Honda's New Diesel and Revised Fuel Cell

Mark B. Morrow

Laugh if you want. That's a nice looking car.

I know but it really does look like Honda Prius ...

I am worried that Ford will lose this race as well - for diesel engines - and even if it is by little - the first one to truly advertise diesel compact. subcompact and midsizer, will get HUGE media attnetion, and customer notice and Ford needs both right now.

Igor

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I am a Ford guy. It breaks my heart to see them not getting any publicity in these areas. Or let me rephrase that - to see them not taking the lead in these areas. If only Ford could revolutionize personal transportation in America and the world once again, the way they did with the Model T. That was a long time ago, wasn't it?

BTW - That's Honda's FFV Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle, isn't it? Diesels are fine, but we need to be leaping ahead to Fuel Cells and electric too. I could be wrong, but I think I see the end of IC coming.

Edited by retro-man

The Model T is an example of everything that was right with Ford...well, at least till about 1918.

After that, it's a shining example of everything that was and is wrong with Ford. Rather than redesigning the vehicle in the mid to late teens, Henry figured that the Model T did what it needed to do and just lowered the price...and kept lowering it and lowering it.

Ford has continued to make that mistake, even to this day. Ranger, CV, Taurus...all three perfect examples.

Nice looking car? Nah, like the Prius, it looks like a blob on wheels.

Ford has a history of making the right car at the right time.

Model T

1932... V-8

1949... Ford

1958 T-Bird

1960 Falcon

1964.5 Mustang

1978 Faimount

1986 Taurus

These are based on immediate slaes upon launch, dominating or creating their segment. All built even more steam in following years, and all but the Mustang were alowed to die a slow death. We could add others like the Ranger or Granada, both were very succesful for Ford. If you can think of any add them to the list.

Honda has tweaked their 2.2 to be 50 state legal.

Ford, however, is pushing for cleaner high displacement diesels. Instead of working on getting the PSA JV 4s U.S. legal (seeing that Ford's share of the market trends more towards high displacement engines than Honda's), Ford is working on higher displacement engines that can be sold in more of its products.

Latest press releases at Ford talk up "Clean Diesel Technology", whatever that is. http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24357

Model T

1932... V-8

1949... Ford

1958 T-Bird

1960 Falcon

1964.5 Mustang

1978 Faimount

1986 Taurus

These are based on immediate slaes upon launch, dominating or creating their segment. All built even more steam in following years, and all but the Mustang were alowed to die a slow death. We could add others like the Ranger or Granada, both were very succesful for Ford. If you can think of any add them to the list.

Ford also owned the Station Wagon market. This months Hemmings Classic Car lists the top 10 selling wagons by year:

1. 1957 Ford, 321,005

2. 1959 Ford, 269,308

3. 1974 Ford Pinto, 237,000

4. 1969 Ford Full Size, 221,000

5. 1973 Ford Pinto, 217,763

6. 1973 Ford Full Size, 216,655

7. 1956 Ford, 214,446

8. 1960 Chevy Full Size, 212,700

9. 1968 Ford full Size, 210,338

10. 1955 Ford, 209,459

This list doesn't include the multitude of Falcons, Fairlanes, Torinos, Fairmonts and Taurus models

What do you mean about first to market with a small diesel. VW OWNs that bit of advertising with years and years of pumping TDI cars into the US market that get 60 mpg in some cases. That's not an angle that someone else can use.

Would love to see a small pickup like the ranger or a small SUV like the escape or bronco concept with an available diesel

Model T

1932... V-8

1949... Ford

1958 T-Bird

1960 Falcon

1964.5 Mustang

1978 Faimount

1986 Taurus

You probably want to add the 1991 Explorer to that list. The Explorer pretty much started the SUV craze of the 1990's to early 2000's. The Explorer is an good example of the right vehicle at the right time. It wasn't really a new concept, since there were SUV's way before the Explorer's time, it was just the first one to package the vehicle correctly. It was just the right size...not a huge beast like the Suburban or Bronco, but bigger then the small Blazer, Bronco II, Cherokee, and Asian SUV's. It was an SUV that a family could live with and it looked just right. Macho enough for the man in the house, yet gentle enough to haul grandma around.

You probably want to add the 1991 Explorer to that list. The Explorer pretty much started the SUV craze of the 1990's to early 2000's. The Explorer is an good example of the right vehicle at the right time. It wasn't really a new concept, since there were SUV's way before the Explorer's time, it was just the first one to package the vehicle correctly. It was just the right size...not a huge beast like the Suburban or Bronco, but bigger then the small Blazer, Bronco II, Cherokee, and Asian SUV's. It was an SUV that a family could live with and it looked just right. Macho enough for the man in the house, yet gentle enough to haul grandma around.

So true... people seem to forget that too often. Sometimes the right package arrives but at the wrong time. Sometimes a good package arrives but it's not for everyone.

I don't think there's any denying some of this is pure dumb luck though.