GM Announces Fuel Economy for Canyonado twins

fordmantpw

Those hoping for great fuel economy from the new Canyonado should be disappointed. It's only 1 MPG more than the Ram V6, and, I would suspect, less than the upcoming F150.

The two GM-owned brands announced that the twins' 3.6-liter V6 will return up to 26 miles per gallon on the freeway.

To get such efficiency from the 305-horsepower mill, you'll need to live without four-wheel drive and be okay with a max city fuel economy of 18 mpg. The combined rating for the 2WD model sits at 21 mpg. Adding four-wheel drive drops the city and combined ratings by one mpg, while the highway rating dips from 26 to 24 mpg.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/03/chevy-colorado-configurator-fuel-economy/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Those hoping for great fuel economy from the new Canyonado should be disappointed. It's only 1 MPG more than the Ram V6, and, I would suspect, less than the upcoming F150.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/03/chevy-colorado-configurator-fuel-economy/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

So....let me get this straight....

It's supposed to be a fuel efficient alternative to a full size truck that barely eeks out a gain over full size competition, leaving its selling point as what....size?

When it's only 7 inches shorter, and 6 inches narrower than a new F-150? (I compared crew cab models).

Talk about internal competition.

The only way to get better fuel economy is to make them significantly smaller and lighter and use a much smaller engine. Even then it's still a brick. But that's not what people want to buy.

Get ready for the "but they just didn't do it right. If they had done this and that and this and that they'd get 10 mpg better and sell millions!"

So....let me get this straight....

It's supposed to be a fuel efficient alternative to a full size truck that barely eeks out a gain over full size competition, leaving its selling point as what....size?

When it's only 7 inches shorter, and 6 inches narrower than a new F-150? (I compared crew cab models).

Talk about internal competition.

Typical GM.

Not sure what you were looking at... Colorado is 212.7 inches long for short bed Crew Cab and 225.0 inches long bed version. Compare that to 230.03 inches for the Silverado 1500 short bed Crew Cab which stretches to 239.57 inches for the long bed version. And the equivalent F-150 is 231.9 inches and 243.9 inches for the long and short bed respectively. Which means you can get a Colorado almost 2 1/2 feet shorter than a F-150. And for some perspective on 6 inches of width means... That is the same width difference between a Focus and a Taurus, which is quite noticeable (even with the Taurus's bad usage of space).

As such for as questionable the midsized pickup truck strategy and buissness case is we need to stop saying they are the same size. On average one of these midsized to fullsized truck size difference is about the same difference as the Focus to the Taurus. Numbers don't lie...

Not sure what you were looking at... Colorado is 212.7 inches long for short bed Crew Cab and 225.0 inches long bed version. Compare that to 230.03 inches for the Silverado 1500 short bed Crew Cab which stretches to 239.57 inches for the long bed version. And the equivalent F-150 is 231.9 inches and 243.9 inches for the long and short bed respectively. Which means you can get a Colorado almost 2 1/2 feet shorter than a F-150. And for some perspective on 6 inches of width means... That is the same width difference between a Focus and a Taurus, which is quite noticeable (even with the Taurus's bad usage of space).

As such for as questionable the midsized pickup truck strategy and buissness case is we need to stop saying they are the same size. On average one of these midsized to fullsized truck size difference is about the same difference as the Focus to the Taurus. Numbers don't lie...

Yeah, 231.9 - 225.0 is 6.9 inches.

Once again I'm not claiming midsized trucks are going to take over, GM is going to make bank, or that Ford made a mistake... Just that the size difference argument smells bad.

Just saying the whole 10% excuse from Ford was a marketing smoke screen that fails a certain bit of logic. One should be able to apply that to other areas of the market if it is a logical argument. But cars seems to say 10% seems about the right difference as one jumps up size classes.... Don't believe me, look at the numbers yourself. Fusion footprint is 192 x 73 for 14016 sqin, while the Focus is 179 x 72 = 12888 sqin which makes the Focus 8% smaller. I don't see anyone claiming the Focus is too close in size or looks the same as a Fusion. And the Explorer is only 5% smaller than an Expedition. All that this is saying is that the claims of the midsized trucks being too close in size to a fullsized fails if I try to apply it to other areas of the market. Maybe I'm not smart enough to realize the pickup truck market doesn't work like the rest of the market.

Edited by Kris Kolman

When you go from a Fusion to a Focus there is a significant fuel economy increase. Going from a Silvererra to a Canyorado - not so much.

You're also talking about a different market segment with cars in the teens to twenties whereas trucks are in the 20's to 60's.

Like RJ said - the market has already spoken.

Full-sized truck sales - ~2M annually

Mid-sized truck sales - ~250K annually