Google's Brin: Individual car ownership needs to go

mettech

as a cosmetic upgrade on the status quo, promoted as revolutionary, but likely changing little

Hey, didn't I just say that? ;)

I forgot that other problem I have with 'late tech': That even though the product only solves imaginary problems, it is still sold as a revolutionary change.

Like Google Glass.

Shakespeare didn't have Google Glass. Picasso didn't have Google Glass. Einstein didn't have Google Glass--or an iPhone, or an iPad. Google Glass doesn't give you any greater insight into anything. It doesn't make you more productive, it doesn't make you smarter. It just makes you look like a distracted idiot with an inflated sense of self-importance.

And that's relevant, because the same guy who thinks that driverless cars will solve problems thinks that Google Glass will solve problems.

Pluses and minuses.

There's more in the minus column, imo.

The way I look at it, if a bunch of rich idiots want to be rich idiots, then fine. Great. Good luck trying to keep them from being anything but.

Just don't cram this down my throat with a bunch of hype about how you're 'disrupting' this and 'solving' that.

And yes, I'm looking at you, Elon Musk.

Edited by RichardJensen

Elon Musk is a very smart guy, but probably not in the way most people think. He just gave away hundreds of millions of dollars of shareholder assets (intelecual property) and got praised for it. He basically took the poison pill, and convinced the rest of the world it was vitamins. If you look at Kodak and other bankruptcies you can see that the only real value the creditors had left was the catalog of patents. Elon already monetized the patents when Tesla went public. They had no additional value to him, but he made sure they wouldn't have value to any one else.

Elon is also building a mega-battery factory that will be capable of producing millions of batteries. Any company that uses his “free patents” for their electric vehicles will probably end up buying batteries built in Elon’s new factory. That works out pretty well for him, wouldn’t you say?

Musk needs to transition from building Tesla cars to supplying the battery charging technology needed to sustain the industry,

opening up patents that have already been used to increase stock purchases in the company is his way of getting the

necessary double pump of credibility to get him into the next big thing before Tesla stock eventually tanks.