Is Ford going to offer free maintenance?

Toyota has offered free maintenance for the past year and a half, and now Chevy is following. Meanwhile, Ford is reaching new sales records every month.

I think it's pretty obvious that Ford will not be following Toyota and Chevy.

Toyota has offered free maintenance for the past year and a half, and now Chevy is following. Meanwhile, Ford is reaching new sales records every month.

I think it's pretty obvious that Ford will not be following Toyota and Chevy.

Free maintenance is basically just another incentive - one where the cost to the manufacturer is lower than the value to the customer, and with nice side-effects such as ensuring more customers return to the same manufacturer's dealerships at regular intervals (sitting in nice new cars and hearing friendly sales pitches). I'd be surprised if everyone isn't doing it within a couple years.

I'd agree with Noah if it wasn't for my dealer experiences. I've never been to a Ford dealer with knowledgeable sales staff. The dealer I go to to have my vehicle serviced tried to give me a sales pitch by having one of their salesmen drive my car up for me. This was when my throttle position sensor was replaced out of warranty. The pitch completely failed, not only because I am not in the market for a vehicle, but also because the salesman was a tool and he didn't know his product.

First of all, he didn't know my car was a 2.5L I4 SEL. He said to me "Wow, that's a nice car, is that a Fusion Sport?" *roll eyes*

Well, gee ... must have been too laborious to look at the rear trunklid, the lack of dual exhaust, or the front fascia, if nothing else. Moreover, if you can't tell the difference between a 2.5L I4 engine sound and a 3.5L V6, you shouldn't be selling cars. Period.

From there, he went on trying to pitch me on the new '13 Fusions, which I told him I thought were nice looking but was not interested in purchasing a first year model car. Much less a new car in general since I was pretty happy with my current car, minus the TPS of course ...

But I digress. Bottom line is that I've met too many Ford dealer salesmen who know less about their product than I do ... and I don't even follow this stuff as much as I did when I was younger.

If the goal of free scheduled maintenance is to get more customer "face time," then it needs to be backed up by friendly, knowledgeable staff who understand how to make a sale without alienating or offending customers.

Edited by SVT_MAN
  • Like 3