Poor Sales halt Mustang/Continental Production

I went to a local Ford dealer site and they are offering $250 or $750 bucks off...or a horrible 5.9% interest on a 84(!) month loan on the Ecoboost and V6 Mustangs they have (no GT's)

When did Ford begin offering 84 month loans?

Edited by Anthony
Quoted wrong post
  • Like 1

When trucks started costing over $50k?

Well, it was actually a serious question. Ford had previously skirted 84 month loans as not begin in their best interest (reduces trade-in cycle) or the buyer's best interest (higher interest rate / upside-down equity).

To answer my own question, they began rolling it outside of pilot programs this past April.

http://www.fi-magazine.com/channel/dps-office/news/story/2016/04/ford-credit-now-offering-84-month-financing.aspx

Well, it was actually a serious question. Ford had previously skirted 84 month loans as not begin in their best interest (reduces trade-in cycle) or the buyer's best interest (higher interest rate / upside-down equity).

To answer my own question, they began rolling it outside of pilot programs this past April.

http://www.fi-magazine.com/channel/dps-office/news/story/2016/04/ford-credit-now-offering-84-month-financing.aspx

I just did some math....figure a 50K car/truck with 10K down...a 5 year loan would be around 2% would be $700 a month, but if you went up to a 84 months loan at 6% the payment would "only" be $120 a month cheaper at $584. But then again most people are only focused on the monthly payment and not actually paying the car off...if thats the case, why not lease and save some $$$.

Common sense says (I know, that may be asking too much) if I need an 84 month loan, I may not be able to afford this vehicle

I remember people saying the same thing when 60 months loan became a thing. Then the same thing were said again when 72 month loan became popular. One of the biggest misunderstanding people have about 6 or 7 year loans is that it is not aimed at poor people. It fact, it is almost always offered to people who have good income but do not want to put down a big down payment on a vehicle.

Think about someone coming out of a 36 months lease on a luxury car and want to change things up. Ford offers these people a chance to buy a $60k truck or SUV for the same monthly payment with a 72 or 84 months loan. For small business person, the depreciation advantage of such deal can be pretty attractive while keeping cash flow the same as a 36 months lease. Tax laws allow you to depreciate the vehicles very aggressively in the first 3 years and usually after 4 or 5 years, the vehicle will flip from "upside down" to flat or positive equity so you can trade it in without losing your shirt.