2014 1/2 Mustang 50th Anniversary Edition

ice-capades

This afternoon I was part of a 3 hour meeting with Ford regional managers including one senior level executive. During the meeting I asked if there was any information yet on the changeover timetable for the next generation 2015 Mustang. The senior Ford executive confirmed that the rumors are true. Ford will produce a 2014 1/2 Model Year Mustang as the official 50th Anniversary Edition and that the changeover to the all-new, next generation 2015 Mustang won't happen until at least July next year or later.

He also stated that there's a lot more influence from the Evos concept vehicle that hasn't been revealed yet. As such, it seems that we'll all have to wait a lot longer to see the new Mustang and learn about the new specifications!

Edited by ice-capades

THANKS ice-capades!!

questions:

- ANY chance of mis-information?

- do you know if the 2014½ is on the S550 platform?

- do you know when the 2014½ can be ordered?

OH! &

- any idea HOW the VIN will reflect that half year?

...fully understand if you can't give answers even if you know them

THANKS ice-capades!!

questions:

- ANY chance of mis-information?

- do you know if the 2014½ is on the S550 platform?

- do you know when the 2014½ can be ordered?

OH! &

- any idea HOW the VIN will reflect that half year?

...fully understand if you can't give answers even if you know them

• The information came from a Sales Operations Manager at Ford, not just a Zone Manager, so I have to believe that what he told me was accurate.

• My understanding is that the 2014 1/2 Anniversary Edition will be on the current platform as I was specifically told that we will not see the all-new, next generation 2015 Mustang until at least the summer, if not later. Ford did a 40th Anniversary Edition for the 2004 Model Year as noted in this excerpt from the 2004 Mustang Order Guide...

40th ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE (434)

(Available on V6 Premium Coupe/Convertible and GT

Premium Coupe/Convertible)

• Unique Crimson Red exterior paint, also available in Black or

Oxford White

• Wheels painted Arizona Beige Metallic

• Arizona Beige Metallic tape stripe on hood (center), lower door

panels and decklid (center)

• Spoiler delete

• Interior Upgrade Package

• Color keyed dual fold-away mirrors

• 40th Anniversary badge on center panel next to power point

• Floor mats in Medium Parchment with 40th Anniversary logo

• Medium Parchment (9H, BH or GH) interior

• Deluxe Parchment (M) cloth convertible top (convertible only,

similar to Cobra convertible top)

Not available with:

• Sport Appearance Group (54V) or Pony Package (54P) or

optional GT wheel (64B)

• The 40th Anniversary 2004 Mustang was sold, titled and registered as a 2004 Mustang the same as all other Mustangs that year. My understanding is that the original 1964 1/2 Mustang was registered and titled as a 1965 Model Year. There was a lot of confusion with the 2004 Mustangs as every Mustang had fender badges with the Mustang 40th Anniversary Edition logo. However, only 2004 Mustangs with the above noted 40th Anniversary package content were actual 40th Anniversary Edition vehicles and the production run was limited to 5,000 vehicles.

• Until Ford releases either a new 2014 1/2 Mustang Order Guide or a revised 2014 Mustang Order Guide there is no way of knowing when the 2014 1/2 Mustang 50th Anniversary Edition will be available for order. It's also not known yet whether the 50th Anniversary Edition will be offered as an additional package option, similar to what was done in 2004 for the 40th Anniversary Edition or whether Ford is going to do a production run of 2014 1/2 Mustangs exclusively designated as the 50th Anniversary Edition. From what I was told it seemed like Ford's plan is to produce the 2014.5 MY Mustang exclusively as the 50th Anniversary Edition but it's way too early to know for certain. The next indication of what the actual plan is will be when Ford posts information on the Mustang production and order bank timetable. I'll post that information as soon as its available but I don't expect to see anything for several months yet.

• Even with the 17 digit VIN #'s that have been in use for many years now, only one digit is used to designate the Model Year. As such, there is no provision for a half-Model Year designation. My guess is that the 2014.5 MY Mustangs will still be classified as 2014's and registered and titled as such. We'll know better once Ford makes an official announcement and provides official information to its dealers!

• At least from what I was told yesterday, I think that Ford's making a mistake with their plans. I'm expecting that Ford will start producing the 2014.5 MY "50th Anniversary" Mustangs in February sometime so that the vehicles will be on the ground at dealers by the April 17th anniversary date. If Ford's Sales Operations Manager is telling me that the changeover won't happen until next summer, I'd expect that the plant will do the retooling during the annual July vacation shutdown with a 2015 Job #1 date of mid-July with the all-new 2015 Mustang possibly arriving at dealers in late August/early September. For a lot of years now, Ford's done the annual Mustang changeover in late January/early February so that the new models were on the ground and available at dealers by the traditional April anniversary date. Now they want to do an anniversary edition based on the "old" model and then roll out the all-new, next generation Mustang at what's almost the end of the Mustang selling season for much of the country. Oh well. We'll all just have to wait to see what Ford actually announces at some future date. Until then, we'll just have to look forward to more spy shots of the next generation Mustang!
Edited by ice-capades

THANKS for taking the time for all that info!!

I agree the timeframe does NOT 'please' me
tho
I was actually anticipating at least 3 categories of "Anniversary model"
- an end of S197 swansong edition
- an very special/intro collectors' edition for the first batch of S550's
- all the other 2015 S550s
& maybe
- an Anniversary Pkg for the S550

I woulda started the swansong soon
switching to the collectors' in Jan right after showing it at NAIAS
then as soon as their limited number were built, begin regular 2015 production whose complete 1st-year variations would first be shown at the NYC autoshow

quickie(tweak)chop of S550 collectors' edition roadster

Edited by 2b2

Think of the consequences if they plan to launch the 2015 model on the anniversary date and it's late. Or it may just not be ready. This way they get the PR from the 40th anniversary with a safe product, then they get to launch the new mustang a few months later with more fanfare. Sentiments aside - I think it's the right decision.

^^ Hi Melino!!

& ice-capades, I forgot to ask about which autoshow for the debut

can't be NAIAS or better not be...THAT long before Job1

think that's what I dislike most - was counting on seeing it (by) then

Edited by 2b2

Hola 2b2!! :)

ice-capades, I have the same questions as 2b2 and thanks for this info. Someone at mustang6g spotted this post but I thought I'd get it straight from the source. Needless to say, they are very interested in the production timeframe over there :)

I really like the site BTW. :happy feet:

Edited by Melino

Hola 2b2!! :)

ice-capades, I have the same questions as 2b2 and thanks for this info. Someone at mustang6g spotted this post but I thought I'd get it straight from the source. Needless to say, they are very interested in the production timeframe over there :)

I really like the site BTW. :happy feet:

Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been buried dealing with new vehicle arrivals and website updates, etc. Unfortunately, I can't provide any information beyond what I posted earlier about the next generation Mustang. Until either Ford releases a Model Year changeover schedule or I can get more information via Ford's regional office, I don't expect there to be any new or updated information for a few months yet. As soon as I hear anything further, the BON members will be the first to know!

Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been buried dealing with new vehicle arrivals and website updates, etc. Unfortunately, I can't provide any information beyond what I posted earlier about the next generation Mustang. Until either Ford releases a Model Year changeover schedule or I can get more information via Ford's regional office, I don't expect there to be any new or updated information for a few months yet. As soon as I hear anything further, the BON members will be the first to know!

Thanks ice-capades