Im pretty sure this was resolved before...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the question was NOT whether OTP was open, or where the Edge was being assembled, it was WHERE OTP was at.

Thanks for the pic.

Too bad it doesn't explain why you thought a plant that's been closed for two years was still open.

Quote RJ

Ford has 150k units of capacity for this and the MKX. I don't think they're going to have any trouble selling those units.

Quote Bluecon.

"I would expect a assembly plant to have a minimum capacity of 200k.

What do you base the capacity is 150k on?"

Quote RJ

"It's being assembled at OAC inline with the Freestar (for now), the "Fairlane" later on.

Click on the production photos at left, you'll see Freestars in the assembly line.

Links gone. Click here:

http://www.thefusionsource.com/index.php?c...17_sectionid=30

Third image, a white Freestar is coming down the line after the MKX."

Quote Bluecon

"That is just a final line. you can drive anything on there.

I am not sure but I think there are 2 plants on the one site at Oakville and they are using the old truck plant for the new equipment for the Edge. The Oakville people would know."

Quote RJ

"Ontario Truck is closed (as of 7/04). The only plant on the site being used for assembly is Oakville Assembly Complex (formerly Oakville Assembly Plant).

Wrong. They are also using the old Ontario Truck Plant. And OTP is in the same place it has always been. It just has a new name.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=19503

Its capacity on two shifts is probably in the 250k range, as it is with most other Ford flex facilities."

Quote OACville

"Three shift Capacity at OAC is 364,000. units with the plan running 6 days a week.

The breakdown would be something like 150k for Edge/MKX, 120k for People mover, 80-90k for product #3 be it the Freestar or something else."

Now what exactly is your point? You stated that the capacity to build the Edge/MKX is 150k.

Why do you make ridiculous statements that OAC capacity for the Edge/MKX is 150 k per year?

It is a totally wrong statement.

Why did you even stick your nose in this post concerning hybrids?

Do you work for Ford and are required to do this for your job, or are you some punk control freak who needs to add his opinion when he has absolutely no knowledge or experience in the field of building or engineering automobiles.

Bob Fields has a great deal of expertise in the area of building and engineering autos. You have none.

Evan Boberg is also a recognized expert in the auto field. And your expertise in designing and engineering autos is based on????

Did you ever consider reading what an expert has written and perhaps learning something? Instead you jump in and start with a childish argument.

Edited by Bluecon

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ontario truck is closed.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...ontario_closes/,

and as OACville posted, 3 shift is 364k, which equates down to about 240-250k for 2 shifts. In ONE plant, just as was posted.

So, what exactly is your point? You thought Ford was going to build the Edge/MKX in the now closed OTP. You're wrong.

And as for my 'ridiculous' insistence that people making claims back them up with some sort of references, well, good luck trying to get me to change.

Edited by RichardJensen

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ontario truck is closed.

Quote Bluecon

"I am not sure but I think there are 2 plants on the one site at Oakville and they are using the old truck plant for the new equipment for the Edge. The Oakville people would know."

Sparky_OAC is the source of that layout.

Once again you have no actual knowledge but you spout off like you hold all the secrets to the FMC.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...ontario_closes/,

and as OACville posted, 3 shift is 364k, which equates down to about 240-250k for 2 shifts. In ONE plant, just as was posted.

This is what was originally posted by RJ.

Quote RJ

"Ford has 150k units of capacity for this and the MKX. I don't think they're going to have any trouble selling those units."

This is you're original statement and it is dead wrong.

So, what exactly is your point? You thought Ford was going to build the Edge/MKX in the now closed OTP. You're wrong.

I am right. Unless you know more about OAC than Sparky_OAC. (I am sure you think you do)

And as for my 'ridiculous' insistence that people making claims back them up with some sort of references, well, good luck trying to get me to change.

I just recommend if you have absolutely know knowledge of what you are replying to, don't reply.

Now would be a good time to start taking that advice.

Continuing to foolishly argue the point when you are obviously wrong does nothing to make you correct.

Edited by Bluecon

OTP has not been demolished yet. It is still on the factory grounds, and no one is working there. You can find all of this out from the CITED SOURCE. The plant is C-L-O-S-E-D. That does not mean that it has evaporated. It is still there, but it is not being used for anything. It's fenced off (as I recall hearing on this board a year or so ago), and Ford has done NOTHING with it. Flex tooling has been installed at the OTHER plant. The one formerly called the Oakville Assembly Plant, now called the Oakville Assembly Complex.

Ford has tentatively scheduled 150k units of production for the the Edge/MKX

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../609040366/1148

That in addition to Freestar production at the same plant.

Once again, OTP--the building--is still there, but NO ONE IS USING IT.

BTW, did you notice how I used a cited source to back up my statement re: 150,000 Edge/MKX units?

Wouldn't it be neat if everyone on the board did that?

Edited by RichardJensen

Which facility is getting flex tooling and the major overhaul? OTP or OAP?

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd041108.htm

The automaker will retool and renovate its existing Oakville auto assembly operation, transforming it into a flexible manufacturing plant, Ford of Canada President and CEO Alain Batty explained at the project announcement on Oct. 29th. Ford has long had a presence in Oakville, some 35 miles (56 kilometers) west of Toronto. The company's huge existing assembly operation there is 51 years old. That facility covers almost 3.9 million sq. ft. (351,000 sq. m.), housing some 3,900 workers assembling the Ford Freestar and the Mercury Monterey.

The statistics refer to Oakville, which was built in 1953, not Ontario Truck which was built in 1965. Oakville is also listed as being 3.873 million square feet, where Ontario Truck is listed at about 3 million square feet even.

Like I said, Ontario is finished. Nothing is being done with it. Only the plant designated Oakville Assembly Complex (neé Oakville Assembly Plant) on the Oakville site is being retooled.

http://media.ford.com/facilities/index.cfm?make_id=trust

North American Assembly Plants

* Atlanta Assembly Plant (closing October)

* AutoAlliance International, Inc. (Mustang, Mazda6)

* Chicago Assembly Plant (Five Hundred, Montego, Freestyle)

* Cuautitlan Assembly Plant (F-Series for SA market, Ford Ikon)

* Dearborn Truck Plant (F150)

* Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly (MKZ, Fusion, Milan)

* Kansas City Assembly Plant (Escape, Mariner, F150 -- a huge 4.7M sf facility with two assembly lines)

* Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty, formerly Ford's class 6-8 facility)

* Louisville Assembly Plant (Explorer, Mountaineer, Sport Trac)

* Michigan Truck Plant (Expedition, Navigator, speculated to receive next gen. F150 production)

* Norfolk Assembly Plant (F150), this plant targeted for closure

* Oakville Assembly (Freestar, Monterey, Edge, MKX)

* Ohio Assembly Plant (E-Series)

* St. Louis Assembly Plant (Idled 3/10/06) (used to build the Explorer)

* St. Thomas Assembly (Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis) future uncertain

* Twin Cities Assembly Plant (Ranger) (scheduled for closure in 2008)

* Wayne Stamping and Assembly Plant (Focus)

* Wixom Assembly Plant (Town Car) (scheduled for closure next year)

Edited by RichardJensen

Nemak is a tier 1 supplier (that means they supply components directly to Ford), the plant serves Ford exclusively, but Nemak gets a piece of the action.

To be more specific. Nemak is a Mexican company and Ford sold 50% of the Essex Aluminum Plant to them. (it says 75%, so maybe they upped it) The plant is run by Nemak. Ford also sold Nemak the Windsor Aluminum Plant under the same arrangement. That list is out of date. The Nemak Windsor Aluminum plant also casts GM heads.

OTP has not been demolished yet. It is still on the factory grounds, and no one is working there. You can find all of this out from the CITED SOURCE. The plant is C-L-O-S-E-D. That does not mean that it has evaporated. It is still there, but it is not being used for anything. It's fenced off (as I recall hearing on this board a year or so ago), and Ford has done NOTHING with it. Flex tooling has been installed at the OTHER plant. The one formerly called the Oakville Assembly Plant, now called the Oakville Assembly Complex.

Ford has tentatively scheduled 150k units of production for the the Edge/MKX

True but not the same as capacity.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../609040366/1148

That in addition to Freestar production at the same plant.

Once again, OTP--the building--is still there, but NO ONE IS USING IT.

And how can you tell that from South Dakota? You're wrong and Sparky_OAC is right.

BTW, did you notice how I used a cited source to back up my statement re: 150,000 Edge/MKX units?

Wouldn't it be neat if everyone on the board did that?

This is a tough decision.

Should I believe the guy in South Dakota that knows nothing about auto manufacturing or the guy (OAC_Sparky) who has worked at the Oakville site for many years. Look carefully at the map, Sparky_OAC made and then explain to me that they are not using the old OTP. Then straighten out Sparky_OAC as to what is really going on. You would need to be one smart cookie to know more about a plant from a thousand plus miles away then the people that work at the plant.

post-20881-1158033666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bluecon

Sparky would know.

Yo! Spark! Get your sarcastic butt in here!

Gee, thanks pal. As if I don't get into enough on my own. :P

Which facility is getting flex tooling and the major overhaul? OTP or OAP?

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd041108.htm

The statistics refer to Oakville, which was built in 1953, not Ontario Truck which was built in 1965. Oakville is also listed as being 3.873 million square feet, where Ontario Truck is listed at about 3 million square feet even.

Like I said, Ontario is finished. Nothing is being done with it. Only the plant designated Oakville Assembly Complex (neé Oakville Assembly Plant) on the Oakville site is being retooled.

Sorry, didn't want to get involved in the argument, but Richard, you're wrong.

As Bluecon's diagram shows (I know, I drew it), the main OTP plant (which was OTP trim, chassis and final), was stripped out and retooled and is now the Edge/MKX Body Area 1. Which is why it was fenced off -- it was a construction zone.

OTP Body Plant was stripped out, and is now Edge/MKX Body 2, which produces the doors for these units. Both Body 1 and Body 2 still have room for more equipment.

OTP Paint Paints all the vehicles right now; the Edges, MKXs and Freestars.

OAP Paint sits vacant now, apart from it being a path for vehicular movement from (IIRC) OTP Paint to OAP,

The OAP main plant is Trim/Chassis/Final for the Edges/MKXs/Freestars. Also, as shown in the diagram, it houses 9/10 of the Freestar bodybuild. For now. Rumour has it that when the Freestar is axed this will either become more Final Assembly space or a nother bodybuild. But that's speculation at this point.

Hope this clears it up.

Sorry, didn't want to get involved in the argument, but Richard, you're wrong.

Well, live and learn.

Two things are still clear, though:

3 shift capacity is 360k units, and Ford's Edge/MKX volume projection for the next year is 150k.

Oh, and there's still no solid basis for claiming that Toyota gets a royalty from every Escape sold.