Volkswagen Vote and IUAW

Although I, like many of the brotherhood are disappointed with the outcome of the Volkswagen unionization vote. I find it ironic that Bob King is calling illegal, the tactics used by the Tennessee republican politicians. It is right out of the Bob King playbook. Isn't that the same thing he threatened us if we didn't pass the last contract? We wouldn't have a new product at our plant or any that didn't ratify it. I'm actually wondering at this point if Mr King is an operative for the Republican party. Stealing our strike fund money and trying to raise our dues. IUAW no longer listens or properly represents the desire of the Brothers and sisters of UAW. What a great way to get all the new hires to lean more toward RTW. My local represents me well but if IUAW continues it's present leadership style of ignoring the members and doing what they want. I for one would have no trouble refusing the international portion of my dues.

Edited by P bass
  • Like 4

Although I, like many of the brotherhood are disappointed with the outcome of the Honda unionization vote. I find it ironic that Bob King is calling illegal, the tactics used by the Tennessee republican politicians. It is right out of the Bob King playbook. Isn't that the same thing he threatened us if we didn't pass the last contract? We wouldn't have a new product at our plant or any that didn't ratify it. I'm actually wondering at this point if Mr King is an operative for the Republican party. Stealing our strike fund money and trying to raise our dues. IUAW no longer listens or properly represents the desire of the Brothers and sisters of UAW. What a great way to get all the new hires to lean more toward RTW. My local represents me well but if IUAW continues it's present leadership style of ignoring the members and doing what they want. I for one would have no trouble refusing the international portion of my dues.

You want to stir the pot at least be smart enough to know what company they were trying to organize.

• Like 1

The IUAW started this entire debacle when they negoiated 2 tier wages. I wonder if anyone knows that BOOB King wanted a permanant seat on the board of directors last contract. He'll try that again before his mandatory retirement so he has a golden parashute for retirement. I detest this idiot. oh yeah I wish I knew where the spell check button is. lol

• Like 1

The article puts it in the nut shell..... "Not anti Union but, anti IUAW way of doing business"

2011 came and went and the membership got?

Oh yeah after CAP turned down the "best they could get", then the (should I say) push.... "YOU BETTER BE THANKFUL YOU GOT A JOB" this from the honorable VP of the once great IUAW, nice way to say "come join us brothers and sisters" "the IUAW will help you become part of the second class of the once great IUAW".

After all the failed attemps, from collage students in Minnesota to VW of America I wonder what the running total of "their" strike fund has paid.

This was but another true evaluation of the job our representitives are doing. If any member held the same track record or job preformance as our IUAW the member would be charged with "poor and careless" and given the next step in discipline.....

10+ years without an hourly in crease, giving up holiday pay, giving up cost of living benefits, giving up break time, giving up environmental relief, giving up clean up time, buying into a fund for the retiree`s that they failed at before, and the best case for discepline..... cut those most thankful for their job the deepest, the ones that are told all about the solidarity fairy tail and then made to work for half with no hope of making what the brother or sister is making right across the line from them.

30 day D.L.O. for all of them...... naaaa that`s not enough.

Decker

Edited by Decker
  • Like 2

Although I, like many of the brotherhood are disappointed with the outcome of the Volkswagen unionization vote. I find it ironic that Bob King is calling illegal, the tactics used by the Tennessee republican politicians. It is right out of the Bob King playbook. Isn't that the same thing he threatened us if we didn't pass the last contract? We wouldn't have a new product at our plant or any that didn't ratify it. I'm actually wondering at this point if Mr King is an operative for the Republican party. Stealing our strike fund money and trying to raise our dues. IUAW no longer listens or properly represents the desire of the Brothers and sisters of UAW. What a great way to get all the new hires to lean more toward RTW. My local represents me well but if IUAW continues it's present leadership style of ignoring the members and doing what they want. I for one would have no trouble refusing the international portion of my dues.

There is a difference between the head of the union passing on what he was told by the company to his members and a outside official doing the same , especially during the election. What Corker did could be considered illegal and we'll just have to see what the NLRB says about it.

• Like 1

The article puts it in the nut shell..... "Not anti Union but, anti IUAW way of doing business"

2011 came and went and the membership got?

Oh yeah after CAP turned down the "best they could get", then the (should I say) push.... "YOU BETTER BE THANKFUL YOU GOT A JOB" this from the honorable VP of the once great IUAW, nice way to say "come join us brothers and sisters" "the IUAW will help you become part of the second class of the once great IUAW".

After all the failed attemps, from collage students in Minnesota to VW of America I wonder what the running total of "their" strike fund has paid.

This was but another true evaluation of the job our representitives are doing. If any member held the same track record or job preformance as our IUAW the member would be charged with "poor and careless" and given the next step in discipline.....

10+ years without an hourly in crease, giving up holiday pay, giving up cost of living benefits, giving up break time, giving up environmental relief, giving up clean up time, buying into a fund for the retiree`s that they failed at before, and the best case for discepline..... cut those most thankful for their job the deepest, the ones that are told all about the solidarity fairy tail and then made to work for half with no hope of making what the brother or sister is making right across the line from them.

30 day D.L.O. for all of them...... naaaa that`s not enough.

Decker

Normally, i agree with you on a lot of things, but posts like this are one reason we are not winning elections or even getting them. Nobody out there cares about your 10 years without a raise, and it's not the thought that unions don't get you raises, but how much union workers whine and bitch about what they don't get when they are so far ahead of everyone else that hurts us as much as anything.

Stop airing our dirty laundry and then blaming others for how the rest of the country sees our union. It's on us as much as Bob.

• Like 2

Normally, i agree with you on a lot of things, but posts like this are one reason we are not winning elections or even getting them. Nobody out there cares about your 10 years without a raise, and it's not the thought that unions don't get you raises, but how much union workers whine and bitch about what they don't get when they are so far ahead of everyone else that hurts us as much as anything.

Stop airing our dirty laundry and then blaming others for how the rest of the country sees our union. It's on us as much as Bob.

Post of the year!

It's not on us if we have no vote. And before you say we do, forget it. We have a kangaroo IUAW voting system. We are no longer members of the IUAW in their eyes, we are a profit center. My local has represented me fine for the last 21 years. My International has represented the interests of the IUAW first and the membership as an after thought. If you think this is dirty laundry the worst is yet to come. All the new hires are young and very social media savy. They, unlike us older workers are much better at moving information from one to another in almost real time speed. IUAW wanting to file suit to set aside the vote appears to the general public as just sore loser. If IUAW wants to get a more favorable vote they need to prove that they are of value to their members. A person considering representation is probably going to look at the recent past to see how effective how that entity did for their membership. People don't need help taking things away, where is the value to that. Until our International shows that they are negotiating the best interest of the membership instead of the back room deals that are totally contrary to the desires of the membership, They are going to continue to be a hard sell. And if anybody believes my opinions and thoughts are not those of many of us is either sorely uninformed or an IUAW shill.

• Like 1

I too, agree with a lot of your points of view and you have earned my respect with your responses over the years. I believe we both agree on the fundamental right to agree to disagree.

It seems there are people (members) that do care about our IUAW`s track record over the last decade or so. Its far from only being posted here on this tread. Langston, you know as well as I the national news articles were being printed on this subject way before the first 2nd tier check was earned. More tmes than not the IUAW has worked the hardest to keep things close to their vest pocket in their attempt to get things done before the word got out. I do agree it`s not just about our lost raises or loss of benefits, it becomes more in line with "what does the IUAW have to offer".

When it comes to whinning about lossing or not gaining wages and benefits you are once agian correct in your reference to the poor looking at the middle class with envy and saying you have things way better than we do. So we should be satisfied with what we have, is this the point you`re making? I know that at this point all the references to our profit sharing and bonuses will be brought up but if one was to look further into our compensation as a whole there is a truely different picture that Ford and the IUAW dosen`t want discussed. We are not earning as we did a decade ago, I reference the WSJ and many other finanical publications when the data backs up their claims for the next big crisis for industry will be the stagnation of the older work force wages and the decline of the wages in the growing minority of the work force, our second tier wage earners. So yes I do agree, like other first tier wage earners I have it way better than the second tier wage earners. I recall something in the consitution about equal pay for equal work. Once a selling point for potential UAW members?

Airing dirty laundry? You do remember Bob getting air time and print space with the his statments on the facts the membership will not see any hourly or benefit increases "unless the IUAW organizes all the trans plants". Great thing to tell the public right after telling his membership that the second tier members will work their way to first tier. Trans plants? nice way to reference an American work force working outside your organization....

Its on us as much as its on Bob? Isn`t that kinda like the farmer getting off the tractor and kicking the tire and saying you didn`t plant that field right? Langston you have shown on this board many times the leadership qualities and I respect your written word very much but really, a leader has a track record like anyone else and our leaders have theirs.

I will add one last thing, this is only an old long hairs opinion, I have great respect for a man that I had the privilege of listening too and talking with on different occasions also working with and taking a few pointers from at our Greathouse facility. This man is in line to become our next IUAW President and my hope for a new direction for my union. Hope...somethimg the IUAW is still unable to sell the American`s working at the trans plant facilities....

Decker

Great points by the respondents on this thread. Decker this topic does get dicey for the IUAW on many fronts though, is it not true that Bob King's office refused a ballot count at Local 551 even though this had never occurred in the history of the local. For Bob King and Settles to claim to want to bring Democracy to the work place and then to refuse to count ballots in a local election raises questions of their ethics to say the least.(And they paid for a recount with the local but never released the results to the members). Another issue is that the GM plant about 100 miles from the VW plant pays the UAW workers less money than current workers at VW. Lastly when the company comes out in favor of a Union as VW did with the UAW as a worker I must wonder what they have in store for me. You are going to trial and the prosecutor is happy about a certain lawyer you have picked, you should pack your bags and get ready for jail or get ready for FPS, concessions, 2 tier pay ect.......

I too, agree with a lot of your points of view and you have earned my respect with your responses over the years. I believe we both agree on the fundamental right to agree to disagree.

It seems there are people (members) that do care about our IUAW`s track record over the last decade or so. Its far from only being posted here on this tread. Langston, you know as well as I the national news articles were being printed on this subject way before the first 2nd tier check was earned. More tmes than not the IUAW has worked the hardest to keep things close to their vest pocket in their attempt to get things done before the word got out. I do agree it`s not just about our lost raises or loss of benefits, it becomes more in line with "what does the IUAW have to offer".

When it comes to whinning about lossing or not gaining wages and benefits you are once agian correct in your reference to the poor looking at the middle class with envy and saying you have things way better than we do. So we should be satisfied with what we have, is this the point you`re making? I know that at this point all the references to our profit sharing and bonuses will be brought up but if one was to look further into our compensation as a whole there is a truely different picture that Ford and the IUAW dosen`t want discussed. We are not earning as we did a decade ago, I reference the WSJ and many other finanical publications when the data backs up their claims for the next big crisis for industry will be the stagnation of the older work force wages and the decline of the wages in the growing minority of the work force, our second tier wage earners. So yes I do agree, like other first tier wage earners I have it way better than the second tier wage earners. I recall something in the consitution about equal pay for equal work. Once a selling point for potential UAW members?

Airing dirty laundry? You do remember Bob getting air time and print space with the his statments on the facts the membership will not see any hourly or benefit increases "unless the IUAW organizes all the trans plants". Great thing to tell the public right after telling his membership that the second tier members will work their way to first tier. Trans plants? nice way to reference an American work force working outside your organization....

Its on us as much as its on Bob? Isn`t that kinda like the farmer getting off the tractor and kicking the tire and saying you didn`t plant that field right? Langston you have shown on this board many times the leadership qualities and I respect your written word very much but really, a leader has a track record like anyone else and our leaders have theirs.

I will add one last thing, this is only an old long hairs opinion, I have great respect for a man that I had the privilege of listening too and talking with on different occasions also working with and taking a few pointers from at our Greathouse facility. This man is in line to become our next IUAW President and my hope for a new direction for my union. Hope...somethimg the IUAW is still unable to sell the American`s working at the trans plant facilities....

Decker

Decker,

I'm no Bob fan trust me on that and i'm not saying that we should just "Be happy we have jobs" because that's bullshit. We deserve to see more since Ford is making more profit, however we need to need to stop complaining about it in public. Our attitudes do not garner any sort of sympathy and truth be told make us look like little greedy bitches. People on longer layoff through no fault of their own don't care to hear about our lack of raises. We are doing as much damage as international and we all know it. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't be open about the failures of the union in ways that are important to talk about. Go ahead and bitch about Two tier all day long because that is bullshit. We should all be making the same wage, not because it's a fair days pay for a fair days work but because it's the correct thing to do.

There is no way that we should have let that happen. It's on us not Bob King, because the truth is that if given the opportunity to take away from the future hires or give away something of own own very few members have ever said they would give up to make it fair for the next generation. We were well on our way to two tier with each new contract as they made the full pay progression longer and longer but those contracts had raises so they passed easily. We all saw what was coming and the membership stood by and let it happen. If our leadership is tone deaf it's because they come from our tone deaf membership. You can say that they are out of touch, but they are not. Solid house is made up of us, and they know exactly what we will do and how we think.

UAW bitching about the senator that got involved and wanting a new vote but it's ok for the president of the united states to endorse it!! That's funny

You do know the difference between the two correct? What Corker did could be illegal, it depends on what the NLRB ruling says, but there are plenty of labor law scholars who believe that it is in fact illegal.

Bob King has got to go its one loss after another with King at the helm.The UAW has turned into a "company union" and one can only guess at the corruption going on.King is a little mouse when it comes to sounding "union".I would have countered Bob Corkers biased and ignorant statements by HOLLERING that the company said they don't care if the workers unionize.King could also point out that UAW plants are profitable and that Local 600 Ford DTP will be the first automaker to produce an aluminum body truck thereby increasing performance and gas mileage.I would have HOLLERED with a bull horn right in front of Bob Corkers offices!Who wants a weak company union anyways?All you end up with is a group of elected union officials who cozy with the company!At least VW wont have to go on an AWS!

If what corker did was illegal, and it maybe, then every vote I've been part of for 21 years has been illegal. Don't remember a vote they weren't threatening to close plants or move products if you didn't vote the way the boss(UAW) says!!!! You all know it's the truth if you been with ford any time at all.

If what corker did was illegal, and it maybe, then every vote I've been part of for 21 years has been illegal. Don't remember a vote they weren't threatening to close plants or move products if you didn't vote the way the boss(UAW) says!!!! You all know it's the truth if you been with ford any time at all.

Look, Your not comparing the same type of votes. What Corker did was interfere in an organizing vote, not a contract. If you have been at Ford for 21 years it would behoove you to know the difference types of votes.

Look, Your not comparing the same type of votes. What Corker did was interfere in an organizing vote, not a contract. If you have been at Ford for 21 years it would behoove you to know the difference types of votes.

Once again you are correct with your point that there was two different votes being taken. Also both have different results with different benefits.

But, actually Langston I think the point the sisters and brothers are trying to make is in the similar techniques all politicains use. Both King and Coker used the same fear generating technique (loss of product) to ganter their control to get the results they see as favorable to them. Yes they used this technique at different ponits in time and apply the fear to different votes but the intent was pretty much the same. First thing I thought of was the old saying "the pot calling the kettle black" when Bob started his current run of calling the kettle black.

Politicains one and the same....

Decker

• Like 2

Once again you are correct with your point that there was two different votes being taken. Also both have different results with different benefits.

But, actually Langston I think the point the sisters and brothers are trying to make is in the similar techniques all politicains use. Both King and Coker used the same fear generating technique (loss of product) to ganter their control to get the results they see as favorable to them. Yes they used this technique at different ponits in time and apply the fear to different votes but the intent was pretty much the same. First thing I thought of was the old saying "the pot calling the kettle black" when Bob started his current run of calling the kettle black.

Politicains one and the same....

Decker

I can understand that, but it doesn't make what the unions leaders do illegal. Morally suspect absolutely but not illegal. That's my point, it's not illegal so stop trying to say it is and concentrate on what it actually is.