Buying a new fusion, suggestions?

Serkan Varol

Hi All,

I sold my 2013 Focus Se SFE because of transmission problems and looking for a Fusion S (2.5 liters). I can get a new at $17,350 +ttl

I've heard the car does not decent gas mileage despite the advertised MPG. I drive about 55 miles/day with 70%highway 30%city driving. I was able to get 34-37MPG with my focus.

My second concern is the quality. How reliable is it? Any chronic problems?

Hi All,

I sold my 2013 Focus Se SFE because of transmission problems and looking for a Fusion S (2.5 liters). I can get a new at $17,350 +ttl

I've heard the car does not decent gas mileage despite the advertised MPG. I drive about 55 miles/day with 70%highway 30%city driving. I was able to get 34-37MPG with my focus.

My second concern is the quality. How reliable is it? Any chronic problems?

The standard powertrain of a naturally aspirated 2.5L four cylinder / 6 speed automatic will get you 33-35 MPG on the highway all day long, and it has a decent amount of power to hustle along nicely...I had a 2012 with that powertrain and it was stone cold reliable all day long...never a problem, never a hiccup....try to use non-ethanol blended gas...even E10 blend will damper your MPGs by 2-3 MPG...

Just a heads up:
Some late 14 fusions (after Dec) are having persistent noise issues that permeate throughout the cabin. It's coming from the gas tank and Ford knows about it. Ford is labeling it as a "characteristic" of the vehicle. Ford refuses to do anything about it, which is quite unfortunate for me and others who suffer from this issue.

Also, AC mold/musty smell still plagues the Fusions. No real fix from Ford nor acknowledgement. Just a spray in your vents and call it a day...

In terms of quality? It's kind of a hit or miss I suppose. I've had issues from the start.

1. Took it to the dealership 3 times for NAV issues.

2. Trunk and right rear door misaligned.

3. Bumper bolted on too tight and started causing paint issues.

2k miles and 3 months ownership. Almost 3.6 weeks with Ford and most of those miles are due to driving it to a ford dealership.

If Ford has a fix for the AC mold problem (which is a health concern) and a fix for the gas tank (which is a risk to one's sanity), I'd recommend buying a Fusion. It's gorgeous, the ride is amazing, the cabin is incredible quiet, and the interior is high-end for it's price bracket.

It's just unfortunate that Ford refuses to acknowledge problems with the car and/or label stuff as a characteristic of a vehicle.

Contact Ford customer service. When our Escape was recalled they reimbursed me a lease payment. Ford will do something about it if people who are experiencing it keep mentioning it to them. Maybe enough complaints will issue recalls to fix these issues. What cabin noise are you experiencing? Sorry you're having issues, hopefully they will fix them and others who are having them.

Contact Ford customer service. When our Escape was recalled they reimbursed me a lease payment. Ford will do something about it if people who are experiencing it keep mentioning it to them. Maybe enough complaints will issue recalls to fix these issues. What cabin noise are you experiencing? Sorry you're having issues, hopefully they will fix them and others who are having them.

Ford honestly couldn't care less once you buy the vehicle. I nicely asked about at least some kind of compensation for my problems and I was told "I can't discuss that until the problems have been fixed"... That was about 2 months ago and almost a month of that, my car has been with Ford. Any compensation? Nope. Problems fixed? Nope.

When my gas tank is around 70%-85% full, a sloshing/grinding/gurgling noise permeates throughout the cabin. If the fuel tank is greater than 85%, the noise is incredibly loud. I've taken it to 2 dealerships and both the service mangers and technicians state that it's abnormal and it's NOT a characteristic of the vehicle, regardless of Ford stating otherwise.

Edit: I do want to mention that I've been contacting my regional manager and he was utterly useless. Recently, I've been talking to his supervisor (last 2 weeks). I don't know what else I can do to escalate this and/or get my problems fixed. If someone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Edited by Triple-Tap

Contact Ford service on twitter. If you don't have an account, sign up just to speak with them. Explain the noise issue to them like you did to us and the problem the regional manager is giving you. They will assign you to a customer relations manager. Their job is to resolve your issue. I was given the option of turning the Escape in for the 2.0 liter model or being reimbursed a lease payment. I'm not sure if this will help but have you tried putting fuel cleaner in the tank after you fill up?

Thank you all!

I've made my mind about the fusion, but my sales-guy tries to push me into 1.5L turbo engine. He says it is only $600 more than the SE( 2.5L engine ) that I picked, and will get better gas mileage.

I've been doing some research about the 1.5 L engine, but no real life experience/experiments so far. What do you think about 1.5 L?

I have the 2.5 L and average 29 mpg and that is 95% city driving. We have an Escape that has the EB and we barely average what they claim for the city. Heck my salesman said the 2.5 is just fine and he said that he sells more of Fusions with that engine in it than the Ecoboost engine. Test drive both and see which one you like better. The 2012 fusion 2.5L was bad but they seemed to improve it greatly in the new model.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20140524_190349_zpsaunqksj8.jpg

Here is the picture. The production date is 5/14. It only had 1.9 miles when i got it. I paid 18,045 + ttl

Damn. Amazing how cheap they are getting.

I paid $16,100 for my Fusion fully loaded with 28k miles on it..

Damn. Amazing how cheap they are getting.

I paid $16,100 for my Fusion fully loaded with 28k miles on it..

When did you buy it? and what is the year of your car?

This price is an exception, I don't think you will ever find a new fusion SE for 18k. Used ones are still about 20k

When did you buy it? and what is the year of your car?

This price is an exception, I don't think you will ever find a new fusion SE for 18k. Used ones are still about 20k

My 2012 was only 8 months old when I got it last may, so it’s now 20 months old.

Edited by BVC

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the picture. The production date is 5/14. It only had 1.9 miles when i got it. I paid 18,045 + ttl

Good deal. Mine was $20,000 and I bought it at the end of March. I looked at used ones and they just cost way too much with an extra 10k or so miles. I felt some pretty bad buyer's remorse about going with the 2.5L engine (next up would have cost $1000) with all the articles and comments saying the newer engines are "better in every way" but when it comes down to it the specs aren't that different, the MPG gains are tiny, and I figure having an older and more common engine comes with benefits on repairs and reliability.

Edited by Fallom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...