Common Core is taking aim at the souls of our children, says a classical educator

fmccap

I choose to not respond as I am inclined at this moment. But the assertion that I am a liar is flat out wrong and slanderous.

I have finally learned it's not worth it. You can directly answer his questions and he deflects, name calls or attacks the source. Now as for him, never directly answers a question and the same stuff(deflects, name calls or attacks the source) over and over and over again.

He is a perfect role model of the 2 parties, just what they want in their sheep. Divided and obedient to there kings.

I choose to not respond as I am inclined at this moment. But the assertion that I am a liar is flat out wrong and slanderous.

I don't think so given the faulty logic excuses you have been throwing out here.

By the way I didn't slander you. I accused you directly of not being honest, and of being a hypocrite. That's not slander.

Edited by Langston Hughes

I have finally learned it's not worth it. You can directly answer his questions and he deflects, name calls or attacks the source. Now as for him, never directly answers a question and the same stuff(deflects, name calls or attacks the source) over and over and over again.

He is a perfect role model of the 2 parties, just what they want in their sheep. Divided and obedient to there kings.

Hmmm, look at the bold. LOL.

If the right wing rag you or the other link bomber NAP are using is not telling the truth, then they deserve criticism. Especially if you quote the most bullshit part, like has recently been done.

Edited by Langston Hughes

:backtotopic:

http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/ms-college-career-standards/myths-vs-facts

The Mississippi board of education, put this out.

Higher Expectations, Higher Achievement
Common Core State Standards – Myths vs. Facts
Myth: The Common Core Standards are federal standards.
Fact: The standards were developed through a state-led initiative spearheaded by governors and state school chiefs. The federal government did not develop the standards.
Myth: The standards are federally mandated.
Fact: The standards are not federally mandated. Mississippi, along with 45 other states and the District of Columbia, voluntarily adopted the standards. The federal government didn’t write them, didn’t approve them, and doesn’t mandate them.
Myth: The Common Core shifts control of education from local school boards to the federal government.
Fact: Local school boards retain their same level of authority as they had prior to the adoption of the standards.

Myth: The standards will be implemented through NCLB – signifying the federal government will be leading them.
Fact: The Common Core State Standards initiative is a state‐led effort that is not part of No Child Left Behind and adoption of the standards is in no way mandatory. States began the work to create clear, consistent standards before the Recovery Act or the Elementary and Secondary Education Act blueprint were released because this work is being driven by the needs of the states, not the federal government.

LH,

What you have said leaves out some important information that may alter the reader's perception

Common Core is voluntary, insomuch as having a mandatory seat belt law is voluntary. States that don't implement it lose out on Federal cash.

Common Core was developed by Achieve.org and The National Governors Association; neither are "State-level" organizations, and both are (in part) funded by Federal moneys. That's not the same thing as saying it was a "State-led" effort. There was very little (if any) State-level input in development of the standards.

And just so I am clear. I AM NOT AGAINST IMPROVEMENTS IN EDUCATION, however I have found the practical application of the (Common Core) standards is and has been detrimental toward its promoted purpose.

Edited by RangerM
  • Like 1

If the right wing rag you or the other link bomber NAP are using is not telling the truth, then they deserve criticism. Especially if you quote the most bullshit part, like has recently been done.

Kind of like this?

http://www.mde.k12.m.../myths-vs-facts

The Mississippi board of education, put this out.

Higher Expectations, Higher Achievement
Common Core State Standards – Myths vs. Facts
Myth: The Common Core Standards are federal standards.
Fact: The standards were developed through a state-led initiative spearheaded by governors and state school chiefs. The federal government did not develop the standards.
Myth: The standards are federally mandated.
Fact: The standards are not federally mandated. Mississippi, along with 45 other states and the District of Columbia, voluntarily adopted the standards. The federal government didn’t write them, didn’t approve them, and doesn’t mandate them.
Myth: The Common Core shifts control of education from local school boards to the federal government.
Fact: Local school boards retain their same level of authority as they had prior to the adoption of the standards.

Myth: The standards will be implemented through NCLB – signifying the federal government will be leading them.
Fact: The Common Core State Standards initiative is a state‐led effort that is not part of No Child Left Behind and adoption of the standards is in no way mandatory. States began the work to create clear, consistent standards before the Recovery Act or the Elementary and Secondary Education Act blueprint were released because this work is being driven by the needs of the states, not the federal government.

LH,

What you have said leaves out some important information that may alter the reader's perception

Common Core is voluntary, insomuch as having a mandatory seat belt law is voluntary. States that don't implement it lose out on Federal cash.

Common Core was developed by Achieve.org and The National Governors Association; neither are "State-level" organizations, and both are (in part) funded by Federal moneys. That's not the same thing as saying it was a "State-led" effort. There was very little (if any) State-level input in development of the standards.

And just so I am clear. I AM NOT AGAINST IMPROVEMENTS IN EDUCATION, however I have found the practical application of the (Common Core) standards is and has been detrimental toward its promoted purpose.

I'll give you that there was an incentive to use the curriculum from the federal government, but the NGA is not part of the Federal government, despite any funding for it. It's a far cry from the "Obamacore" cries of many right wing groups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/04/19/common-core-standards-attacked-by-republicans/

Republicans have launched an attack on the Common Core State Standards, an initiative that more than 45 states and the District of Columbia signed onto but that has been facing increasing opposition in recent months from both right and left.
This new effort could undermine what has largely been bipartisan cooperation on the Core and is coming even as some states are already implementing the Common Core Standards in English Language Arts and math, and giving students high-stakes Core-aligned standardized tests.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/oct/24/sondy-pope/how-much-federal-government-involved-common-core-s/

Common Core and its origins
Adopted by 45 states, the Common Core State Standards came out of years of discussion between private nonprofit groups and state education departments. The goal: to better prepare students for college and careers and ensure that students in different states learn the same academic concepts.
In Wisconsin, the standards will be aligned with a new standardized test that will roll out in 2014.
Common Core’s website explicitly states that the federal government was not involved in developing the standards. And there is other evidence to support that.
As PolitiFact Florida has noted, the Council of Chief State School Officers -- a national organization of public officials who head state education departments -- discussed developing common standards during its annual policy forum in 2007, a year before Barack Obama won the presidency. In 2009, the council and the National Governors Association agreed to create the Common Core State Standards, developed them with the help of teachers, parents, and experts, and unveiled them in 2010.
So, Pope is accurate on the first part of her claim, that Common Core did not come from the federal government.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2013/oct/22/marco-rubio/common-core-obama-administration-national-school-b/

Perhaps, the problem in education today is education today...

The famous country comedian, Jerry Clower, shares his thoughts on "Why can't johnny Read".

And I'll say even a graduate from my hometown High School in 1975 has a better chance of succeeding in life than a graduate today. Because, graduation no longer is based on the same level of performance.

I'll give you that there was an incentive to use the curriculum from the federal government, but the NGA is not part of the Federal government, despite any funding for it. It's a far cry from the "Obamacore" cries of many right wing groups.

I don't recall saying the NGA is part of the Federal Government. But, an organization doesn't have to be "part of the Federal Government" to do its bidding, either.

My concern (re: Common Core) is not placing blame as much as correcting the error.

I don't recall saying the NGA is part of the Federal Government. But, an organization doesn't have to be "part of the Federal Government" to do its bidding, either.

My concern (re: Common Core) is not placing blame as much as correcting the error.

There seems to be a lot of partisan blame out there so it's hard to tell what is what at times. However I doubt that the NGA did the Obama admins bidding on CC. Too many republicans involved.

What is the functional error of the system? I have the IB in our school system and i don't see any major errors in teaching math and/or the sciences.

There seems to be a lot of partisan blame out there so it's hard to tell what is what at times. However I doubt that the NGA did the Obama admins bidding on CC. Too many republicans involved.

What is the functional error of the system? I have the IB in our school system and i don't see any major errors in teaching math and/or the sciences.

Not sure what you mean by "errors", but I'm referring to teaching technique, not that they teach incorrect information.

We have the IB as part of our magnet program. Not my cup of tea.

Just wondering why you don't like it.

My primary objection is the IB school itself.

The IB program my children would attend is Smith Elementary School near Garner, NC. Located in a distant neighborhood, the bulk of the student body is what some would call "disadvantaged" and largely minority. While I have nothing against the students, it recalls a time when I was bused for an hour to downtown Charlotte under the guise of racial integration. But it was only a mirage. We were diverse outside the school, but once you got inside the bused-in whites (who were usually above average students) were largely segregated from the others who were at or below average. This wound up being a modernized black-white segregation. I see no value in putting my child through the same experience.

Primary education--those grades below High School--are when students learn the three R's (for lack of a better term). It's perhaps my own ignorance, but I don't know where "international standards" or "culture" would play a role in that. Once my children get to High School, my wife an I may reevaluate our opinion, but for now things are the way they are.

Edited by RangerM

My primary objection is the IB school itself.

The IB program my children would attend is Smith Elementary School near Garner, NC. Located in a distant neighborhood, the bulk of the student body is what some would call "disadvantaged" and largely minority. While I have nothing against the students, it recalls a time when I was bused for an hour to downtown Charlotte under the guise of racial integration. But it was only a mirage. We were diverse outside the school, but once you got inside the bused-in whites (who were usually above average students) were largely segregated from the others who were at or below average. This wound up being a modernized black-white segregation. I see no value in putting my child through the same experience.

Primary education--those grades below High School--are when students learn the three R's (for lack of a better term). It's perhaps my own ignorance, but I don't know where "international standards" or "culture" would play a role in that. Once my children get to High School, my wife an I may reevaluate our opinion, but for now things are the way they are.

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was the program itself you didn't like. My son just started high school and is in it. To tell you the truth he is starting beyond things I have ever learned so a lot of the stuff I don't have a clue on. He is a smart boy. When he was young we used to call him Johnny 5 from the movie Short Circuit. "need input"

Well anyways it was recommended from the school after they looked at his previous records and from his placement test. We just told him to do it if he wanted because he always seemed like he was never challenged enough and things started getting boring for him.

Thanks again, I just wanted to see if you had anything bad to say about it because from what I researched it seems like a good program.

Thanks. I was just wondering if it was the program itself you didn't like. My son just started high school and is in it. To tell you the truth he is starting beyond things I have ever learned so a lot of the stuff I don't have a clue on. He is a smart boy. When he was young we used to call him Johnny 5 from the movie Short Circuit. "need input"

Well anyways it was recommended from the school after they looked at his previous records and from his placement test. We just told him to do it if he wanted because he always seemed like he was never challenged enough and things started getting boring for him.

Thanks again, I just wanted to see if you had anything bad to say about it because from what I researched it seems like a good program.

I wish your son the best of luck.

Nowadays, it seems like half the battle of getting a good education is being in a classroom with other similarly enthusiastic students. I know it makes a teacher's job easier, too.

I have enjoyed the IB system that my younger kids are in. The youngest has been exposed to multiple languages and enjoys the linguistic end of things. My older son didn't start in the system so it took him a while to catch up and that has been hard, but he's adjusting to the standards and doing well. I think that they encourage more critical thinking and less rote memorization, plus the culture/language is taught in the sense of knowing the other countries instead of knowing the immigrants.

I have enjoyed the IB system that my younger kids are in. The youngest has been exposed to multiple languages and enjoys the linguistic end of things. My older son didn't start in the system so it took him a while to catch up and that has been hard, but he's adjusting to the standards and doing well. I think that they encourage more critical thinking and less rote memorization, plus the culture/language is taught in the sense of knowing the other countries instead of knowing the immigrants.

Hmmm...started at 12am on the internet by 1...."must be of the clock"....yeah right

For all the hundreds of millions, if not billions, we spend on education, is this what we get?

And remember, there is no intelligence test for voting. Nor any knowledge test. Nor any I.Q. test. Nor any positive identification verification.

Just any ole dumb ass can show up.

And the majority wins. What does that bode for America?* *-edited for punctuation

1 in 4 Americans Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun. Yes, Really.

And then, today, the National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result: around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.

But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not. The NSF poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade. But for me personally, the fact that 26 percent of the respondents were unaware the Earth revolves around the sun shocked me to the core.

Perhaps I’m expecting too much of the U.S. education system? Perhaps this is just an anomaly; a statistical blip? But then, like the endless deluge of snow that is currently choking the East Coast, another outcome of the same poll appeared on the foggy horizon of scientific illiteracy: The majority of young Americans think astrology is a science.

What the what? Have I been transported back to the Dark Ages? Astrology, of course, is not a science; it is a spiritual belief system at best and at worst a pseudoscience driven by charlatans and the tabloid press. The positions of the stars and planets in the sky do not affect my mood and my horoscope has little bearing on the kind of person I am. Even in China, one of the birthplaces of astrology, 92 percent of the people know that astrology is bunk. Really America, get your act together.

Unfortunately, if we are to use the “Is astrology a science?” as a litmus test for scientific literacy, things are looking grim. In 2004, 66 percent of the American public said astrology was bunk. Every year since then, that majority has slipped. By 2012, only 55 percent of Americans considered astrology “not at all scientific.” Probably of most concern is the fact that only 42 percent of young respondents aged between 18-24 said astrology is “not at all scientific.”

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

What do you expect from a country where half of people are raised to believe we came from dirt and incest instead of evolution?

Well, when you know you're "Saved", you know you don't need none of that elitist egg-head book learnin', because Jayzuz knows what you need and that's all you need. Simple, really, been that way for 6,000 years or so they say. :)

• Like 1

What do you expect from a country where half of people are raised to believe we came from dirt and incest instead of evolution?

Parsing your words....."half of people are raised to believe"......being raised to believe has not been established as proof they maintain that belief after being raised.

I, for one, was raised to believe the same thing, but upon reaching the age of majority, I began to question what I was raise to believe and I have since been agnostic, except where I attempt to live by 80% of the Ten Commandments, or maybe 75%.