A versatile family tourer with more than 5 seats

joihan777

I wish Ford would offer an AWD Taurus wagon with a front bench seat. Having 6 seats in a car that's fun to drive and use less gas than a similarly capable SUV would be swell.

Even the Explorer or Flex would do well with a front bench seat.

Without this, customers will consider a F-150 (if a truck might work) or a Chevrolet Tahoe (if a tidy SUV is preferred).

Front bench seats are sooooo last century!

The Flex has 6 seats, and is actually pretty fun to drive, and gets good fuel economy. It's a great family touring car.

Agreed, it's pretty nice. If it had a front bench seat, it'd be on the top of my short list.

Our minivan is over 100k miles, and we're researching next car. Sadly, current pick is Chevy Tahoe. (Will be Eibach lowered of course)

Agreed, it's pretty nice. If it had a front bench seat, it'd be on the top of my short list.

Our minivan is over 100k miles, and we're researching next car. Sadly, current pick is Chevy Tahoe. (Will be Eibach lowered of course)

That's the only kind of person that would be able to sit in the middle of a front bench seat in a Flex. Well, that and VERY skinny! :)

If you want a front bench seat and someone offers one, then more power to you. But, speaking from experience, the center seat is supposed to be used as much as the 3rd row in a Rav4, which means very little and by a little person (like my 6 year old).

With that said, before you buy the the Tahoe, test drive a Flex w/Ecoboost. Plus it would look better next to your Stang vert. ;)

• Like 1

If you want a front bench seat and someone offers one, then more power to you. But, speaking from experience, the center seat is supposed to be used as much as the 3rd row in a Rav4, which means very little and by a little person (like my 6 year old).

With that said, before you buy the the Tahoe, test drive a Flex w/Ecoboost. Plus it would look better next to your Stang vert. ;)

Thanks, yes, we plan on putting the 8 yr old in the center, but only when extended family come with us. Otherwise, it's a nice place to stretch out out, or sit close to my spouse. My old Buick had one, and it's a feature I really miss.

The AWD Flex Limited costs about the same as the 4WD Tahoe LS, but with more bells & whistles. The Tahoe, however, can tow much more. It's also wider and more comfortable no matter how you slice it. =(

I don't understand why even the Expedition doesn't com with a front bench. Ughh Ford....

• Like 1

Kids are allowed to sit in the front seats in USA?

Yes, provided the other/back seats are filled. If they're 8 or older they don't need a booster seat either, as by then they are generally >4'9".

And I don't know why anyone wouldn't want a bench seat in a family car. They are more comfortable than buckets and the center drops into armrests.

And I don't know why anyone wouldn't want a bench seat in a family car. They are more comfortable than buckets and the center drops into armrests.

There is no way bench seats are more comfortable than good buckets. I've driven both.

There is no way bench seats are more comfortable than good buckets. I've driven both.

Thanks for your opinion, but I've owned both for more than 3 yrs.... the bench seat in my Buick was *DIVINE*

You can never spread your legs as well in buckets... it's just geometry.

Edited by joihan777

Thanks for your opinion, but I've owned both for more than 3 yrs.... the bench seat in my Buick was *DIVINE*

You can never spread your legs as well in buckets... it's just geometry.

If you want to drive sitting on a sofa - sure.

If you want to drive sitting on a sofa - sure.

I LIKED it! LOL

Different strokes... that's why I'd like it as an option, for those of us who'd appreciate it. After reading Ford's 'Social' site there are quite a few folks who've suggested this idea as well.

Besides, we don't really NEED the gear selector in the 6th spot, I always imagined the future of the gear selector to end up on the dash as a robust rotary click selector anyway, not as a phony manual. I just hope that day comes sooner rather than later. I really don't want a Tahoe, but I really want a bench seat!

Edited by joihan777

I LIKED it! LOL

Different strokes... that's why I'd like it as an option, for those of us who'd appreciate it. After reading Ford's 'Social' site there are quite a few folks who've suggested this idea as well.

Besides, we don't really NEED the gear selector in the 6th spot, I always imagined the future of the gear selector to end up on the dash as a robust rotary click selector anyway, not as a phony manual. I just hope that day comes sooner rather than later. I really don't want a Tahoe, but I really want a bench seat!

My point was very very few people prefer a bench seat with no bolsters which is why they don't make them any more. It costs too much to do a bench seat option for a few buyers because it involves changing the console and shifter. Just not cost effective.

My point was very very few people prefer a bench seat with no bolsters which is why they don't make them any more. It costs too much to do a bench seat option for a few buyers because it involves changing the console and shifter. Just not cost effective.

When the Expedition merges back with the F150, maybe the bench seat will make a comeback.

When the Expedition merges back with the F150, maybe the bench seat will make a comeback.

That'd be great! We plan on keeping the Sienna for at least a year.. maybe by then we'll have info on next gen F150/Expedition.

Definitely rather keep it all in Ford family!

A front bench was a requirement for me when I bought my last truck. I have 6 in my family so I need the extra seat in the front. Bench seats are not what they used to be. The driver and passenger still have seats that you sit "in" and the middle seat is raised up somewhat. It isn't the 1950s anymore.

I would also add that most 3 row SUV/CUVs have very little storage in the behind the third row. And when you are actually traveling with 6 people, you run out of space back there fast.

I have since sold my truck and we use my wife's minivan for whole family transport. However, I have wished for a car with a front bench seat for short trips as minivans are not a whole lot more efficient than a pickup.

• Like 1

And when you are actually traveling with 6 people, you run out of space back there fast.

Hence the invention of things like roof racks and trailer hitch racks. I grew up in a family of six as well. It was not really a common event that all six of us would be in a vehicle at the same time except when we were all really young.

Hence the invention of things like roof racks and trailer hitch racks. I grew up in a family of six as well. It was not really a common event that all six of us would be in a vehicle at the same time except when we were all really young.

And we didn't need car seats and seat belts when we were kids. I remember riding to Colorado from Missouri in the "back back" of our '79 Bronco. I was 7 at the time, and it made for some great sleeping!

But we had a pop-up camper to keep all of our stuff in.

My daughter is driving an Expedition EL to haul the family (Mom, Dad, 2 - 4 year olds and 2 - 6 month olds). They shared a rental house on a lake with us last week and we had to haul a lot of the bigger items (water toys, lawn toys, case of diapers and wipes, etc). Going home, the rear was packed to the ceiling and one of the 2 empty seats was full of "stuff".

Next year they will need the roof top carrier !

My daughter is driving an Expedition EL to haul the family (Mom, Dad, 2 - 4 year olds and 2 - 6 month olds). They shared a rental house on a lake with us last week and we had to haul a lot of the bigger items (water toys, lawn toys, case of diapers and wipes, etc). Going home, the rear was packed to the ceiling and one of the 2 empty seats was full of "stuff".

Next year they will need the roof top carrier !

2 sets of twins? Wow!! :)