Tire Size Swap

TCDAvid

My 2014 Ford Edge has 245/60/18 tires. Would it be safe to put 225/60/18 snow tires on it? Would this change the handling in any significant manner? I do realize this would effect the speedo a bit.

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

245/60-18 ...... 5.8in ... 14.8in ... 29.6in ....... 92.9in ........ 682 ......... 0.0%

225/60-18 ...... 5.3in ... 14.3in ... 28.6in ....... 89.9in ........ 704 ........ -3.2%

225/65-18 ...... 5.8in ... 14.8in ... 29.5in ....... 92.7in ........ 683 ........ -0.2%

edit: also make sure to check the load rating

Edited by 2b2

YT90SC--I have the 225 snows from a previous car (Honda Crosstour). Sounds like I should probably just sell em on Craigslist and get the right size for my Edge.

You would still need to pay to have them remounted and, ideally, on a new steel winter rim. Plus the cost of new tire pressure sensors.

So the cost of a proper tire wouldn't be all that bad given what you would already need to pay for the swap.

I would also suggest that in future include snow tires when buying a new car. The dealer will take a lot of money off the price of the tire/rim set to secure the vehicle sale.

Edited by J-150