...and the cat came back, the very next day, the cat came back, they thought he was a goner, but the cat came back, he just couldn't stay away...

Probably wise for Ford, assuming the fleet/livery market is profitable. Moving to STAP will reduce production costs for the TC, making it even more viable.

One question though, with rumors of the differences between the CV/GM & TC making it difficult to build on the same line, is the TC "changing" to a CV/GM-based Panther platform, say the CV 6-in stretch wheelbase, or is it moving wholesale over to STAP, with attendant changes made to STAP to make it "flex"?

Scott

It will make sense for the TC to get a mild styling update when it moves, one that's more compatible with the LWB panther produce there. I'd suspect that the Panther receives some minor tweaks here and there to make it more compatible with what a TC needs. I suspect that the 3V 4.6L and the 6AT package from the explorer will find a home in there as well. It seems to me that Ford wants to trim out as much difference as possible, and the only places where the 2V 4.6L exist are the F-150 and the Panthers. The F-150 gets changed around the same time, so its a good opportunity to eliminate an old engine and update to a more efficient package.

One question though, with rumors of the differences between the CV/GM & TC making it difficult to build on the same line, is the TC "changing" to a CV/GM-based Panther platform, say the CV 6-in stretch wheelbase, or is it moving wholesale over to STAP, with attendant changes made to STAP to make it "flex"?

Scott

This is BOF. Like with trucks, it doesn't take much to accomodate a change in WB. According to some posts in the CV forum from STAP workers, looks like their already test running TCs thru the line.

Edited by SysEng

This is BOF. Like with trucks, it doesn't take much to accomodate a change in WB. According to some posts in the CV forum from STAP workers, looks like their already test running TCs thru the line.

Some engineers from Detroit were poking around bodyshop with measuring tapes and drawings of the Ranger to see what we would need to change to build those as well.

I suspected this was the plan all alon. The TC althoguh not high in production numbers is high on profit. Ad moving to STAP will lower it's costs even further . With STAPS line worker's attentention to detail quality will not be an issue.

Maybe things are looking up for the old girls (CV GM TC) you nver know we could be here ten years from now disscussing the fate of the PantherII chassis lol

The TC CV GM all share the same chassis the only diff is wheel bases

Matthew

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it would be diffifcult to add to STAP, but I remember when Wixom's closing was announced, several people were saying the TC was TOO different and couldn't be moved to STAP along with the CV & GM. But what you say makes sense to me.

Although I wouldn't mind at least a facelift in the move.

RJ - Add in the Econoline and it will be Ford's happy retirement home.

Scott

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it would be diffifcult to add to STAP, but I remember when Wixom's closing was announced, several people were saying the TC was TOO different and couldn't be moved to STAP along with the CV & GM. But what you say makes sense to me.

Although I wouldn't mind at least a facelift in the move.

RJ - Add in the Econoline and it will be Ford's happy retirement home.

Scott

Problem is the stuff never seems to retire it just keeps hanging around.

Geriactric facilty yes retirment no.

If Ford is going to move STAP to BOF production Panthers and Ranger size types it would make sence to update them. Bet the TC GM and CV all get make overs at the same time. Then the whole line get redone to accept the new cars in one shot.

I would have never guessed 20 years ago that the Panther would out live the Taurus so much for the Taurus spells the end to the Panther crowd.

And yup the B 52 is the Panther of the US Air Force A while back I was reading artical about a Current B-52 Pilot whose Father and Granfather flew them. HMM you could be talking about a Panther.

I hope Ford has now got it figured out that maket for these cars is not going to go away no matter how hard they to kill it. And belive they have tried prettttttty damn hard to do it. I mean jeeze the same basic sheet metal for 15 years and it will be another 2 or so be for we can even hope to see new stuff.

Matthew

After driving a Five Hundred for a day, while my CV was being repaired, I would be happy if the Panthers stay in production for 30 more years. The Five Hundred felt and sounded like a Focus with a big trunk and extra legroom in the rear. I was so pleased to be back in my CV.

I never understood why the Town Car wasn't made in St. Thomas anyway. Glad to read that it is staying and that the analysts are wrong.

I think the short answer is "Jac Nasser is an idiot"

When Ford went to a totally different SD frame, and sold the Class 6-8 business to D-B, the smart thing would've been to scatter Lincoln production to the various plants that built the platform-mates to the Lincoln products, and move SD production to Wixom.

You would've had Town Cars in STAP, MKVIII in Lorraine, Continental in Chicago or Atlanta, eventually the LS would be built in Britain at Castle Bromwich, and SDs would be built in a plant that would be turn a profit building them.

Instead you sold off a brand new line of Class 8 trucks, signed stifling non-competes, and left Wixom as a sort of land of the lost.

Question. Is ford adopting the TC to the CV/GM frame, or will they still be different?

I posted this once before.

A few years back STAP was mistakenly sent TC frames. The frames got into production

and were completely built without the blink of an eye. It wasn't until the built frames

were matched up to the GM/CV body on line 3 that the problem was noticed.

disclaimer: I did not witness this. It's a story from people who say they did.

Ford announced what it's doing with the TC post Wixom, but they still haven't announced what's happening to the Ranger post Twin Cities. It does seem more and more feasible that Ranger production can be moved. Although, a small part of me really hoped that plant closures meant that we would see replacements! Unfortunately, even plant closures can't gurantee product change.

A few years back STAP was mistakenly sent TC frames. The frames got into production

and were completely built without the blink of an eye. It wasn't until the built frames

Could be true, the only place there would be a differance is in the actual locations of the body mounts but these are just welded on tabs so basically the frames are the same just the body mounting tabs are posibly in a slightly different locations. With this small differance no need to drop one frame or anouther obviously other than that the frames are identical especially if it will accept all the CV GM mechanicals. Sort of reinforces the point the frames are the same.

Matthew

Well, they can't do a replacement BOF car in one year, as some wished. Also, the MKS wouldn't cut it as a "Town Car". I. E. livery service or limos.

No this is true but they can do a new body or at least sheet metal. And who knows how long they could have been working on it for.

Rember the Conti show car sat on a Panther platform so obviously someone was-has-is messing with it .

Matthew

Plenty? Only the Mopar 300, and that itsn't taking the limo market by storm. I don't see any Camry, Accord, or Avalon limos??

The President Caddy limo has a full frame under it, built custom, with just DTS styling on it.

Most limo companies are running stretched SUV's now too.

Ford announced what it's doing with the TC post Wixom, but they still haven't announced what's happening to the Ranger post Twin Cities. It does seem more and more feasible that Ranger production can be moved.

Some engineers from Detroit were up at STAP a number of months ago.

They were looking at what changes would need to be done to run the Ranger through our plant.

Ranger and Panthers are both full frame rear wheel drive vehicles.

The wheel bases are approx. the same.

Before we built the LWB, a TC frame would bring the frame line to a grinding halt.

I thought the current LWB frames were pretty much the same as the standard TC frame.

Anyone know more?