Turn signal self-cancelling sensitivity

MountainLion

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the sensitivity of the turn signals that return to the center to self cancel? The reason I ask is that I was almost in an accident because of it today. I turned right with my signal on, and it was not a 90 degree turn, more like 50 degrees, but one that should cancel the signals. The signal did not cancel (which I did not notice) and the car in front of me turned right, and someone pulled out right in front of me. I laid on the horn and managed to stop in time, but as she went past she pointed to the right. And that is when I noticed my right signal was still on. Of course I felt like an absolute jerk. Is increasing the self-cancelling possible? Or do I have to just use the tap-to-three-blink more?

agree with kirby. a turn signal just means you intend to turn, not necessarily a guarantee that it will happen in a certain amount of time. if that were true, i bet a bunch of people would be getting tickets for leaving their signals on and going straight for miles on end.

I can't speak for the Fusion, but I've had the opposite problem on my new Escape. I signal to move over to a right turn lane. Just the short lane change over will cancel my turn signals and I need to start signaling right again for the actual turn.

Being a motorcycle rider that has to cancel his own turns, I guess I've just become accustomed to always being conscious of what my turn signal status is.

Thanks for the knowledge about signaling and intent. I never usually signal at that intersection because it is a dedicated lane with a yield sign - but I had someone riding my butt. And thanks for letting me know it is not adjustable - I've gotten annoyed more than a few times with it not cancelling when I thought it should have - and then fighting with it, but not with a full on brakes-to-the-floor panic stop. I'll probably just avoid that area on my commute home. It is a poorly-designed intersection anyway.

I can't speak for the Fusion, but I've had the opposite problem on my new Escape. I signal to move over to a right turn lane. Just the short lane change over will cancel my turn signals and I need to start signaling right again for the actual turn.

Being a motorcycle rider that has to cancel his own turns, I guess I've just become accustomed to always being conscious of what my turn signal status is.

Not sure about the escape but in the fusion has 2 signal modes momentary (3 flashes) and constant. Pushing up or down accordingly past the 1st resistance point sets it to constant.