Chevy Silverado V-8 Slamming Ford Eco-boost Ads

It's not rocket science.

If you choose a 3.08 or 3.15 rear gears with 5.3, 5.0 or EB you get around 12000-13000 GCWR, choose 3.7 gears and you get 16,000 - 17 000 GCWR

Fuel economy goes out the window when your towing anyway and changing rear axle to increase capacity just makes it use more fuel and at that point,

you have to ask yourself whether a buyer would be better off stepping up to a more capable Silverado 2500 or F250.

Without a long grade maximum towing showdown, most owners won't know how their vehicles perform tow heavy loads

and that's where proper back to back reviews by PUTC ect are invaluabl to owners looking to buy a new truck.

Edited by jpd80

If you choose a 3.08 or 3.15 rear gears with 5.3, 5.0 or EB you get around 12000-13000 GCWR, choose 3.7 gears and you get 16,000 - 17 000 GCWR

It may be a dumb question, but why is it like this? I realize they don't vary the tranny ratios with every different drive axle ratio.

Sure, the lower RPMs mean the engine isn't likely turning at optimum torque levels, but if you're in a lower (tranny) gear anyway, why would this reduce your overall capability?

Is it because the individual gear teeth are stressed more?

The fine print on the Chevy ad is comparing 4x2 mileage.

If you have to get to the other side of No man's land you should also check the fuel tank size

If you go with a 4x4, you should go farther in a EcoBoost 4x4 with the larger tank than the Chevy.

edit: In a 26 gallon tank compared to a 36 gallon, you should go around 194 miles more in No Man's land in the EcoBoost.

Edited by Bryan1

Good point, but keep in mind that it's all relative. Going from 3.08 to 3.73 is a 21% change in gearing. Going from 3.55 to 3.73 is only a 5% change.

Can tell you when testing my F150 prior to purchase, you could notice a significant difference off the line with the 3.73 versus the 3.55. Sure, maybe the every day joe wouldn't notice, but even during test drives I could feel the difference between the two. Not sure how much fuel cost difference I'd experience if I had gone with the 3.55 instead, but was willing to sacrifice that for the difference in drive,

• Like 1

Can tell you when testing my F150 prior to purchase, you could notice a significant difference off the line with the 3.73 versus the 3.55. Sure, maybe the every day joe wouldn't notice, but even during test drives I could feel the difference between the two. Not sure how much fuel cost difference I'd experience if I had gone with the 3.55 instead, but was willing to sacrifice that for the difference in drive,

You've got a pretty sensitive butt-dyno then.

Just to make sure we're clear, it wasn't a compliment on your butt. :stop:

I know. From my impression it was slight, but I couldn tell the difference. The average joe may not notice the difference in such gearing. But must say, in the 04-08 F150 5.4L 4spd 4x4, when you test drive a version with 3.55 and 3.73, you do notice a slight initial launch difference and tach readings between the two. No it's not significant or overwhelming, but it's noticeable if you pay attention.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

Typical dynos shows 240-250 rwhp, 290-300 rwtq for the 5.4 3V and 300-315 rwhp and 320-330 rwtq for the 5.0.

The 5.0 matches the 5.4 3V up to about 3000 then it just runs away.

The 6R80 5.4 does feel "torquier" in low rpm-part throttle conditions, but this is due to the twin bore TB/DBW tuning.

I've seen 5.0's pick up 40+ lb-ft below 3500 rpm with VCT tuning.

The 5.0 is a drastically superior powerplant.

Edited by White99GT

I know.

Whew! :)

From my impression it was more as a slight, like I couldn't tell the difference. The average joe may not notice the difference in such gearing. But must say, in the 04-08 F150 5.4L 4spd 4x4, when you test drive a version with 3.55 and 3.73, you do notice a slight initial launch difference and tach readings between the two. No it's not significant or overwhelming, but it's noticeable if you pay attention.

Yeah, the 4 speed tranny really held the truck back, IMO.

• Like 1

The 5.0 is a drastically superior powerplant.

Agreed, but in certain aspect, the 5.4L may lead some to perceive it as superior in those rare or limited situations.

Yeah, the 4 speed tranny really held the truck back, IMO.

Agreed. While I love my 4spd as it's been bullet proof, the 6spd behind the 5.4L and 5.0L provides much better performance.

• Like 2

GM has just announced they will be applying up to $1,000 incentive to '14 silverados

in response to poorer sales last month....

Automotive News

October 2, 2013

Article Quotes:

DETROIT -- General Motors is rolling out fresh incentives on its redesigned 2014 pickups, after demand for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra declined in September amid heavy discounts by rivals Ford and Ram.

Sales of GM's full-sized pickups fell 8 percent last month. GM said 2014 models accounted for about 60 percent of September volume.

For October, GM is offering $1,000 in customer cash on the '14 Silverado and an additional $500 on some higher-priced packages, such as the All Star and Texas editions, according to a document sent to dealers.

GM also is offering a new "sales manager bonus program" that will award dealers a $200 bonus for each eligible '14 Silverado sale.

McNeil confirmed that GM today began offering fresh incentives on the '14 pickups, but he didn't discuss them in detail. He said the move was planned and was not a response to competitive pressure.

"We're going to continue to work our plan and introduce them in the right way," McNeil said.