Fusion 2013 Cabin Air Filter

Darthsnipe

Hello,

So I have had my 2013 Fusion SE since March 16, 2013 and have already placed just over 11,000 miles. It has already been through its first oil change via the dealer and now I am starting to look into the "do-it-yourself" maintenance (filters replacement, wipers, headlights, etc).

I am starting to experience a smell coming from my vents whenever the fan or the AC run and I know that it's probably moisture/mildew buildup but I wanted to change the cabin air filter myself to see if this makes life living in the car a little bit better. I have been looking high and low for instructions on how to replace the cabin air filter yet alone the location of it. The owners manual, unfortunately, is no help. Has anyone tried replacing the cabin air filter yet? I am also looking for detailed instructions or a video on how to replace it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, on a side note, I keep seeing from these forums, as well as others, that the AC compressor never turns off when using the panel buttons to turn off the AC option. Is this true? If so, is there a workaround for this to turn off the AC compressor? I am very concerned about the AC compressor running all the time and want to shut it off when I don't need it. I now have the recent Gen2 v3.6 MFT update installed in my car (if saying that makes any difference).

On another side note, my friends are shocked at how much mileage I put on the car already. Is putting just over 11,000 miles in 5 months really that shocking? lol.

To turn off compressor follow this:

1) Go to MFT screen

2) Touch AC (so the light goes off)

3) Pick a vent option so the outer surround on the vent that says Auto turns off (subsequently the Auto lights should also go off)

I would do it on a sweltering day you you know how it works and can repeat it on the days you would really use that option (read: cool).

Its the one thing on this car that bugs the ever living crap out of me.

Edited by Bearcats98

I have the bad a/c smell problem also. Dealer says he can't duplicate the problem so I am just waiting for Ford to Release a Tsb for a fix. I think the cabin air filter is behind the glove box but am not sure.

Smell comes out when its really hot for me. I'm assuming its the plastic. Technician wont be able to recreate it unless he turns on the AC, let it sit in the sun for a while then turn it on again.

To turn off compressor follow this:

1) Go to MFT screen

2) Touch AC (so the light goes off)

3) Pick a vent option so the outer surround on the vent that says Auto turns off (subsequently the Auto lights should also go off)

I would do it on a sweltering day you you know how it works and can repeat it on the days you would really use that option (read: cool).

Its the one thing on this car that bugs the ever living crap out of me.

That definitely worked. I agree, it is definitely annoying and even though I place the climate control on "Auto", I don't need it to be "Auto - A/C on all the time" you know. It's particularly annoying in the colder months when you have the AC compressor running but all that is used is the heater.

I have the bad a/c smell problem also. Dealer says he can't duplicate the problem so I am just waiting for Ford to Release a Tsb for a fix. I think the cabin air filter is behind the glove box but am not sure.

I think the bad smell problems is more attributed to the Cabin Air Filter because I have driven soo many places and, as said above, placed over 11,000 miles in 6 months. I just want to find out where the Cabin Air Filter lives and see how dirty it may be. Who knows, it might just be the filter or it could be moisture building up somewhere in the vents.

But still, it doesn't answer my question because I knew the cabin air filter was behind the glove box but I don't know where exactly and how to access it. I tried looking up and down for some hint of it and tried looking around for an access point around the glove box area but all I saw are airbag markings and I don't want to start tearing things apart.

Smell comes out when its really hot for me. I'm assuming its the plastic. Technician wont be able to recreate it unless he turns on the AC, let it sit in the sun for a while then turn it on again.

My Fusion is not garage kept so it sits in the sun all the time and I still had the smell. However, I actually tried something similar and got the smell out for the most part. I placed the heater on HI (A/C compressor off) and drove around with it running like that for about 15-20 minutes (not the best thing to do when it's still over 70 degrees outside lol). Then I tried the A/C and fans the next day and for the most part, the bad smell is gone :)

The A/C dehumidifies the air in the winter as long as the temp is above 40 degrees or so. It turns it off automatically below that. It's called auto climate control for a reason - set it and forget it.

Thank you for the information. I was reading the owners manual and I didn't see this in there (unless I missed it). I guess it's just one of those things.

Lol I've never once used auto climate control

This is the first time I've ever used Automatic Climate Control because the other cars I have driven prior all had traditional knobs and manual settings (starting to kind of miss that).

My original question still hasn't been answered :(. Anyone have a page of a service manual, a video or a step by step that shows how to get to the exact location of the Cabin Air Filter and how to replace it in the 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T? I genuinely need help. I will not bring it to the dealer since they take 3 hours on simple services and charge an arm and a leg on the labor.

LOL why not?

I prefer to know what systems are running and the fan speed. I'm not too picky, so I will occasionally adjust the temp or fan speed via the wheel. I leave the instrument cluster to the right of the speedo on climate settings.

To OP, I've searched every fusion forum and YouTube and have yet to see anything confirmed yet for the cabin filter.

I prefer to know what systems are running and the fan speed. I'm not too picky, so I will occasionally adjust the temp or fan speed via the wheel. I leave the instrument cluster to the right of the speedo on climate settings.

To OP, I've searched every fusion forum and YouTube and have yet to see anything confirmed yet for the cabin filter.

But have you tried it in auto mode? It works just like the thermostat you have at home. I leave mine on 73 in the summer usually, but when I first get in I may turn it up to 75 for a few minutes. If the A/C is needed it blows out of the dash vents and fan speed will automatically adjust as necessary. If it's super hot I hit the Max A/C button then go back to Auto when it's cooler. If you need heat it gives you that via the floor vents and it won't start the fans until the engine is warm enough to provide warm air so you don't get cold air at first.

• Like 1

It's making me sad that I cannot find instructions on how to change the Cabin Air Filter in the 2013 Ford Fusion. I too have also searched high and low for instructions. I did a daring thing and asked a dealer and of course, that didn't work too well; they wanted me to bring my car in. Bah!

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to figure this out. Went googling, youtubing and searching other forums to no avail. Is there a service manual I can get for this vehicle for a decent price so I can figure out how to get the cabin air filter and other maintenance/repair tasks out of the way? Hopefully I don't need to repair the car but eventually, I would need to know where every part is.

I tried a search also and only found it for 2012 and earlier. Hopefully it should be in the same place just different mechanism to release in the glove compartment. Have you tried to take it apart yet?

I have inspected the glovebox area for entry points or screws but majority of the areas that have screws have an airbag indicator/etching on it and I'm afraid that I may disassemble the airbag. Unfortunately, it's not like the older models where you just open the glovebox, detach the dampener cord and bam, it's there. It appears you may need to take the entire assembly out or find a screw somewhere. I feel like I am missing something.

Take the finish panel off the side of the dash. Then remove the air vent finish panel above the glovebox to allow access to the two screws that hold the golvebox top in, and remove the two screws under the glovebox. Remove glovebox assembly. Behind there is a small panel that clips on the driver's side. Pull it off and behind it is the air filter.

Take the finish panel off the side of the dash. Then remove the air vent finish panel above the glovebox to allow access to the two screws that hold the golvebox top in, and remove the two screws under the glovebox. Remove glovebox assembly. Behind there is a small panel that clips on the driver's side. Pull it off and behind it is the air filter.

OMG, have you actually done this? Are there any step-by-step pictures that I can take a look at? I am confused when you say the finish panel on the side of dash (are you talking about the plastic piece that says airbag on it) and air vent finish panel. How would I take off these panels? Do I pull them off or do I have to use a tool to get them off? You are a life saver for finally making a dent in this ever-so-burning question of mine.

• Like 1

I would like to update this thread for all of you. Thanks to @YT90SC, I was able to finally find the location of the Cabin Air Filter. It was a bit of a headache but at the end of the day, it was fairly simple. For those of you who are scared or are faint-hearted at pulling plastic panels off and possibly breaking clips, the process of getting to the cabin air filter may rack your nerves a bit.

Everything that YT90SC stated was correct and here is the listed way of getting to/replacing the Cabin Air Filter:

1) Open the Glove Box

2) Carefully pry/pull the passenger-side finish panel (The one that says airbag with a picture on it). There are approximately 4-5 clips holding it down.

3) Carefully pry/pull the air-vent/trim panel out (The one that actually has the fake wood/silver plastic trim with the vent). There are 4 clips lined down the middle of the trim that hold it down.

4) Take the TWO bottom screws out that hold the bottom of the glovebox in place. A socket wrench/screwdriver will do (I forgot the size I used to take it out, I will probably update this later). Be careful not to remove the ones that hold the airbag in (You will know which is the airbag panel, it says airbag and has about 4 screws holding it in).

5) Take the two top screws that hold the top of the glovebox in place (Those screws were revealed when you removed the vent/trim panel)

6) Pull the glove box carefully. There are multiple plastic clips that hold the glovebox in place. Be careful when doing this because when you pull out the glove box, there is an electrical connector that has little slack for the glovebox lamp on the right side; you must disconnect this before removing the glovebox completely.

7) There is a panel directly in front of you that may be held with two phillips head screws. Unscrew the screws.

8) Pull on the tabs on the top of the panel and the panel should swing open revealing the cabin air filter. Removed the cabin air filter, noting the way it was oriented, and place the new cabin air filter in the same exact orientation as the old one (Air flow is only one way).

9) Do the reverse to put everything back together and viola! You have now successfully replaced your cabin air filter in your 2013 Ford Fusion.

Please excuse my grammar. I was so excited in typing this all up once I finally got this done. :happy feet:

Edited by Darthsnipe
  • Like 2

For me, (I drive in mixed conditions, 20% city 80% highway, rarely dirt road) I pulled out my filter and it had multiple small leaf debris on/in it and the color was already dark gray. I tapped the filter and dust flew out. I'm at 12000 miles. I think it's on track with the owners manual's 20000 mile change. But I plan to change mine at 15000 miles just to be on the safe side. It really depends on the driving conditions you are in. Owners manual says 20000 under normal conditions. It's 30000 for the engine air filter in the engine bay.

• Like 1

I would like to update this thread for all of you. Thanks to @YT90SC, I was able to finally find the location of the Cabin Air Filter. It was a bit of a headache but at the end of the day, it was fairly simple. For those of you who are scared or are faint-hearted at pulling plastic panels off and possibly breaking clips, the process of getting to the cabin air filter may rack your nerves a bit.

Everything that YT90SC stated was correct and here is the listed way of getting to/replacing the Cabin Air Filter:

1) Open the Glove Box

2) Carefully pry/pull the passenger-side finish panel (The one that says airbag with a picture on it). There are approximately 4-5 clips holding it down.

3) Carefully pry/pull the air-vent/trim panel out (The one that actually has the fake wood/silver plastic trim with the vent). There are 4 clips lined down the middle of the trim that hold it down.

4) Take the TWO bottom screws out that hold the bottom of the glovebox in place. A socket wrench/screwdriver will do (I forgot the size I used to take it out, I will probably update this later). Be careful not to remove the ones that hold the airbag in (You will know which is the airbag panel, it says airbag and has about 4 screws holding it in).

5) Take the two top screws that hold the top of the glovebox in place (Those screws were revealed when you removed the vent/trim panel)

6) Pull the glove box carefully. There are multiple plastic clips that hold the glovebox in place. Be careful when doing this because when you pull out the glove box, there is an electrical connector that has little slack for the glovebox lamp on the right side; you must disconnect this before removing the glovebox completely.

7) There is a panel directly in front of you that may be held with two phillips head screws. Unscrew the screws.

8) Pull on the tabs on the top of the panel and the panel should swing open revealing the cabin air filter. Removed the cabin air filter, noting the way it was oriented, and place the new cabin air filter in the same exact orientation as the old one (Air flow is only one way).

9) Do the reverse to put everything back together and viola! You have now successfully replaced your cabin air filter in your 2013 Ford Fusion.

Please excuse my grammar. I was so excited in typing this all up once I finally got this done. :happy feet:

OK....where is the YouTube video on this? :read: