Speaking of Weight

I just disagree with the notion that people will not pay for quality high price car if it was built by Ford or Lincoln.

As noted above, Lincoln was priced higher than RR not so long ago.

Ford had the higher price Thunderbird as a "Personal Lux Tour Car" and it sold very well.

Ford also had the high price GT40.

No matter who makes the car.. if it is an excellent product.... people will buy it.

Just ask KIA and Hyundai . .lol

IMHO, bring in a high price car will help Ford and Lincoln...not hurt them.

I believe that Ford lost money on every Continental Mark II built, even with the then-astronomical price. Sales also weren't that hot. They started out strong, but everyone who really wanted one bought it immediately, and then sales languished. Ford pulled the plug on the car after two model years, which I doubt would have happened if people were lined up at the dealership door to buy one.

It is difficult for me to understand how "other" car companies can make money on low volume, high price cars, but Ford can not.

Depending on the company, they may not be. As akirby said, it's a matter of priorities; now that the ship is righted and back on course, Ford might be able to do these sorts of niche products as well. Then again, if they're really production capacity constrained (which is a good problem to have, IMHO), where are they going to build these niche products?

This Ford MoCo market dilemma might be an interesting model to study.

Ford in general over the last eight years would be an interesting subject to study, I think.

• Like 1

It is difficult for me to understand how "other" car companies can make money on low volume, high price cars, but Ford can not.

It is difficult for me to understand why you keep asking the same question over and over. Nobody is saying it can't be done for profit. The question is how much and how much investment is required.

These "other companies" like Jaguar - do they have a single vehicle selling 600K /year? Do they have profitable commercial trucks and vans to support? Do they have lower cost higher volume mainstream vehicles to support?

It's all about priorities. What is a priority for one mfr may not be for another. Do you think Jaguar should make a new full sized van a priority? I'm sure they could manage 50K in worldwide sales. So why aren't they doing it?

Well, if those low volume, high price cars are going to wear a Ford oval, there might just be a marketing problem. IMHO, low volume, high price cars belong in the Lincoln show-rooms — and they're not ready, yet. Maybe in five years, especially if Ford's new metal bending technology works out. :)

And remember, not so long ago.....

The 1956 Lincoln Continental was the most expensive car on the market that year. It cost more than a new Rolls Royce and double than a Cadillac

Not so long ago..? you're talking over 50 years ago.. that's almost half the lifetime of the auto industry itself. I agree with what someone else said, Lincoln was in a much different place image-wise back then. Not that they never should try, but one step at a time...

• Like 1

First, we haven't established how profitable any of those low volume, high price cars really are.

Second, as someone else pointed out, it's all about priorities. A low volume, high priced car is low on that list for Ford, as it should be.