the last time I washed my wife's car by hand .....

let's just put it this way there was a "discussion" about wether it had been properly washed!

I'm sure some dealerships do it correctly but I've seen many dealerships where they have some teenager doing the carwash with a sponge creating spider swirls and all kinds of paint damage. It all comes down to whether you trust the dealer or not and I would not automatically assume the dealership is washing the vehicle the correct way and not causing damage.

Not for me ..... despite those challenges with the new car being washed for the first time .......

I've been going to this place for 15 years ..... with never one single problem of any kind ....

Never a scratch, ding, dent or anything .... and for $14 they do everything beautifully ... plus the last time I washed my wife's car by hand .....

let's just put it this way there was a "discussion" about wether it had been properly washed!

lol, let me bring my car around and you can demo me your washing skills and if it's good. I will back you up. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Get the warranty and you're set then. Since you know it's going to fail in 5years.

Any good paint job will last 5 years with no oxidation with minimal maintenance. If you use a touch type car wash it voids the warranty. For $600 you could get a wax or sealant professionally applied once a year for 5 years. Even the best sealant only lasts 6-12 months. The warranty is a scam.

Any good paint job will last 5 years with no oxidation with minimal maintenance. If you use a touch type car wash it voids the warranty. For $600 you could get a wax or sealant professionally applied once a year for 5 years. Even the best sealant only lasts 6-12 months. The warranty is a scam.

I'm too lazy to go do that every year. I just want to go in once, get the Xzilon and forget it. Let it sit in the sun, let the paint fade, tree sap, bug poo, and then go get the warranty work while I drive their loaner. Going to make them prove it. ;) It's like warranty, some people think it's great, some don't. It's just a personal choice one makes. It may not be right for you but it might be perfect for some one else but thank you for your input. Plus it was only a few bucks into the monthly and Lincoln is kind enough to give us a free month loan payment. So it was a freebie.

Edited by Serraph

I'm too lazy to go do that every year. I just want to go in once, get the Xzilon and forget it. Let it sit in the sun, let the paint fade, tree sap, bug poo, and then go get the warranty work while I drive their loaner. Going to make them prove it. ;) It's like warranty, some people think it's great, some don't. It's just a personal choice one makes. It may not be right for you but it might be perfect for some one else but thank you for your input. Plus it was only a few bucks into the monthly and Lincoln is kind enough to give us a free month loan payment. So it was a freebie.

Dealers must love you.

Dealers must love you.

They sure do, I paid $500 above invoice. Testing the waters there for our next purchase. I have to admit they did a decent job but still lack that luxury experience as compare to the others that we've been to. Still needs improvement. Overall happy with service and product so far which is all that matters. Right?

Edited by Serraph

Too lazy to get a sealant treatment once a year but okay with surrendering your car and driving a loaner while they repaint it for you? :headscratch:

Too lazy to get a sealant treatment once a year but okay with surrendering your car and driving a loaner while they repaint it for you? :headscratch:

Yes because the treatment is a one time deal. If anything happens in that 5 years then it's warranty work as oppose to going every year. Even if I drop of to get the car detail, wax, etc I don't get a loaner correct? Besides the wife wanted the treatment and I am not going to argue. As long as she's happy and we're doing ok, it's a good life.