Will Fiat Take Chrysler Away From Detroit?

mettech

"...the Detroit Three might soon become the Detroit Two, if Chrysler’s new parent Fiat acts on its interest in moving the company to the fair state of Tennessee. Reportedly, state officials are trying to romance Fiat’s CEO Sergio Marchionne into putting Fiat’s joint headquarters with Chrysler in the Volunteer State. Following meetings with Tennessee governor Bill Haslam, Marchionne said Tennessee officials have been “working me over pretty well.”

Marchionne was in the state to attend the ribbon cutting of an expansion of a Fiat subsidiary plant in Pulaski. However, when asked rhetorically where they would prefer the headquarters to be, Haslam replied: “I vote right here.”

Tennessee is a wonderful state,” said David Cole, chairman emeritus of the Center for Automotive Research, a top industry think-tank in Ann Arbor, Mich. “It’s more centrally located than Detroit, it has a great tax structure, and it’s a nice place to do business.” However, Cole — the son of former GM president Ed Cole — stands by Michigan and its role as the automotive hub in the U.S.

It will likely come down to a “bidding” style war between the two states. By playing one off the other, Marchionne will be able to secure the best deal for the company. Given the mass exodus of automakers from Detroit, the state will likely be willing to bargain for Chrysler’s sustained citizenship..."

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/will-fiat-take-chrysler-away-from-detroit.html/

I have seen that Sergio is not happy about being in Detroit. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

To people who don't follow the auto industry, it probably LOOKS like a mass exodus from Michigan, because they hear about new transplant factories being built in Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Texas, etc.

They don't consider that these brand-new plants aren't replacing old ones, and that GM, Ford and Chrysler still have plenty of facilities located in Michigan and other states of the industrial Midwest. Even Honda has factories in Ohio and Indiana.

Funny thing about these moves...companies move to these cheaper States like Tennessee and their employees follow...and are often very disappointed when they get there.

Its much like the BRAC in the military....Fort Monmouth in NJ was closed and moved to Aberdeen Proving Ground about 2 hours away in Maryland. The unfortunate thing about the move is area wasn't equipped to handle the influx of traffic and compounded the problem, the expected opening of jobs with this move never materialised because everyone working at Fort Monmouth is now commuting to MD to work their 5 days a week since they couldn't sell their houses or didn't want to because of family issues or not finding alternative employment in NJ due to Recession etc... Then on top of that your looking to fill highly skilled positions in an area that isn't that well educated vs New Jersey and the people who do have the education in MD are in the southern/western part of the state near D.C. and more or less out of commuting distance of APG!

Oh well I'm biding my time and taking advantage of the situation while I can :)

Funny thing about these moves...companies move to these cheaper States like Tennessee and their employees follow...and are often very disappointed when they get there.

The idea of "moving to Tennessee" is simply a matter of where the corporation is headquartered. It's not like Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.

Like so many other states, it depends on where in Tennessee you are. The western, central, and northeastern portions of Tennessee are fairly heavily industrialized with skilled workers aplenty. Can't speak for specifics like the education system since I don't live there, although as with everything else, I'd bet it is a reflection of the local population. Tennessee has no income tax. It's a nice state (based on what I've seen in my travels), and the people are friendly.

If they really do move the company from Michigan, it's for business reasons. Nothing more.

Edited by RangerM
  • Like 1

It's a nice state (based on what I've seen in my travels), and the people are friendly.

+1 to the comment about Tennessee being a nice state with friendly citizens. It is a genuinely fine place to visit, live, and/or site a business facility.

If someone is truly disappointed after relocating to Tennessee, I doubt that any factor that's specific to the Volunteer State is to blame. Well, unless he or she is a University of Florida Gators fan forced to decamp in Knoxville (GO VOLS!!). ;)

Anyway, the question presented to Governor Haslam was a rhetorical one, and any answer other than his home state wouldn't make any sense.

Edited by aneekr