GM tells Ford to stop running ads

Blue Oval Staff

Well, Ford does have to stop claiming that they have the best warranty, and the article makes it sound like Ford *has* stopped running the ads. So, the point of the article is?

I agree with Pioneer, match the GM warranty and run new ads. What's the added cost of moving from 5/60 to 5/100? I can't believe it'd be that much.

Scott

One of my mothers friends got suckered into Kia's warranty...a week after I got it she tried to justify her purchase by telling me "But it has a 10 year warranty". I asked "ON what?" She tells me, "The car, it has a 10 year warranty"... I told her to read the fine print, and the different between powertrain and bumper to bumper"...

Flash forward about 1 year...Oh yeah she has warranty alright, doesnt mean theywant to cover some of the stuff that continues to go with the vehicle...shes been taking from one Kia dealership to another, since no one wants to fix much.

One of my mothers friends got suckered into Kia's warranty...a week after I got it she tried to justify her purchase by telling me "But it has a 10 year warranty". I asked "ON what?" She tells me, "The car, it has a 10 year warranty"... I told her to read the fine print, and the different between powertrain and bumper to bumper"...

Flash forward about 1 year...Oh yeah she has warranty alright, doesnt mean theywant to cover some of the stuff that continues to go with the vehicle...shes been taking from one Kia dealership to another, since no one wants to fix much.

people seldom read the fine print on what is considered a powertrain part.

Leaky headgaskets on 3.8/4.2s would be considered a coolant issue. Exploding 5.4 spark plaugs are a wear item and wouldnt be covered.

The reality is, the 50 cent part that causes 2000 in damage is generally not on the list of covered items, leaving the claimant on their own.

Unless of course having an extra year of warranty on the block is worth something to someone, somewhere.

Interesting discussion of competing warranties from various manufacturers. I'll start off by stating that the biggest mistake a company can make is in misidentifying who its' competition is. Unfortunately, Ford Division continues to think that its' competition is GM/Chevrolet. The reality is that, at least east of the Mississippi where there are far too many dealers, Ford dealers are mostly competing with themselves. In the overall market though, the primary competition is from the volume manufacturers Toyota, Honda & Hyundai.

Regarding the warranty issue, most customers don't read the fine print as to what's covered by the powertrain warranty portion. At least in the multiple markets that I've dealt with for the past 20+ years... just talk to anyone that owns a late model Hyundai. After they're done telling you how much they love their Hyundai and before you can say a word, they're telling you that it has a 10 year warranty. Forget the details in warranty coverage, the point is that the general perception in the market is that Hyundai has the best warranty. Ford's change to a 5 year warranty just continues to be second rate in terms of the buyers' perceptions. Anything less than a 10 year warranty from Ford will continue to be considered second rate. Ford needs to lead the market and be competitive with the real competitors in the market instead of continuing to playing catch up with others. Perception has a very strong influence on the brands that buyers will consider today and tomorrow.

Edited by ice-capades