Corvette Valet Mode illegal audio recorder

akirby

How the hell did this get past the attorneys?

MASTER THE MACHINE: PERFORMANCE DATA RECORDER
Capture the excitement

Record, share and analyze your driving experiences on and off the track with the available industry-exclusive Performance Data Recorder. Add an extra dimension to your drive by logging video of your drives, along with real-time performance data, onto an SD memory card stored in the glove box. Four modes — Track, Performance, Sport and Touring — allow you to capture video, audio, driving stats, date and time, and a lot more. You can even capture video and data when someone else is driving the car with Valet Mode, giving you extra peace of mind.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/26/corvette-performance-data-recorder-illegal-some-states/

According to a letter posted by Jalopnik, Chevy dealers are asking 2015 Corvette owners not to use the Valet Mode portion of the PDR because it records audio in the cabin, in addition to performance specs. That's a problem because privacy laws vary from state to state with some requiring just one side's consent to tape sound and others requiring all parties to agree. According Jalopnik, 15 states mandate everyone's permission beforehand, but it's not clear whether these numbers are up to date. (Actually, the report varies, saying 13 states in some places and 15 in a list.)

BUT I agree, how did they miss this?

I can think of one scenario where they developed the audio recording as part of the video recording package for track days and Valet mode did not originally include audio recording. Then some engineer realized it was just a couple lines of code to activate the audio recording in valet mode and it was late in the program and legal was not consulted on the change.

I'd have to think that video recording requires consent as well.....

And a disclaimer allowing recording as a condition of operating the vehicle could conceivably be ruled unconscionable in a contract of adhesion*, and even if that weren't the case, there's probably a hundred or more lawyers that would love to take the case on.

*a 'contract of adhesion' is a contract which may not be modified by the party to whom it is offered. The most familiar form today is the "Terms and Conditions" contract in software and on websites, but the earliest instances were, among other things, life insurance policies and promissory notes. Unconscionable provisions are provisions which a 'reasonable person' would consider to be 'grossly unfair'. Requiring passengers to sacrifice an expected right to privacy in order to ride in a vehicle seems to be a textbook instance of a 'grossly unfair' provision.

Unconscionable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscionability http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/contracts-unconscionability/

Personally, I think it's BS that I can't record the audio of someone driving MY car, whether they like it or not! When you step in MY car, you play by MY rules. Same goes if you step in MY house. But hey, that's just me.

You can - you just have to notify them ahead of time.

I'd have to think that video recording requires consent as well.....

And a disclaimer allowing recording as a condition of operating the vehicle could conceivably be ruled unconscionable in a contract of adhesion*, and even if that weren't the case, there's probably a hundred or more lawyers that would love to take the case on.

The video is recording outside the car so that wouldn't violate any personal privacy laws (I don't think).

Also - someone in the vehicle has to activate the recording which implies that at least one person being recorded is aware of the recording and I think that satisfies the legal requirement.

When you do the recording automatically without anyone in the car doing anything - that's effectively the same as a wiretap.

I do agree that you should be able to record anything that happens in your home or vehicle - period. Wait - what about nanny cams? How are those legal? Or is your house different?