Project ST - History Lessons: #22 - Mustang SVO

As some of you know, I'm working with fifteen52, Ken Block, and Ford on their Project ST campaign. The project is all about pumping up the new Focus ST in North America, but we're also out to elevate and educate people on some of the serious small performance cars Ford has been offering overseas and some lesser known domestic ones for years and linking that pedigree back to the new 2013 Ford Focus ST. And that's where I come in.

1984-SVO-Mustang-CN38002-34.jpg

Like this needs any introduction. It's the Mustang SVO!

• Like 3

I remember the first time I saw pics of the SVO: Car and Driver, and I wanna say it was the October 1983 issue which also had the new model breakdown. I wasn't quite driving yet, but I'd been following the Ford resurgence with the T-Bird and I thought the 1983 restyling of the Mustang was gorgeous. When I see Mustang GTs from that era that are well cared for, I still find 'em to be attractive.

The SVO, though...asymmetrical scoop, biplane spoiler, Koni shocks, 4 wheel discs, intercooled turbo...the spec sheet was unbelievable at the time.

I'd still love to have one of the later cars, with the extra power and the flush headlamps. A buddy of mine that had an '85 said it wasn't that great of a daily car, but a fantastic car to drive angry.

I'm a fan of the original SVO Mustang. What wasn't to love about the car? It read like a who's who of aftermarket parts. I remember talking my way into a solo test drive of an '86 model at 21 years old. I was driving it like I stole it when I suddenly heard the faint sound of a siren, Crap! Busted! Or so I thought.....I looked around....waited....nothing. Weird, huh? Thought for sure I got stopped. Anyway, hammered down and drove bit more when I heard the same thing. Turns out the wastegate made such a loud whistling sound that it sounded like a distant siren to me. It was a really fun car that this broke college kid could only dream about. I'll never forget the test drive, though!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I remember that I couldn't understand why Ford would have two high-performance Mustangs only 5 hp apart...but I would figure out that the Konis, the rear discs, the 16" rims, and what-not came on the SVO for more money, whereas you could get an LX 5.0 for 14 grand decently equipped.

I actually have some hopes for the rumored Ecoboost 2.3 Mustang being a bargain performance sleeper.

An indication of the character of this board.

There are over 20 replies to the EXP thread, and this is the 9th reply to the SVO thread.

Several of us owned EXPs. I remember coming up against a couple of SVOs back in the mid-'80s with my Daytona in the local Stoplight Grand Prix. The SVO had more power but many drivers had trouble getting the car to launch without lots of wheel spin.The Dodge held its own most of the time.

Yeah...I think the SVO is a something of a given, a recent classic most Ford guys are expected to appreciate. The EXP is much less universally hailed, so there's more unspoken territory to cover...or something.

Liked 'em both, myself.

An indication of the character of this board.

There are over 20 replies to the EXP thread, and this is the 9th reply to the SVO thread.