Using Sync to read text. help please?

Why doesn't it make sense?

Both devices have to support the same protocol.

It's like saying, 'I don't understand why this genius German person can't understand English. He's smart. I'm smart. We should be able to understand each other perfectly.'

And I might also add that standards implementations in mobile computing are spotty, and the standards themselves are far from it.

We went from a happy world where protocols were incredibly robust (USB, SVGA, SATA, PCIe, TCP/IP, HTTP) and *generally* well implemented (with the exception of IE and Javascript and CSS), to this crazy world of mobile computing where interfacing between devices has basically returned us to late 70s/early 80s PC mode.

An Iphone is one of the most popular phones in the world thats why it doesnt make sense. who gives a crap if sync can read non smart phone texts. so you make a couple of people happy that have a jitterbug phone but not the main folkds that buy your cars.

What's Ford going to do? Barge into Apple's offices and loudly insist that, since they're incredibly popular, they should support the SMS over BT protocol?

Yes, whats the problem? I work in I.T. in the travel industry and we have to make sure that any new feature we put out there works with the most competitive 3rd party systems. if it was an outdated technology then no of course not but this is not the case here.

Yes, whats the problem? I work in I.T. in the travel industry and we have to make sure that any new feature we put out there works with the most competitive 3rd party systems. if it was an outdated technology then no of course not but this is not the case here.

Let me rephrase your complaint:

Why can't I get Southwest airfare quotes on Orbitz? Southwest is a very popular airline. Orbitz should be able to provide airfare quotes for them. And if they can't what's the point of even *having* a website like Orbitz?

My Motorola Droid MAXX works just fine. Come to think of it every phone I have owned has been a Motorola and they have always sent texts through SYNC with or without MFT. If you want it to work you might just have to choose something other then an iPhone next time. I'm an Apple guy, but seriously that 4" display is too small for me.

Let me rephrase your complaint:

Why can't I get Southwest airfare quotes on Orbitz? Southwest is a very popular airline. Orbitz should be able to provide airfare quotes for them. And if they can't what's the point of even *having* a website like Orbitz?

I am not really sure what your defending but I can make analogies all day.

It would be more like ford make all Fusions manuals instead of automatics knowing most of the public have no desire for it.

The issue is that Ford can only make MFT support the protocol - they can't force cell phone makers/service providers to support it. And if you think about it, what other bluetooth devices actually use the message protocol? I can't think of any. And how many people do you know who would buy something other than an iphone just because it doesn't support sync text messages? So this just isn't a priority feature for apple or any other mfr/provider. If there were other devices that used this it would be a lot higher on the feature list.

The issue is that Ford can only make MFT support the protocol - they can't force cell phone makers/service providers to support it. And if you think about it, what other bluetooth devices actually use the message protocol? I can't think of any. And how many people do you know who would buy something other than an iphone just because it doesn't support sync text messages? So this just isn't a priority feature for apple or any other mfr/provider. If there were other devices that used this it would be a lot higher on the feature list.

I would argue that Apple has incentive to limit its support of open standards for device integration as they are busy trying to get manufacturers to adopt "eyes free", which is an opportunity to get licensing money from customers who may not otherwise own an Apple product or spend any money with Apple.

I have the same phone. How do you get yours to read texts through sync? Mine will do everything but that since the upgrade to Android 4.1.2.

I have the newest MAXX that came out last fall so mine is currently running 4.2.2, but my last RAZR MAXX ran 4.1.2 like yours and worked fine. There might be a setting either on the phone or in SYNC itself that needs to be changed... I'm not sure. Sorry I was of little help, but maybe you can find the info from a forum through a Google search.

I just dont understand why sync doesnt work with an Iphone it makes no f'ing sense.

The benchmark is: Does it work on other car manufacturers systems? It is my understanding that iPhone Text does not - even Audi, BMW and Mercedes. If I am wrong, and it works on GM, Chrysler, Toyota, others etc, then Ford is dropping the ball. If it is equal across the board and nobody can get the iPhone to work then we have a level playing field and it is an Apple problem.

I have an iPhone 4S and SYNC/MLT reads my texts and emails. It does get a little glitchy at times but all I do is forget the device and then re-pair it and it works fine again.

Yes it works on MFT/MLT but not the previous Sync versions without MFT/MLT.

For some reason, I do have to delete my phone and re-pair because it stops reading texts. I think it has something to do with my wife taking the car and using her phone through mft and it doesn't retain the map settings when i get back in. I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...