• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
argyle

Winter rims and tires

I have a 2015 MKC and was wondering if you need to have aluminum rims or can you use steel rims for winter.....

Was told that steel wouldn't work due to calipers and rotor postion with steel...

And opinions on winter tire brands ?

Thanks.

The MKC and Escape are the same chassis so some steelies off a same year Escape should do the trick....always test mount to check clearances though...as for snows, I am far and away impressed with General Alti-MAX Arctics....quiet yet damn good grip in the white stuff...

Whether you buy from them or not, the Tire Rack website can show you a lot of the options available for your car. I bought a set of 17" Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's for my 17 Escape from them last year. Steel wheels were available but aluminum wheels started at around $35 more each. I figured I'd want to buy some kind of wheel covers for the steel wheels anyway (and they never look very good) so going the extra $35 per wheel seemed worth it to me. I put them on for the second time last week. Put on the set of WS70's that I got for my wife's 2012 Fusion some time ago the same day. I think I've bought five winter packages from Tire Rack since 1992 and I've been happy with all of them.

Edited by OldZX5er

I looked at PIU Steelies for my Flex but they were pricey (for what they are)

It is crazy that you can pick up some aluminum rims cheaper than steel rims...I went to an auto salvage yard and bought some good, used (and straight) aluminum rims for my 2011 MKX for my winter tread...

I run these in the winter - so does my local Sheriff and Police dept.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/ultra-grip-ice-wrt-suv?cta=BBCardTireName

I have them on my Lincoln only because they had a rebate at the time and the General Alti-MAX Arctic's did not...I am not dissatisfied with their performance, mind you, but if I could've, I would've preferred the Generals', much quieter and equal or better grip. I have had Alti-MAX Arctics before and loved 'em....just, this time, the rebate on the Goodyears was too much to resist...

Edited by twintornados

Will aluminum factory alloys off a 2016 Ford Edge fit on a 2019 Lincoln MKC?