A Lincoln Wish List

Lincolns are also sold in China.

And as to it being or not being a global brand, let's lay our cards on the table: 'global brand' means 'sold in Europe' to the people agitating for 'global brands.'

IMO, selling American cars (except for a minuscule few) in Europe is like trying to sell margarine to a dairy farmer. It's like trying to convince your big brother that you're actually better than him at something. It's a waste of time and effort.

Therefore, IMO, Lincoln is not, and never should be considered as a 'global brand' per the operating definition here.

Expanding it in South America (esp. Brazil & Argentina) and Russia is about all I'd say merits consideration.

Edited by RichardJensen

Lincolns are also sold in China.

Expanding it in South America (esp. Brazil & Argentina) and Russia is about all I'd say merits consideration.

They are? I didn't realize that. Yet BUICK is the brand of choice?

And for your second statement, would that be a "for now" statement, or a "forever" one?

As long as there's a BMW, Mercedes and Audi, Lincoln has no business in Europe.

---

And yeah, Ford, I don't think has a full slate of Lincolns for sale in China, but they do sell them there as white market new cars.

---

Also Buick has a long history in China--going back to the Sun Yat Sen era, IIRC.

Yeah. Emerging markets, not mature ones (W. Europe)

I am extremely doubtful of a globalized Lincoln, even in emerging markets. Lincoln is not a well known brand globally, and above all other carmakers, it is the most US-geared brand in the business. When it comes to luxury cars, you have to be pretty damn spectacular to grab attention and respect, and even caddy can't do it. Luxury is a very image conscious business, Lincoln has very little cache domestically let alone overseas.

Edited by BORG

Lincoln has very little cache domestically let alone overseas.

Where Lincoln has cachet (how you actually spell it) is not as a 'driver's car', nor as an ostentatious symbol of wealth, but as a privately owned black car.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/24/pf/autos/lincoln/

IMO, the classic big three in 'black cars' are MB, Rolls Royce & Lincoln. When someone's chauffeured, what other car comes to mind?

Ford Japan lists Navigator and MKX

http://www.ford.co.jp/servlet/ContentServe...e&c=DFYPage

RE;Ford China, it was planned that the Navigator would be offered, but maybe this did not happen.

Didn't see that on the Ford Global website...I stand corrected, thank you MKII.....btw, the pic of the Navigator and MKX next to each other is cool...too bad that is not the future design direction of the grille...I kinda like it.