Consumer Reports: 2014 Kia Sorento & Midsized SUV`s Review

phil1336

In the Aug. 2013 Consumer Reports, they review a group of "fresh" Models. Surprisingly, they rated the new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee the highest with a Road-Test Score of 77. Second, the new 2014 Kia Sorento followed with a Road-Test Score of 76, just a point behind. Following behind was the Chevrolet Equinox and Buick Encore with Road-Test Scores of 66 and 64 respectively. Dead last from an earlier review was the Ford Edge with a Road-Test Score of 63. My point is simple, Consumer Reports even when they shower praise and give very high scores (certain) Makes and Models seem always to find a way of being downgraded, negating all the positives with a "but"! Example, the 2014 Kia Sorento, slick power (but) rough ride, which by the way, "has improved" (but) remains stiff. Handling is "very" secure (but) not very agile? New electric steering system "is" responsive (but) has scant feedback? Loved the interior Cabin with its panoramic sunroof, wood and leather details (but) too much hard plastic. Basically they absolutely were smitten with everything, gauges,dash layout, knobs, functionality except Headlamp High Beams were adequate (but) aren`t as good as others. CR seems to be a lot quicker to take out the Jewelers 10X Eye Loop with certain Manufacturers then others, Ford certainly included. That said, curiously, they did rank the Ford Escape "Titanium" # 1 in the Luxury Compact Suv`s category with a Road-Test Score of 79 over 3 other Makes. Their search for the "Perfect" Vehicle will last for an eternity but its safe to assume that some Makes and Models will always fall a bit short in the final analysis.

What's "fresh" about the Ford Edge? It hasn't been updated since 2011. Of course though, it has MFT, so it's bound to not fair well in CR's eyes anyway. That said, I still have no idea how they could in good conscience rate the Equinox higher in anything. :hysterical:

Don't see any surprise in the GC winning though. It's a superbly designed vehicle.

Toyota Venza

FTFY

As for the cars.com review, I'm curious how they got the price on the Edge up over $37K without AWD, push button start, or a power liftgate? :headscratch: I couldn't figure out a way to configure one that did it on the Ford site. Got one up in the mid-36's with some pretty oddball option combinations, but that was it. Even before X-plan, my Sport with every single option barely ticked in over $40K (granted, that was over two years ago, but still).

never got the GC getting compared to the Edge...if anything it should be lined up against the Explorer!

I do have to say that the GC has to be the most appealing non-F/L product to me on the market that I would consider getting.

Yeah, it's a weird thing to compare to sometimes. It has the similar appeal of the Explorer and is the bread and butter of Jeep in terms of sales, but only seats 5 and is RWD by default. If going by seating, it makes sense to compare it to the Edge, but I can see where comparing it against the Explorer would make sense as well (though one could argue that's for the Durango to do since it's a 7 seater). The Edge and the GC are both 76" wide as well...the Explorer has a couple inches on both of them.

What's "fresh" about the Ford Edge? It hasn't been updated since 2011. Of course though, it has MFT, so it's bound to not fair well in CR's eyes anyway. That said, I still have no idea how they could in good conscience rate the Equinox higher in anything. :hysterical:

Don't see any surprise in the GC winning though. It's a superbly designed vehicle.

I was thinking the same thing. Furthermore, what is remotely fresh about the Equinox? When was it last updated?

The (available diesel) '14 JGC, seating 5, with up to 30 MPG seems like it is destined to always be a tweener in comparo's between the CRV/Escapes/Sorento and larger Explorer types. Really, it looks like a great vehicle now with the various powertrains and 8 speed ZF.

The (available diesel) '14 JGC, seating 5, with up to 30 MPG seems like it is destined to always be a tweener in comparo's between the CRV/Escapes/Sorento and larger Explorer types. Really, it looks like a great vehicle now with the various powertrains and 8 speed ZF.

The Edge kind of fits into the same size/configuration category as a "tweener" too, although with a different personality than the GC. We had an old GC and loved it at the time. I love my Edge as well. For me at least, I think they're both perfectly "right-sized".