Assistance Tracking Mustang GT Special Order

cph125

Hi,

I'm new to Ford and purchased a 2016 Mustang GT in mid August. My sticker indicates the date 120150915 at the top near the blend number. It's a bit confusing but best I've been able to research on Blue Oval and other forums this is the build date.

The dealer told me more than once there is no way for them to track it except to call Ford.

On my own I spoke to Ford Marketing who indicated 5 days ago that delivery is scheduled for 9/28/2015. Yesterday they updated the delivery date to 10/5/2015.

From what I've read so far it seems that some Ford employees can assist customers with detailed tracking info which would be much appreciated.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that date you found on the window sticker is the date the sticker was printer, which isn't always the same as the build date. Many times the build date is a few days later.

If ford marketing told you the delivery date is tentatively 10/5, then I would go with that unless you hear otherwise

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that date you found on the window sticker is the date the sticker was printer, which isn't always the same as the build date.

The date I'm referring to is at the top near the blend number. I believe the date you're referring to is the invoice date which appears below "TOTAL MSRP" and "SPECIAL ORDER", which for my car is 09/09/2015.

Edited by cph125

The date I'm referring to is at the top near the blend number. I believe the date you're referring to is the invoice date which appears below "TOTAL MSRP" and "SPECIAL ORDER", which for my car is 09/09/2015.

You might be right

I'll have to check when I'm at work Monday.

P.S. There's a chance I had a hand in building your Mustang ;)

I've lost count of how many times someone's had to deal with an uncooperative or incompetent dealer in trying to get updates on their vehicle order status. So once again here's the basic information...

Ford sends a "Vehicle Daily Status Report" to every dealership that displays the order status updates for every vehicle (Retail/Demo/Stock/Plan/Fleet) in the dealer's order bank. Vehicle information stays on the report until there is no status change for 3 days and then that vehicle drops off the report. As soon as there's a status change, the vehicle reappears on the report with the updated information.

The most timely information is via the "Vehicle Visibility Report" which dealers have access to 24/7 via the FMCDealer.com portal. It shows the complete vehicle order history and every single status change since the order was originally submitted to Ford including all scheduling information, production status updates, shipping release information, etc. I'm attaching a sample of the Vehicle Visibility Report that I just ran for a 2016 Mustang GT that is due to be delivered to us.

Hope that this information helps!

Vehicle Visibility Report_2016 Mustang GT_Sample_2015-09-13_Redacted.pdf

Hi,

I'm new to Ford and purchased a 2016 Mustang GT in mid August. My sticker indicates the date 120150915 at the top near the blend number. It's a bit confusing but best I've been able to research on Blue Oval and other forums this is the build date.

The dealer told me more than once there is no way for them to track it except to call Ford.

On my own I spoke to Ford Marketing who indicated 5 days ago that delivery is scheduled for 9/28/2015. Yesterday they updated the delivery date to 10/5/2015.

From what I've read so far it seems that some Ford employees can assist customers with detailed tracking info which would be much appreciated.

Do you have a VIN number?

If not, do you have a copy of your DORA? That is the receipt the dealer receives when they place an order and Ford accepts it as valid.

If you have a DORA, post the dealer ID number and the order number. I'll look it up.

It takes 5 seconds to look an order up. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a salesperson that doesn't want to be bothered with it.

Ice-capades,

Thanks, very useful information. I've read about the vehicle status report on this and other forums but have never seen an example until now.

Makes sense the dealers would be kept in the loop with a report like this. From what I've gathered about this dealer, it seems only the sales manager has access to the dealer portal and can be difficult to reach at times.

But with your insight it's a little annoying that just last week one of the floor sales people said something to the effect "customers think we know when the delivery dates are but we know as much as they do". Not sure if it's just laziness or they've had bad experiences giving this info to customers, then Ford changes the schedule by a few days or a week and they get caught in the middle?

So going by your example: I got the VIN on 9/5, Ford Marketing advised it was in Order Processing on 9/7 and from what I can tell the build date is scheduled for 9/15. From what I read, it takes about 18 hours to build a Mustang, so call that a couple of days. Add approx. 10 days of transit time, delivery in the 9/28 to 10/5 time frame makes sense.

The sales manager told me he checks out these forums regularly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he already got the message.

But I'll run it by him - especially if the car ends up being delayed for some reason. After the 15th they should be able to track the entire transit route.

There's really no excuse for not providing this information, afterall they prioritize special orders so this should be expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Ice-capades, Pioneer:

While discussing other details, the dealer volnteered a status last Tuesday and said it was in-transit at Bellvue, Ohio.

I asked for a status today and they indicated it was still in Ohio, explaining that Ford's tracking system is notoriously inaccurate and cars often just show up even thought the VVR says its in transit.

But according to the VVR sample you provided - which also happens to include Bellvue, OH - the locations vary several times a day and shows being in 3 different states within the span of just 3 days.

I know delivery is imminent, probably between 9/29 and 10/1 - but would one of you guys mind providing me with an update? The dealer is 40 minutes away and getting into it with them over this is probably not the best thing for me to do.

Thanks Pioneer.

Of course we knew it wasn't in Ohio, the dealer obviously isn't interested in these matters.

You would think they would be considering this was a special order, not a car they had to take on as inventory and sell off the lot.

So it looks like 9/29 to 10/1 is very likely.

Appreciate your assistance.

Pioneer,

Any chance you can give me an update on delivery? It's supposed to be there today but may have been delayed with all the bad weather we've had.

Everyone at the dealer who knows is either off for the day or tied up.

thanks

The car arrived on Friday October 2nd. The dealer advised it came in late that day but didn't notify me until Monday morning because the they knew I couldn't put it on the road over the weekend. (State registry and insurance offices closed) So I picked up the car the afternoon of Monday October 5th.

It was delivered almost perfect, just a couple of small scratches on the rear panel of the trunk, unfortunately too deep to buff out. Who knows where they occurred but the dealer is putting in for a replacement. The car "pops" in Race Red and the Ceramic interior was a great choice. Panel fit is very good with some very minor alignment issues, but the overall build quality is excellent and the interior is just leaps and bounds over what I've seen in car reviews for older models and what I recall from past test drives of a 2003 GT.

I ordered the car with the security package but the dealer didn't install the wheel locks, so I installed them over the weekend. According to the owners manual, lug nut torque is 150 ft lbs. I installed the locks using a Craftsmen 1/2" drive, 250 ft lb capacity click torque wrench. But before doing so, I checked the break torque on a few of the lug nuts - about 135 ft lbs or about 10% low, so I went around and re-torqued them all to 150. Just curious, has anyone else checked the break torque of GT wheel lug nuts as received from the factory?

...and thanks again to Pioneer and ice capades for the delivery status and info, it was a learning experience.

• Like 1