Ford June 2016 Sales: Delivers Best First-Half U.S. Sales in a Decade

MKX is due for an MCE in 2018 so I wouldn't expect any engine upgrades before that.

Keep in mind that 2,7 and 3.0 engines are the same series so adding the 3.0 is incremental

but still requires the obligatory field evaluation and reliability testing.

The question is then whether Ford wants to batch all changes with the MKX at one point

or make changes and additions on the run......it also depends on supply of the 3.0TT.

• Like 1

I think Troller for the US makes perfect sense as a filler using T6 parts and sharing a factory - provided it can meet safety regs. If not it could be export only.

If it's just a regional update, it won't get a start in North America.

Is Ford going to bring out modular designs? Isnt that what Toyota and VW are doing, since they last longer? It is wasteful to spend billions every 5 years for "all new" just to please critics, while buyers only care about flashy connectivity apps and new looks.

Edited by 630land

Is Ford going to bring out modular designs? Isnt that what Toyota and VW are doing, since they last longer? It is wasteful to spend billions every 5 years for "all new" just to please critics, while buyers only care about flashy connectivity apps and new looks.

That's what it sounds like. It looks that the Fiesta platform is being rolled into the Focus platform, and they will eventually be building off of 5 platforms in North America going forward: C, CD4/CD6, T6 (Ranger, Bronco and perhaps Troller for South America), F-150/Super Duty and S550. The D platform is on its way out once Flex and Taurus are phased out.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

That's what it sounds like. It looks that the Fiesta platform is being rolled into the Focus platform, and they will eventually be building off of 5 platforms in North America going forward: C, CD4/CD6, T6 (Ranger, Bronco and perhaps Troller for South America), F-150/Super Duty and S550. The D platform is on its way out once Flex and Taurus are phased out.

6 platforms... you forgot Transit ;)

• Like 1

A previous rumor over a year ago was ranger and 2 utilities with one not being a Ford or Lincoln. We all assumed that was Troller. It's currently built on some T6 derivative so it makes sense they would all share a platform.

I see Troller being more Wrangler like and Bronco being more mainstream but still capable (like Raptor).

How it should be:

Bronco vs Wrangler

Everest (whatever they call it here) vs 4Runner / Xterra

Troller is a bad name for the US market. Personally, I think it is a cool name but 'Troll' has been hijacked by the internet as an un-desireable notion.

Looking at GM pickup sales vs Ram and Ford I can see why they actually did those ads and confirmed my initial thoughts. It is pure desperation. They have flat sales in a market where Ford sales are up 10.7% and Ram are up 9%, on vehicles that can bring in 10K plus in profit.

Looking at GM pickup sales vs Ram and Ford I can see why they actually did those ads and confirmed my initial thoughts. It is pure desperation. They have flat sales in a market where Ford sales are up 10.7% and Ram are up 9%, on vehicles that can bring in 10K plus in profit.

even if you look at combined mid and full sized trucks at GM versus Ford F Series,

the actual gap is not that much...GM ~79K Vs ~71K...and then take into consideration

Ford big success with Transit vans vs the GM exit to make room for the mid sized trucks.

I think Ford can be quite pleased with results so far, the two areas needing a lift, SD and large Utes

are in the pipeline, so the good times should continue for quite a while....

Ford big success with Transit vans vs the GM exit to make room for the mid sized trucks.

Remember that part of the business circumstances there was this:

CAFE impacts Class 1 and 1A vans, which meant that the days were numbered for the conventional half-ton vans.

Unlike Ford, GM's European vans were long ago outsourced to Renault. Ford could bring over the Transit; GM couldn't bring over anything from Opel.

• Like 1

I wonder what will become of GM's HD vans for the mnext product cycle,

perhaps they too will become outsourced or at least built bu a third party...

They have to make a decision soon. The medium duty joint venture with Navistar is part of the answer - GM will likely replace the 3500 and 4500 cab chassis with the new Navistar based vehicle. At that point, they need to decide if it is worth keeping the 2500 and 3500 van going indefinitely at much lower volume, or buy rebadged Nissan NV vans, like they did with the compact NV200.

They have to make a decision soon. The medium duty joint venture with Navistar is part of the answer - GM will likely replace the 3500 and 4500 cab chassis with the new Navistar based vehicle. At that point, they need to decide if it is worth keeping the 2500 and 3500 van going indefinitely at much lower volume, or buy rebadged Nissan NV vans, like they did with the compact NV200.

Well if GM is negotiating from a position where it want to minimize exposure to risk,

then outsourcing to a JV partner is probably their best course.

Those kinds of decisions rely on reduced costs making the whole exercise

more profitable than going it alone. There's still big question marks around

GM's internal cost structure being too high for significant fleet business..

• Like 1