FORD S-MAX AWARDED TOP EURO NCAP SAFETY RATING

FRD2006082527693_PV.jpg

BRENTWOOD, Essex, 25 August, 2006 -- Ford's new sporty S-MAX has achieved a class-leading five star rating under the Euro NCAP crash test protocol.

Together with Focus, Ford now offers two vehicles that achieved a maximum rating in Euro NCAP. With two stars and 13 points, Ford S-MAX also achieved a competitive result for pedestrian protection.

"Through our comprehensive safety approach we are continually improving the active and passive safety of our vehicles," said Gisbert Gaeb, manager vehicle safety, Ford of Europe. "With the new S-MAX, we have further enhanced our Intelligent Protection System (IPS) by introducing a driver's knee airbag in combination with a sophisticated collapsible steering column and an ultra stiff body structure. This five-star performance in the Euro NCAP tests clearly underlines our no-compromise strategy to safety."

Ford's Intelligent Protection System (IPS) is a holistic approach towards safety. It combines a body structure optimised for strength and crashworthiness with state-of-the-art restraint equipment, driver aids that help avoid an accident and features that lessen the likelihood of injuries in an impact.

Ford S-MAX safety systems include the latest-technology front air bags and a new driver's knee air bag as well as side-mounted thorax air bags for the front seats plus first- and second-row window curtain air bags. S-MAX also features a three-anchor ISOFIX system for the outer seats of the second row and Ford dealers offer special seats for children of all sizes and ages, which in combination with the ISOFIX system helped secure a four-star child protection rating.

An advanced neck injury protection system is standard on the all-new Ford S-MAX. Together with three-point seat belts, optimised pre-tensioners and load limiters, anti-submarining seat subframes, a collapsible steering system and safety pedals, this adds up to a highly comprehensive set of passive safety features.

In terms of active safety, a number of significant new technologies are targeted at providing new levels of control and accident avoidance for S-MAX. In addition to standard Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and an optional enhanced Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) system.

Ford also offers a host of new driver technologies that significantly help improve safety. All-new driver support systems, such as Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Forward Alert (FA), Collision Mitigation by Braking (CMbB) and a new active suspension system - with continuously controlled damping – are all available on the Ford S-MAX.

The new Ford S-MAX was fully developed in-house at Ford and is built exclusively at Ford's Genk plant in Belgium. Production of the S-MAX, together with the new Ford Galaxy, began in April 2006.

Three months after the S-MAX went on sale in Europe, Ford has delivered nearly 9,000 of the all-new people movers – and received more than 30,000 orders. Over half of those buying an S-MAX are new to the Ford Blue Oval, according to market research.

"We are delighted with the response to the new Ford S-MAX from customers and the media," said Joe Bakaj, vice president, product development, Ford of Europe. "We are also very proud of the vehicle's safety performance and the class-leading Euro NCAP ratings. It shows that we are fully committed to continually improve the safety of our cars."

Ford S-MAX Euro NCAP results:

Test Ratings

S-MAX (left hand drive)

Adult occupant protection

5 stars

- Front impact

16 points

- Side impact

16 points

- Pole impact

2 points

- Belt reminder

2 points

- Total

36 points (best in class)

Child occupant protection

4 stars

Pedestrian protection

2 stars

Three months after the S-MAX went on sale in Europe, Ford has delivered nearly 9,000 of the all-new people movers – and received more than 30,000 orders. Over half of those buying an S-MAX are new to the Ford Blue Oval, according to market research.

Hmm...I seem to know of a company that could use an all-new, great-selling, customer-conquesting new car...who could it be?

So, when do we get the S-Max? I have a hard time believing the S-Max with all that room, the great safety ratings, the attractive packaging, and today's gas prices wouldn't sell well.

11566947452.jpg18566317323.jpg

The EUCD chassis is "Americanized," see the S80, the 2.5L Volvo engine is already American ready, see V70, and different components could be "cheapened" as needed for America. Say, switch out the Volvo engine for the 2.3L MZR & Fusion 5-speed Auto. Loose the fancy driver adjustable suspension. Perhaps the 3.0/3.5L Duratec would fit?

Let's see...GBP16,995 converts to $32,080. Subtract the VAT and we're at $26,896. I figure about $3-4,000 dollars in extra cost for the UK market, because, well, things just cost more on the island. Would the S-Max move with a price range of $23-30,000? I think so.

And we all know Ford has the production capacity here in the US. I'd like to see it happen.

And if nothing else, it sure beats a Freestar.

Scott

Fairlane will be a better fit (both for production and for the market) and about as safe/economical.

I agree, for volume. But with this rush to "niche" everything (xB, PT Cruiser, FJ Cruiser, H3, XTerra, Pacifica, etc.) the one "most obvious" area yet to be untapped is microvans/people carriers/people movers. Mazda is having moderate success with the Mazda5. Especially since the vast majority of people have no idea what it is.

The difference between Mazda & Ford would make a huge difference for the launch of the S-Max. Car magazines would actually road test the S-Max, advertising would be more (as in "more than zero"), and the dealer body of Ford vs. Mazda alone gives the car TONS more exposure. If the S-Max could be "tuned" to meet 30 mpg on the highway I think Ford would have a hit. The MZR isn't exactly a fuel sipper, but I think 30 mpg is doable with a tall overdrive for highway cruising.

FordSMax_1_560px.jpg

And S-Max sales would probably come out of the midsize sedan market. Since Ford can't produce enough CD3s that would mean a large number of people who would otherwise buy Camrys & Accords. And it would probably be buyers with young families. Gotta love that demographic.

FordSMax_5_560px.jpg

Igor & 2b2 - I've thought to make Mercury a truly "urban upscale" brand they should bring over the Focus lineup and the Galaxy/S-Max from Europe. Limited quantities, of course. I think that these models would work perfectly for the brand image Mercury is trying to achieve. Especially if they brought that Focus Vignale/Coupe-Cabriolet over. It would give Mercury a "magnet" car for the dealers. The problem, I see, is that the Milan is just too cheap. It'd probably be cheaper than a similarly equipped C1 EuroFocus. And anyway, like 156n3rd said, we don't get any good stuff!

Scott

Edited to add the eye candy, courtesty of Car Magazine at http://www.carmagazine.co.uk

Edited by waymondospiff

I still think, though, that it would make an awesome fit for Mercury ... but that might be just me.

Igor

I think you are right ford needs to make mercury use some of the cars from europe . To start with the focus c max,s max then make an xl galaxy then next year the would be the b max .

I see mazda 5's all over the place....the Smax would sell just fine

Mazda5 = C-Max, a car that Ford should gussy up in nice American duds and sell here, IMO.

Still don't think Ford should bring the S-Max/Galaxy over here. Exchange rate is prohibitive for imports, and it makes no sense to introduce a third midsize/fullsize architecture here.

...Igor & 2b2 - I've thought to make Mercury a truly "urban upscale" brand they should bring over the Focus lineup and the Galaxy/S-Max from Europe. Limited quantities, of course. I think that these models would work perfectly for the brand image Mercury is trying to achieve. Especially if they brought that Focus Vignale/Coupe-Cabriolet over. It would give Mercury a "magnet" car for the dealers. The problem, I see, is that the Milan is just too cheap. It'd probably be cheaper than a similarly equipped C1 EuroFocus. And anyway, like 156n3rd said, we don't get any good stuff!

Scott

I agree completely but more pragmatically, I'll be glad when C2 is made on this side of the Pond...

My 3 'monospaces' (euro-speak for people-mover) are tall smallest sub-Milan model, a bit more car-like for the Milan-based one (the chop above) and close to a stationwagon-moderne for the Montego-Max (quickie chop attached below).

MontegoMax.jpg

edited cuz attachment wasn't co-operating.

post-15078-1156664738_thumb.jpg

post-15078-1156664946_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2b2

I think you are right ford needs to make mercury use some of the cars from europe . To start with the focus c max,s max then make an xl galaxy then next year the would be the b max .

What I didn't get to finish saying in the above post due to puter-weirdness...

Take the ideas from Europe, but build 'em here.

and

When C2 arrives, I expect the prices of Milan(et al) will find a way of moving up a bit - get' em while you can ;)

Mazda5 = C-Max, a car that Ford should gussy up in nice American duds and sell here, IMO.

Still don't think Ford should bring the S-Max/Galaxy over here. Exchange rate is prohibitive for imports, and it makes no sense to introduce a third midsize/fullsize architecture here.

3005825129.jpg

1166501333.jpg

Thank you Yahoo! for the pictures.

I'm not so sure the C-Max is all that great, as is. The largest gas engine is the 1.8L MZR, I don't know if a larger 2.0 or 2.3 may fit. But the C-Max isn't really all that big. 5-passenger only, no 3rd seat. The capacities are largely the same as the currect C170 Focus Wagon. If you're going to bring an all-new, new-category vehicle, to America, you'll probably want size on your side. Here's a "table":

C-Max height 61.3" length 170.6" width 71.9" max.cargo 1692L

S-Max height 65.3" length 187.7" width 74.2" max.cargo 2000L

Focus height 57.5" length 178.4" width 66.7" max.cargo 1580L

Mazda5 height 64.2" length 181.5" width 69.1" max.cargo 857L

The cargo room for the Mazda5 is wrong, but otherwise the chart speaks for itself. The S-Max is better to slot more as a useful family wagon here in the US. In my opinion, of course. And, EUCD S-Max vs. C1 C-Max wouldn't make a difference to produce here in the US as neither is currently made here in the US and both would be new & different.

But, Richard, I think you're right in predicting the future...I think it was rumored during this "crisis" that an MPV-style vehicle is scheduled for America based off of the C2 chassis around 2010.

And anyway, the S-Max looks neat. The C-Max looks, umm, plain?

Scott

I'm not so sure the C-Max is all that great, as is. The largest gas engine is the 1.8L MZR, I don't know if a larger 2.0 or 2.3 may fit. But the C-Max isn't really all that big. 5-passenger only, no 3rd seat. The capacities are largely the same as the currect C170 Focus Wagon. If you're going to bring an all-new, new-category vehicle, to America, you'll probably want size on your side. Here's a "table":

The cargo room for the Mazda5 is wrong, but otherwise the chart speaks for itself. The S-Max is better to slot more as a useful family wagon here in the US. In my opinion, of course. And, EUCD S-Max vs. C1 C-Max wouldn't make a difference to produce here in the US as neither is currently made here in the US and both would be new & different.

But, Richard, I think you're right in predicting the future...I think it was rumored during this "crisis" that an MPV-style vehicle is scheduled for America based off of the C2 chassis around 2010.

Scott

Both C-Max and Mazda5 are built on C1, the US is getting C2, and so when Ford establishes C2 production here, a Mazda5 sized (between C-Max and S-Max) C2 based "people mover" makes some sense to me. It would provide an interesting set-off to the Escape, being more 'family friendly' with sliding doors and all that. It, unlike the S-Max would have the advantage of sharing its architecture with the Mazda3 and Focus, both of which should be under production in the U.S. by that time....

It goes without saying that the C-Max would need to be restyled.

I welcome the S-Max here... actually, I welcome any vehicle period...Ford needs good products NOW. Unfortunately it's a hard business case to justify S-Max. My bestfriend just purchased a Mazda5 which she's totally happy with, other than, she would prefer more power at least.

Luckily this will be justified when the 2.3L is increased to 2.5L with at least 175HP, that'll give it some pep without much weight penalty.

that will be here when???

and the S-max will be more economical too.

Well using a FWD Freestyle as the base line for the Fairlane and the Mazda5 as a equivalent to the S-Max...the difference in MPG is only 1-2 MPG...not as earth shattering as you make it out to be.

Both C-Max and Mazda5 are built on C1, the US is getting C2, and so when Ford establishes C2 production here, a Mazda5 sized (between C-Max and S-Max) C2 based "people mover" makes some sense to me. It would provide an interesting set-off to the Escape, being more 'family friendly' with sliding doors and all that. It, unlike the S-Max would have the advantage of sharing its architecture with the Mazda3 and Focus, both of which should be under production in the U.S. by that time....

It goes without saying that the C-Max would need to be restyled.

richard, the EUCD is based on C1, EUcd and C1 can be produced on the Same line with ease. the question is when we replace CD3 with a C2+ archtechture.

3005825129.jpg

1166501333.jpg

Scott

the 2.0 and 2.3 will fit.