Impala vs. 500

Edgey

Ever since I've started seeing more and more of the new Chevy Impala tooling around the roads, I'm finding myself stunned by my reaction. That thing looks good! In fact, I think it looks better than the 500!

The Impala looks a little leaner and meaner, and the higher-end model makes quite an impression with its ginormous wheels. The Impala design simply looks lighter and fresher, the 500 is extremely neutral with no attention paid to portion control. Hopefully the 500 will be more appropriate enhanced for 2008. I'm convinced there is a good body in there that's being hidden by lack of appropriate detailing.

The sad thing is that Five HUndred is juast so much better vehicle .... Impala is still based on the ancient W-body platform, offes no AWD, and does not handle well..

I hope the MKs will finally do just ice to this platform.

Igor

Chevy did clean the poor thing up from recent years. I never could understand the appeal of the previous styling. Of course, the went from bizarre to looking very much like Chevy's own version of the Accord.

From the exterior, I'd have to say its a toss up. I've always thought the 500 bore a slight resemblence to the Lexus LS430 from the front. The rear isn't too bad either, but what hurts the 500 in my opinion is the side profile. That just kills it for me. If they had been able to stretch the 500 a foot or so with a longer hood and rear deck, it would have been a much more attractive automobile. The Impala looks kind of plain from the front, but the side profile and rear is superior in my view to the 500. Now, where the 500 surpasses the Impala is clearly in the interior. True to usual form, the Chevy looks and feels cheaper than the Ford. That includes everything from the seating materials to the dash and switches and buttons.

If I were shopping for a six cylinder large sedan...I'd definitely throw in the 300 Touring sedan or Charger for comparison sake. I think its the best compromise in terms of looks, power and build quality.

Chevy did clean the poor thing up from recent years. I never could understand the appeal of the previous styling. Of course, the went from bizarre to looking very much like Chevy's own version of the Accord.

From the exterior, I'd have to say its a toss up. I've always thought the 500 bore a slight resemblence to the Lexus LS430 from the front. The rear isn't too bad either, but what hurts the 500 in my opinion is the side profile. That just kills it for me. If they had been able to stretch the 500 a foot or so with a longer hood and rear deck, it would have been a much more attractive automobile. The Impala looks kind of plain from the front, but the side profile and rear is superior in my view to the 500. Now, where the 500 surpasses the Impala is clearly in the interior. True to usual form, the Chevy looks and feels cheaper than the Ford. That includes everything from the seating materials to the dash and switches and buttons.

If I were shopping for a six cylinder large sedan...I'd definitely throw in the 300 Touring sedan or Charger for comparison sake. I think its the best compromise in terms of looks, power and build quality.

i like the 500 alot, looks to sit a bit high but i guess thats ok, i saw a nice 07 SEL with moonroof and foglamps in red, looked rather nice... was about 23k.. one thing, how does the 3.0 feel? seems a bit heavier car for that engine?

Probably would depend on who you ask, Magallun. The 500 in my opinion is a much more refined sedan than the Taurus thatit seems to replace. Its bigger, quieter, safer and the interior quality is probably class-leading among the FWD full size sedans, especially the domestic FWD sedans.

I test drove a 500 and was generally pleased mechanically with what I saw, except for what I viewed as too much weight with too little power and the 3.0L engine seemed to protest revving. The engine noise, while not harsh, was intrusive a bit too much and made me feel as if it didn't want to go with any kind of enthusiasim. It sort of groaned at the notion of accelerating at three-quarter and up throttle entering the highway. Ford wanted to have the 500 come across as a very refined, class-leading sedan but the engine IMO is not quite up to the task. The 3.5L on the way may alleviate that sentiment.

I'm not going to use this post to tout the Crown Vic, but I thought the old school Vic with the handling/performance package rode and handled about the same, accelerated much better and was just as composed and as quiet as the 500 was. Much more satisfying to me personally, although I have a bit more appreciation for RWD anyway. Plus, I got mostly all the options you can get on the 500, including a power moonroof. The 500 is a good solid sedan, but a bit too sedate for my tastes in terms of driving. That's just my .02 though.

The main reasoning why I would prefer the 500 is this...

Impala- 1988 W-body

500- Volvo S80 chassis

Now I agree the 500 needs some visual improvement and an optional engine. Both are suppose to be coming soon so hopefully the decision won't be as hard. Just remember new sheetmetal can't hide an ancient platform. If you want to see where the old W-body shows it's ugly face...check out the back seat in the Impala then look at the 500.

With all of that said, I sort of like the style of the Impala as well, but I know fancy wrapping paper can't hide an old chassis, 4 speed auto and OHV engines that date to the early 1980's.

i don't think my argument would have anything to do with what is a BETTER car. the 500 has an ultra-modern platform beneath it, the impala does not. constant criticism is heaped on it's handling. (yet, constant criticism is heaped on the duratec 3.0, too, but some of us think it's okey dokey.)

i just think that someone from 1969 would take one look at the impala and recognize it as an american car. i say it has classic american looks.

i also wouldn't fault those pushrod engines. that 3.9 v6 could fit in the space of a lot of 4 cylinder engines, and puts out a health 242hp. no, it's not the smoothest engine on earth, but it's pretty sophisticated for what it is.

I like hearing the growl of the V8 in my neighbor's new black SS model when he pulls out of the sub.

I haven't had the opportunity to want or do the same with any 500's that go by me.

That said, I do think the 500 is probably one of the better products Ford's put out in the last decade. I'm very curious to see how successful the upcoming refreshening goes.

Here's a link to the Edmunds review of said SS:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/.../pageNumber=1#1

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

If Ford would have seen fit to have a more classic American styled sedan, followed DCX into the RWD/AWD set-up and had the 3.5L V6 ready in 2005, there would likely be no question who would be less criticized here. If the 500 had the proportions of the Fusion (just larger) and was capable of a flexible platform to produce RWD, FWD or AWD with a strong V6 (maybe the 4.4 V8 as an option), you probably would have seen the market embrace it universally as the greatest Ford sedan ever built.

Such wasn't the case and I'm not sure that it could have been. It would have been a great opportunity and I believe a great achievement for Ford.

If Ford would have seen fit to have a more classic American styled sedan, followed DCX into the RWD/AWD set-up and had the 3.5L V6 ready in 2005, there would likely be no question who would be less criticized here. If the 500 had the proportions of the Fusion (just larger) and was capable of a flexible platform to produce RWD, FWD or AWD with a strong V6 (maybe the 4.4 V8 as an option), you probably would have seen the market embrace it universally as the greatest Ford sedan ever built.

Such wasn't the case and I'm not sure that it could have been. It would have been a great opportunity and I believe a great achievement for Ford.

1) Could have would have should have spak is easy

2) LX cars are far from universal success, and base 2-3 years after introduction are cooling offver y rapidly

3) I am not aware of ANY platoform in the world that could manage FWD, AWD and RWD....

Igor

1) Could have would have should have spak is easy

2) LX cars are far from universal success, and base 2-3 years after introduction are cooling offver y rapidly

3) I am not aware of ANY platoform in the world that could manage FWD, AWD and RWD....

Igor

Like I said...

...I'm not sure that it could have been. It would have been a great opportunity and I believe a great achievement for Ford.

If there is any company that couldn't conceive that they actually could produce a revolutionary platform, it would most likely be Ford. It has to be possible that a flexible use platform could be developed. To compare the DCX triplets' results to what Ford might have done is non-debateable because it never happened. Ford may have had more success with a very similar product. The LXs have cooled, the D3 never really warmed up. Plus, I don't think the rear wheel drive is responsible for the DCX slowdown.

Looks to me that the entire domestic market has cooled considerably and the large sedans just have an image problem in this class of automobile when cars like the Accord and Camry are heralded with such esteem. Plus, Hyundai seems to be coming on strong in the United States. I'm seeing a substantial increase in new Hyundais. Are people only interested now in mostly mid-size and compact sedans now? Have people become so shelled shocked by rising gas prices that they are trading in their SUVs for compact sedans? Where are all the SUV and truck sales going?

Edited by Traveler

okay, just went and test drove one.. all in all its a great car, fit in finish is great, i couldnt really find anything wrong... the AWD and CVT are nice, car feels pretty peepy acutally, but you have to make it do it.. iam used to my lower ride of my contour, but the 500 just gave me a totally different view, your higher up and just seem to have more vision all over... handles rather well for a bigger car imho, the sticker on the awd limited was 30k, rather hefty i think for just having a 3.0... if they do put a 3.5 in it, hope they dont expect to charge much more... went and took a SEL out, 23k for moonroof, fog lamps, leather, 17" rims.. pretty damn good car for that price imho, i like it, but may wait a bit too see if they do put a different engine in it, the 3.0 is fine for fusion, but 500 needs something a bit more... all in all very nice car... kinda liked it better than fusion.. but thats just me.

I think the domestic market was due to cool down by this time. Anyone that even THOUGHT they were going to trade within the next 2-3 years pulled the trigger during last years "employee pricing/how many vehicles can we give away" sales at Ford, GM, and DCX. They pulled sales ahead and now you are seeing the effects.

I think the domestic market was due to cool down by this time. Anyone that even THOUGHT they were going to trade within the next 2-3 years pulled the trigger during last years "employee pricing/how many vehicles can we give away" sales at Ford, GM, and DCX. They pulled sales ahead and now you are seeing the effects.

i heard on radio in milwaukee that the dodge dealer is offering employee pricing plus 1500-3500 rebates on every vehicle.. lol.. cool, maybe ford will follow suit soon.. can get more discounts on a new 500 or fusion.

Edited by MGallun

okay, just went and test drove one.. all in all its a great car, fit in finish is great, i couldnt really find anything wrong... the AWD and CVT are nice, car feels pretty peepy acutally, but you have to make it do it.. iam used to my lower ride of my contour, but the 500 just gave me a totally different view, your higher up and just seem to have more vision all over... handles rather well for a bigger car imho, the sticker on the awd limited was 30k, rather hefty i think for just having a 3.0... if they do put a 3.5 in it, hope they dont expect to charge much more... went and took a SEL out, 23k for moonroof, fog lamps, leather, 17" rims.. pretty damn good car for that price imho, i like it, but may wait a bit too see if they do put a different engine in it, the 3.0 is fine for fusion, but 500 needs something a bit more... all in all very nice car... kinda liked it better than fusion.. but thats just me.

the D35 (265hp) will be in the Five Hundred come next spring .. also the car will have a new nose and tail and maybe changed interior.

There will be no CVT though - only a newd 6sopeed automatic.

Igor

i heard on radio in milwaukee that the dodge dealer is offering employee pricing plus 1500-3500 rebates on every vehicle.. lol.. cool, maybe ford will follow suit soon.. can get more discounts on a new 500 or fusion.

DCX is the only one with a fire sale this year ...

GM and Ford simply cannot afford another sale like last year Besides, the inventory levels for Ford and GM are not too bad - especially for Cars - Ford for example has only 48 days supply of cars (as of Aug 1st) which is LOWER than should be (60 days is standard).

there is very little chance there will be any significant discounts on Fords anytime soon ... one possibility is when the 08 Five Hundred comes out the 07's might have some discounts, t clear them off the lot in light of better (and probably equally priced) option.

Igor

PS: here is the Five Hundred's new nose ... my creation based directly on the spy shots posted here on BON

500-2medium.jpg

Igor

the D35 (265hp) will be in the Five Hundred come next spring .. also the car will have a new nose and tail and maybe changed interior.

There will be no CVT though - only a newd 6sopeed automatic.

Igor

DCX is the only one with a fire sale this year ...

GM and Ford simply cannot afford another sale like last year Besides, the inventory levels for Ford and GM are not too bad - especially for Cars - Ford for example has only 48 days supply of cars (as of Aug 1st) which is LOWER than should be (60 days is standard).

there is very little chance there will be any significant discounts on Fords anytime soon ... one possibility is when the 08 Five Hundred comes out the 07's might have some discounts, t clear them off the lot in light of better (and probably equally priced) option.

Igor

PS: here is the Five Hundred's new nose ... my creation based directly on the spy shots posted here on BON

500-2medium.jpg

Igor

ehhh.. they going with that chrome grille treatment.. pretty neat... in milwaukee i keep hearing on radio from both gm and toyota, we are the best selling passengar cars in milwaukee.. i visit dealers alot on sundays, iam kinda in market, but dont feel like being followed around and bugged, so normally visit on sundays.. a few dealers in milwaukee had 0 focus, and very low in 500 and fusions, trucks on the other hand, are all over.. when i went to sorens ford today at lunch, they told me the ford dealers sales in milwaukee area that last 3 months has been very very good and they are excited about the edge and some and the 07s as it seems they are getting more and more visitors.. the fusion has really jumped up their visits and sales..

Try driving a V8 FWD Impala, torque steer is reportedly real bad. Reviews in Auto Week and Chi. Tribune mentioned this.

The Impala is an at its limit design. 18 yers old, stretched out as big as they could. By 2008, this car will be highly outdated when the next gen Malibu comes out. The RWD Impala comes in 2010.

And the styling is boring as all the cars the analysts complain about. Looks like a Hyundai product with some Chevy badges.

Edited by 630land

There one thing to keep in mind 2009 - 2010 Impala will be RWD ..

Igor

Indeed the Impala will be new, but is RWD a certainty? I think RWD/AWD would be a mistake in this price-class. RWD is impractical in many envrionments and AWD will be an expensive option. The Impala is priced to cover the lowest common denominator so you have to provide a car that fits that market. The 500 is something of a missed opportunity, but 2008 may help to solve some of its problems. The 500 makes a tough first impression, especially when you drive it and discover the inadequacy of the engine. It's EXTREMELY loud and anemic. I once heard a reletive describe the car as 'embarassing', refering to the impression it made on her of the new Ford. Quite frankly, I'm stunned Ford put the 500 on the market in its current condition.

Even though the Impala is extremely obsolete, it does a very good job hidding this fact. When you drive it, you have plenty of power, excellent space, decent handling, quiet cabin, and smooth transmission. I got to drive one recently as a rental and was impressed (of course, it was a rental!). The 500 kills the thing in many other respects, namely handling, steering, rigidty, and overall driving poise. The 500 is such a good car that did not hit the market fully realized. I'm convinced 2008 will be the year the car finally vindicates itself.

What did those in the wintery climates do before FWD? :D Nowadays you have stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, etc. so why does RWD have to be so dangerous when the Europeans are committed to RWD? Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have to drive in the icy stuff that often. Besides, that I've seen instability from FWD cars. It seems to involve more than just what wheels are torquing.

I thought there was some rumblings about the Malibu being upsized to address the needs of those wanting FWD for those very same reasons. If so, that would indeed open the door for RWD with the Impala. I think its a smart move for Chevy. You take a iconic name like 'Impala' and return it to its original roots. It'll connect with its target audience and will likely compete sternly against the Charger for police fleet sales in all likelihood since Ford seems a bit weak in stepping up to the plate with a substantial offering in the RWD market.

the Europeans are committed to RWD?

Just the European stuff we get over here. Nothing below the "Executive class" sedan in Europe is RWD. Nothing from nobody. It's all FWD/AWD. Mondeo on down---

And too many people got too burned by hotchkiss axled poorly balanced RWD bloat-mobiles in the 70s and early 80s, when there were well-sorted FWDs to compare them with, to soon forget. Add to it that RWD vehicles still take a bit of a trick to start on slick surfaces, and you've got a recipe for a continued 'bread and butter' preference for FWD. Why fight it?

Really? Every time I see a new Impala I have to do a double take to make sure it's not a 1996 Lumina. :hysterical:

That said, I'm not real impressed with the Five Hundred's visual presence either.

Yes, Lumina it is. And the real funny part is all those Chevy fans who think it's an all-new car!