Expy Review

Good review! You know if you are going to spend that much money for a vehicle and have to put that much fuel into it...and it's gonna be that big...it sure is nice to have a 3rd row seat that is comfortable for adults!

It is also priced less then the Tahoe and it looks good. The only thing that people (at least on here) are going to cry about is that it doesn't look different enough from last years model. I say...who cares? It looks handsome and in the end all full sized SUV's look about the same...a box with a beak on the front and 4 wheels underneath.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I just posted tis on GMI .... I want to see their reactions ... they were very up in aerms about how the Expy is dated and sucks compared to the Tahoe..

However I cannot see the Navi winning comparos to the Scallade, unless they did some magic with the transmisison.

Igor

Only if it didn't look like it launched in 2002 then maybe it would actually battle the tahoe in sales.

Uh. right. That would be if the Tahoe and Expy were battling for customers new to the segment, right?

Because we all know the fullsize SUV segment is growing by leaps and bounds.

That's why GM recently put the Tahoe/Yukon plant on overtime, right?

Uh. right. That would be if the Tahoe and Expy were battling for customers new to the segment, right?

Because we all know the fullsize SUV segment is growing by leaps and bounds.

That's why GM recently put the Tahoe/Yukon plant on overtime, right?

The market is still large enough to be competitive, People in this market will be going between Chevy and Ford and when you pull up to a ford dealership you'll see something that looked like it came out 4 years ago.

The market is still large enough to be competitive, People in this market will be going between Chevy and Ford and when you pull up to a ford dealership you'll see something that looked like it came out 4 years ago.

Last year, when you pulled up to a Chevy dealership you saw something that looked like it came out 8 years ago. And Chevy still handily outsold Ford.

Looks like Ford did VERY well at this redesign, the only thing that will hurt it is fuel prices. Looks like a better vehicle then the Tahoe or Suburban 1500 at least for people who want a real 3rd row seat and lots of cargo room. I also would be suprised to see how the EL model rides and handles compared to the Suburban. The Suburban even the new model has always been criticized for being a marshmallow machine with poor handling. It sounds like they really liked the ride and handling of the EL even though it is a huge beast.

I think the new Expedition is very competitive. It looks modern, as modern as the Tahoe/Suburban and offers a lot of things they don't. The rear suspension, limited rear seat room and rear seats that don't fold flat on the GM models is the first thing that comes to mind. Now which of these is really old fashioned? New sheetmetal doesn't always hide an outdated chassis underneath!

Edited by 2005Explorer

The TCC review wmentioned how ford went by in the redesign - they directly zoomed in on the CORE customers - those that haul, tow, and carry people in the 3rd row ... they basically took this as a truck with no bed - did not try to make this appealing to those that do not need an SUV, or who want it as a fashion statement. They simply deigned it for those that need the SUV, and all tey care about is the capabilities and maybe interior.

GM on the other hand designed for a much broader audience. Their trucks and SUV's are attractive to people who do not need or do nto ow nan SUV .. however this borader focus also brought bout a weaker truck, that is not ascapable as the Expedition.

We will see which market approach was more on target and which truck will sell better.

Igor

One thing that is also overlooked is that this is the first time that Ford really has what I would call a "Suburban fighter" The Excursion was only a competitor to the much larger Suburban 2500 HD. The highest percentage of Suburbans sold are the light duty 1500 models that are powered with a 5300 V8. The Expedition EL is aimed directly at that much larger market and I think you will find a lot more people cross shopping Expeditions and Suburbans then ever before. The market is drying up, but there is still room for 2 models to compete directly with each other.

The other thing that will help Ford when it comes to sales figures is that both the standard length and extended length will be reported as one model. This does not have a lot of impact other then making the Expy look stronger in sales against the Tahoe.