Sticky Door Handles... the sequel

digijay

I know lots of us had sticky door handles. I brought it in and they supposedly lubricated them all. This was 5 months ago. Now I contantly have grease running down from the handles. It seems as thought its actually starting to ruin the paint finish.

Every time it rains, i get this run off. They are telling me it's the gasket and that all Escapes have the same problem.

So frustrated.

Such a shame that the Ford dealers do such a disservice to the Ford name. The TSB for this has nothing to do with grease.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yiqqdmfmpux69ku/tsb12-12-12-door%20handle.pdf

Yes, it is SUCH a shame that Ford's policy of paying less and less for labor is biting them in the ass. Like the very TSB of which you speak, which pays 0.2 hour for one door, 0.3 hour for 2 doors, 0.4 hour for three and 0.6 for four. Their math doesn't work. For trying to do all four and do them right, the tech is 'rewarded' with a 25% cut in wages, if he does all four doors. The other issue is that each time a TSB is put out to 'help' techs fix Ford's screw-ups, they cut the labor time for that repair. Experienced techs are unwilling to work under a system that literally robs them of their wages. The green tech is quickly taught that Ford doesn't want quality repairs, they want cheap.

Edited by YT90SC

Yes, it is SUCH a shame that Ford's policy of paying less and less for labor is biting them in the ass. Like the very TSB of which you speak, which pays 0.2 hour for one door, 0.3 hour for 2 doors, 0.4 hour for three and 0.6 for four. Their math doesn't work. For trying to do all four and do them right, the tech is 'rewarded' with a 25% cut in wages, if he does all four doors. The other issue is that each time a TSB is put out to 'help' techs fix Ford's screw-ups, they cut the labor time for that repair. Experienced techs are unwilling to work under a system that literally robs them of their wages. The green tech is quickly taught that Ford doesn't want quality repairs, they want cheap.
I thought we were talking about grease and how it is not part of the fix and the shop that did the work are a bunch of monkeys. But OK, I have worked in a shop environment most of my life, being a production manager for a good bit. I don't need a lecture from you about how Ford doesn't allot enough time to perform warranty work on their product. Not my problem. And the mechanics and the dealership are not losing money. Don't be a fool. Is the dealership supposed to MAKE. money on warranty work???

I performed the TSB myself on my own vehicle. Piece of cake.

Edited by Escapism

I would have to believe that the tech is still paid his or her full hourly wage or salary, it's the dealership/service department that loses money if the repair goes over the time allotted.

Most techs are paid on the flat rate system, not an hourly wage or salary. That means they are paid for the work that they turn. When they go over the time allotted, they lose money.

Escapism-wasnt trying to start a feud-I have been a Ford tech for 20 years. I do not bash others' work EVER because I know that things can go wrong and people can make honest mistakes. The new Global Format OASIS makes it hard to get the TSB's that you need at times. Instead of this TSB being listed in "BODY" like it has been forever, it is now listed in "Safe and Secure". What I have seen is that a tech has a choice. Rush to make hours and make mistakes or diligently do the work, reguardless of time. I am the latter and have watched my paychecks shrink a little more each year due to Ford's policies. But what choice do I have? I am one of the dumb ones who cares about quality of repair. Because of my experience, I get all the harder diagnostics, not the gravy train and 95% of my work load is warranty. I know the average consumer doesn't care, but it is those policies that are chief in the reason that the OP didnt get a proper repair. And I am not asking for making money on warranty, just to break even once in a while.

Edited by YT90SC

Most techs are paid on the flat rate system, not an hourly wage or salary. That means they are paid for the work that they turn. When they go over the time allotted, they lose money.

Escapism-wasnt trying to start a feud-I have been a Ford tech for 20 years. I do not bash others' work EVER because I know that things can go wrong and people can make honest mistakes. The new Global Format OASIS makes it hard to get the TSB's that you need at times. Instead of this TSB being listed in "BODY" like it has been forever, it is now listed in "Safe and Secure". What I have seen is that a tech has a choice. Rush to make hours and make mistakes or diligently do the work, reguardless of time. I am the latter and have watched my paychecks shrink a little more each year due to Ford's policies. But what choice do I have? I am one of the dumb ones who cares about quality of repair. Because of my experience, I get all the harder diagnostics, not the gravy train and 95% of my work load is warranty. I know the average consumer doesn't care, but it is those policies that are chief in the reason that the OP didnt get a proper repair. And I am not asking for making money on warranty, just to break even once in a while.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. The system that is set up does not sound like its good for Ford or the dealer or the tech. Ford should not set a time limit because repair work often time requires trial and error or trouble shooting. And it would be nice to do it right the first time so not to overload you folks with repeat visits for the same problem.

I try to do as much work myself as I can, I'm pretty savvy with my hands and tools. But that only goes so far without the specialized equipment. I would gladly pay a Ford tech under the table to do the work "right" as side work.

Edited by Escapism

YT90SC, the pay structure surprises me and is too bad. Basically that make all techs independant contractors and the "bid" Ford puts on a repair is out of your control. I bet if techs had more of a say over how much time and what it will cost it would be more fair to you. An example I can think of is the cabin filter replacement. I believe I saw the shop time as 1 hour for that job, knowing what I know about it, it seems it will take much more than that. I painted houses for several years and if I under bid a job, or discovered unknown problems, either I had to try to get the customer to cover the cost or eat it myself. What's the incentive to retain quality techs, A-Plan?

yes I had the same problem. I bought the car in February, took it back 2 days after I bought it when i noticed it was sticking and they said it just needed to be "greased" so they did and it worked. then in march and april, Jackson Mississippi's wet months, I noticed the grease marks running down the door. addressed it the last time I took it in and they didn't have an answer and just acted like it was not there problem.

• 1 month later...

I've had the Escape in 3 times for this issue and still no solution. I'm tempted to ask for lifetime car washes or something like that.

Washing the vehicle involves the initial wash, then wiping the doors down 2-3 times over the next few days... even that poses a challenge because it doesn't wipe off like dirt, it just spreads. Can't keep the damn thing clean.