2015 F-150 Marketing Kick Off

Bob Rosadini

Am I the only one who gets turned off by all the glitzy crew cabs we see posing as work trucks? Granted glitz sells but does it ever occur to the marketing types that there are people who really buy their trucks for work?

Might be a nice change of pace to every now and then see some footage of a real work truck-something other than a decked out Super Cab or Crew Cab with plain steel wheels (but max tire size option) say with a 100 gal diesel tank in the back and the guy is shown fueling a loader-backhoe? Hell I'll bet you could even find an old Ford 555 backhoe to use as a prop as the recepient of the fuel!

And please-no more shots of excavators dropping what appears to be a full bucket of dirt into the back of a Lariat Crew Cab. It doesn't happen in the real world unless booze or drugs are involved!

Dare to be different Ford. Show some real trucks doing real work. Granted some glitz is needed but realism might just send a message too IMO

• Like 1

Well I guess the Dodge/Fiat/Ram/Mopar boys so my post. Saw two Ram ads tonite-both featured a regular cab one ton- plain jane in black and doing meaningful work- I think one was towing a loader back hoe and the other a tank of some sort. No glitz and the guys were dressed like real people-not urban cowboys!

I doubt that people who buy functional work trucks like that are swayed at all by advertising. They'll buy based on price, capabilities and brand loyalty.

Disagree. Perception, perception, perception. How many yuppies do you see walking around wearing Carhartt vests? Or Barn coats? Plenty. Are they ever dirty? Usually not because they don't do any physical work in them. Its an image thing. (Now my Carhartts on the other hand? Ugh-plenty of permanent stains stitched up tears, frayed cuffs and they have been washed so many times they are closer to white than brown! :) ) . Now if these Carhartt buyers have no need for a rugged work garment, but want to be perceived as ..the "rugged outdoor guy (or girl?)", think they might want to be driving a "Nancy" truck or one that the "real guys" drive?

As for the true work truck customer, I don't doubt your points with respect to "P, C,and BL"-in particular BL, but trust me the image you create applies across the board. Let's say you are a corporate purchasing manager/fleet administrator. Not all are well versed in what they do and not all buy necessarily what the end user wants. I know from experience. While my 44 corporate years around trucks and heavy equipment are behind me, in my retirement I have plenty of time to "hang" at a few heavy truck/equipment shops. And I would say Dodge is doing a good job in creating a positive image as a real work truck. And if yo don't believe it, check out the class 4, 5 sales stats.

I'm not saying abandon the glitz ads, I'm just saying how about a little realism every now and then.

As always, another opinion.

How would showing a white regular cab long bed work truck with steel wheels create a better "image" than what they're currently showing?

If you want image then that's supercrews, KR, Lariats and Platinums. If you want a real work truck it's all about power, towing and payload (and price).

How would showing a white regular cab long bed work truck with steel wheels create a better "image" than what they're currently showing?

If you want image then that's supercrews, KR, Lariats and Platinums. If you want a real work truck it's all about power, towing and payload (and price).

Can't ad anything more to what I've said- in summary it is a pitch directed at those who truly use the truck to accomplish specific work and have the mindset.."I don't need/want all that fancy shit- I want value and capability" . It is a pitch to another segment other than the poser who has to have the chrome.

Get it? Not everyone looks at things the same way.

Can't ad anything more to what I've said- in summary it is a pitch directed at those who truly use the truck to accomplish specific work and have the mindset.."I don't need/want all that fancy shit- I want value and capability" . It is a pitch to another segment other than the poser who has to have the chrome.

Get it? Not everyone looks at things the same way.

I understand, but don't you think those folks are researching payload numbers and tow ratings, etc. rather than being swayed by television commercials?

I understand, but don't you think those folks are researching payload numbers and tow ratings, etc. rather than being swayed by television commercials?

No argument. I'm simply saying ..show something else! Appeal to another segment-like me :rant: who says.".What bullshit! Many of the shots have no credibility when you see a good sized excavator bucket dropping a load of dirt into a Platinum truck bed (Mad Hatter says its sifted topsoil!) I say its a photoshop job. and every truck being driven like there is a teenager at the wheel around a construction site is a turn off to me.

I must be a minority, and an old one at that. . Although listen to the Ram ads- seems like they are keying on this all of a sudden...."No cowboy hats, etc etc.

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Not so fast- I withdraw my offer.

Just saw the Dodge/Fiat/Mopar/Ram/Sergio ad again. Very professional looking (Older!) guy, hard hat safety vest etc is walking down the stairs carrying a rolled up print. the deep voice says...."no hay bales, no cowboy hats just more towing power than Ford F-350 or some such phrase. Truck is a black one ton dually, no glitz and its hooked to a trailer pulling a loader back hoe- believe it was a Case-third time Iv'e seen this add in two days so sooner or later I'll get it down.

Which do you think sells more and at a higher profit? A one ton dually base level Dodge or a Platinum F150?

No doiubt the loaded 150. Would be nice to also sell to ALL segments of the business, If Ford only wanted to sell high end toys, think of the money they could save by purging the product slate of all true plain Jane work work specs-to follow your logic.

No doiubt the loaded 150. Would be nice to also sell to ALL segments of the business, If Ford only wanted to sell high end toys, think of the money they could save by purging the product slate of all true plain Jane work work specs-to follow your logic.

It's simply a matter of maximizing advertising dollars and getting more bang for your buck. Ram can't really compete in the Lariat/Platinum arena with F150 so they're going after a different demographic where they do compete well.

Meanwhile GM just advertises huge discounts and sub-prime financing.

If Ford only wanted to sell high end toys, think of the money they could save by purging the product slate of all true plain Jane work work specs-to follow your logic.

That's not my point at all. Ford will sell plenty of plain Jane work spec trucks with or without advertising. The question is simply how many more would they sell with targeted advertising and is the incremental volume worth the advertising costs. There is a limit to how much you spend on advertising with any product so you have to pick and choose. Doesn't mean you're not selling other models.

.."no hay bales, no cowboy hats just more towing power than Ford F-350 or some such phrase. Truck is a black one ton dually, no glitz and its hooked to a trailer pulling a loader back hoe- believe it was a Case-third time Iv'e seen this add in two days so sooner or later I'll get it down.

They have to say F350. Dodge doesn't have a F450 equivalent. The F450 is same frame, different axle from the 350. But after all of Dodge's whining about the Ford not doing SAE testing, Ford did it on they max tow machine the F450 and blew Dodge out of the water. And the F450 DOES compare to the Dodge 3500, except the Dodge can't tow as much according to SAE.

They have to say F350. Dodge doesn't have a F450 equivalent. The F450 is same frame, different axle from the 350. But after all of Dodge's whining about the Ford not doing SAE testing, Ford did it on they max tow machine the F450 and blew Dodge out of the water. And the F450 DOES compare to the Dodge 3500, except the Dodge can't tow as much according to SAE.

I know that-did not want to confuse the issue. BUT check the box is the 450 a "One ton"? NO. I guess next question, what is MSRP of a "one ton" DRW Dodge and what is MSRP of a Ford with comparable capability???

I can honestly say that I don't give a HOOT what truck is used for advertising... Its just that - advertising... I buy what I buy because it is what I like and want.. After sitting down watching the TV and seeing e a commercial that contains a stripped down f-series .. I do not say to myself that I NEED THAT particular brand or model because it looks like a work truck.. And I am not so sure who does that >?>To me, its mostly all about the economics... who can afford what...

• 1 month later...