Ditched my 2013 MKX for a 2015 Explorer

I hope some folks from Ford read this.... I have been buying Ford, Mercury and Lincoln since 1988, every 2 years a new one. Overall, I liked each car, and remained very loyal to the brand because of that, But my experience with the 2013 MKX has been not so good; it did not deliver on its luxury brand status. I did like the inside; the finishing is superb. On the outside it looked fine, but the ride quality is comparable with an 80's sports car at its best; I guess its standard 20" polished wheels reached the engineering limits of Ford (?); every small bump and crack in the road is felt in this Lincoln; the ride is extremely unrefined to the extend that it rattles from all conceivable areas in the car; its rough; no matter what speeds you drive. It took so much frustration on my wife an myself that the last 2 years we have been looking for solutions (the dealer could not do anything), we decided to change the tires to see if it got any better (1000$).... it did not. Is that supposed to be Lincoln? I like cars that have very smooth drive characteristics, and that is why we bought Lincoln... we did not take a test drive, our mistake. Is Lincoln now a car that we have to compare with a cart? If I want exceptional handling and cart like performance I buy a Lotus. You got the balance in this car very very wrong, and deceived a customer!!!! From an engineering perspective you could also have done much better; Cars with a 20" wheels can drive very refined.. My other BMW 530i with 20" wheels, is extremely refined, delivers superb handling... and is supper smooth. Why can Lincoln not build an MKX with 20" wheels that at least feel smooth on the road? Forget the handling!

What was Ford thinking? Just what are Lincolns are about?

I have now bough for my wife a 2015 Explorer limited with every conceivable option available (58kusd in Dubai) and have very high expectations as this would be the deciding car if we go further with Ford or not. I love the looks, and features, The test drive was OK too. I do not want to wait for the 2016 model as my principle is never to buy a new car in its first 2 years after release....

Wish me luck, and I hope Ford/Lincoln takes note!

Edited by edino

I have an MKX as well and my biggest frustration is when I slam the gas and change lanes its like trying to control the Queen Mary from hitting the curb. I look more like a drunk driver trying to control the torque-steer and keep within the lane I'm over taking. To me, that is NOT luxury at all. I end up driving the LS moreso only because I don't have to "think" how to maneuver that vehicle on similar circumstances.

As for smoothness, eh I take brick paved roads on a daily basis and yes you do feel a ripple and I appreciate "feeling" on my steering wheel, and the noise is decently hushed but still audible. Felt similar to what an F150 Platinum I've driven. Whereas the F150 Slammed against the indulations on the bricks, the MKX just wallops along. Even drove it on a rural poverty unpaved road and it nicely dealt with some deep canyons that other crossovers would have had issues without, with some decent grace without bottoming out.

Having worked in Dubai myself, I know the roads there are extremely smooth, so its hard for me to imagine you have a problem with

the MKX ride ! I too have a 2011 - MKX, with 20 inch wheels - NO PROBLEM ! Never had any problems with the vehicle and after many

years of great quality service, I have ordered a 2016 MKX Reserve -

Even off road on the Sand Dunes, you should be happy ! (watch out for the Camel herds along the roads as you get near the desert !)