My new 2014 Explorer XLT 4x4

OTOH, having a rubber mat in the back makes clean up a snap. ;)

Yes I'm always hauling something so the mat makes sense. Speaking of the cargo area the one thing I do miss is the separate window that opens in the tailgate. I had it on my older Explorers and on my Escape. It's a minor thing, but it's handy. I can understand why they got rid of it... More complex, more weight, more places to leak, more cost... Even though this does have the power lift gate option I do miss that separate window for throwing a few bags in the back.

• Like 1

Yes I'm always hauling something so the mat makes sense. Speaking of the cargo area the one thing I do miss is the separate window that opens in the tailgate. I had it on my older Explorers and on my Escape. It's a minor thing, but it's handy. I can understand why they got rid of it... More complex, more weight, more places to leak, more cost... Even though this does have the power lift gate option I do miss that separate window for throwing a few bags in the back.

Amen to that! We really do miss that on our Flex (we had an Escape before it).

• 3 weeks later...

We already got hit with a big snowstorm today and I have to say even with the stock 20" Hankook tires this thing really moves through snow. The snow mode works well and you can watch it distribute power when you set the left information screen to Intelligent 4WD. In sand mode it is a 50-50 split which also works well to back out of the driveway in deep snow.

post-19901-0-73087300-1380920202_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

We already got hit with a big snowstorm today and I have to say even with the stock 20" Hankook tires this thing really moves through snow. The snow mode works well and you can watch it distribute power when you set the left information screen to Intelligent 4WD. In sand mode it is a 50-50 split which also works well to back out of the driveway in deep snow.

Oh yeah, you guys got just dumped on. Saw pics from Spearfish. People crying about the trees. Hey we got that in April. Doesn't kill near as many trees as you'd think.

Oh yeah, you guys got just dumped on. Saw pics from Spearfish. People crying about the trees. Hey we got that in April. Doesn't kill near as many trees as you'd think.

My bushes are all down to the ground, but they will spring right back up. It doesn't hurt the pines or spruce at all. They are made for it. I lost power for part of the day so the house was getting cold, but they got it back up about an hour ago.

I just say a lil' black mail goes a long way to making a deal work to your benefit. Specially when you see him 260 miles away at Disney World and your like "hmm Hi, surprise seeing you here, and this pretty young lady on your arm who is not your wife is named____________?" :)

• 2 months later...

The wife and I test drove a fully loaded limited explorer and I loved it, but my wife really wants an acadia denali and no matter how hard I try to convince her, she is set on the acadia. Seems to be more space in the acadia especially the third row so she thinks people will be more comfortable. The explorer has two buckets seats in the third row and the acadia has bench seating. oh well happy wife, happy life.

The wife and I test drove a fully loaded limited explorer and I loved it, but my wife really wants an acadia denali and no matter how hard I try to convince her, she is set on the acadia. Seems to be more space in the acadia especially the third row so she thinks people will be more comfortable. The explorer has two buckets seats in the third row and the acadia has bench seating. oh well happy wife, happy life.

My advice: Explorer and a Russian mail-order bride

• Like 1

Well, you picked the WORST color imaginable.... good job. Hope they gave you a killer deal.

Besides that, how you like it so far? I'm torn on these... sometimes I love the new new look, sometimes it just befuddles me.... I think they probably look best in Black or Red

Why did I pick the worst color imaginable? Isn't vehicle color personal preference anyhow? I might be alone, but I happen to like Sterling Grey. With that said, the vehicle has been great. Nothing has caused a return trip to the dealer yet with about 3,000 miles on it. If I had any complaints they would be that the Hankook tires aren't the best in snow, but I get by alright with 4WD and the lcd screens on each side of the speedometer have just went black a time or two while driving, but then seem to reset after about 30 seconds. I have found that the sand mode also works pretty well to get out of deep snow and it tows my utility trailer with a snowmobile on it up with much more confidence then my Escape did... especially on a snow covered or slushy road. Edited by 2005Explorer