Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade

There are people paying $900+ to upgrade regilar Fusion taillights to the Titanium taillights.

People do some crazy things.

Just because you think it is crazy doesn't really mean anything to anyone other than yourself. If it makes them happy and they can afford it so be it. I used to think people that smoke were idiots when I used to have to smell it all the time at Bars and Restaurants. Now I really don't care that they go outside, give them self cancer, and burn money it makes them happy and has basically no effect on me. If it makes someone happy to have a Sync 3 upgrade so be it. This company just buys the parts from Ford and builds the kits, if Ford makes a upgrade kit it will be cheaper, I think if Ford ends up making it an option it would be based on the Sync Connect system, having a connected system even though more expensive would have more people signup for the upgrade.

I'm still confused on this. If they are selling a kit, does this mean no software needed? The fact that the ford IVT team has publicly posted there is no way to upgrade (obviously we have seen it is possible) led me to believe it is software too.

But if they sell the parts as a kit, seems it is just hardware. If just hardware, you can get the part numbers and order yourself from the discounted ford part sites like autonation that sells everything at 10% above cost. It will be far cheaper to do that then buy this kit, again if it is just hardware.

It has to come preloaded with the software otherwise it would be useless. The unknown is what happens when a new software upgrade comes out and Ford doesn't know you have sync 3.

My hope is that the sync head unit would have a unique ID and that is what is tracked by the over the air update system and not the vehicle VIN or something else. So once that head unit registers with the cloud it would get updates automatically.