Look Out Mazda6

NLPRacing

I kinda like the look. Could do well for them. Notice the European styling Richie? Guess they're just irresponsible. lol

European? Really? I see a blatant copy of the Charger styling applied to this Stratus replacement. And with the way the Chargers have been selling lately, I don't think it was a very good decision.

Look out Mazda6? Seriously? Let's see, actual enthusiasts...a bloated Lancer (snark) with Chrysler's world class engines & transmissions (double snark) and that impressive interior (triple snark). And of course the Avenger R/T with a manual transmission...oh, wait, never mind.

The Sebring & Avenger are jokes. Fully redesigned to be bottom of the class. Great strategy.

Scott

Guys, are we overestimating the market niche for this car? Does anyone know the dimensions of this car. I'm looking at these motor sizes. Obviously pretty small right? 4 bangers. Is this really more of a say Mazda 3 size car? Maybe civic size? I really don't know how big or small it is. You can't tell from the photograph. Does anyone know what the dimensions are. If it's the size of a Mazda 6 and they using those small engiines, not so sure that's a good idea. It probably isn't. But in a Mazda 3 size car it would make sense. Is this Dodge's replacement of the Neon crowd? Maybe one of you guys can find out the size of this car, that might answer a lot of questions about this one.

Ok, yeah, did some digging. I didn't know this car is based on the Sebring / Galant chassis, which obvioulsy puts it in the Mazda 6 size car. With those engine options though, I think the Mazda 6 / Fusion is obviouisly the better choice. They'd have to really work over a 2.0 engine to make it pull around a car that size confidently. Maybe they have something up their sleeve at Dodge but right now its not looking promising. Or it could just be that Dodge plans to price them well under the competiton and thus the smaller engines. Who knows. Now given that the Mazda Speed 6 is powerd by in inline 2.3 liter 4 cylinder and it hauls ass, I suppose there is some basis for this size motor in this size car. We'll see I guess.

Guys, are we overestimating the market niche for this car? Does anyone know the dimensions of this car. I'm looking at these motor sizes. Obviously pretty small right? 4 bangers. Is this really more of a say Mazda 3 size car? Maybe civic size? I really don't know how big or small it is. You can't tell from the photograph. Does anyone know what the dimensions are. If it's the size of a Mazda 6 and they using those small engines, not so sure that's a good idea. It probably isn't. But in a Mazda 3 size car it would make sense. Is this Dodge's replacement of the Neon crowd? Maybe one of you guys can find out the size of this car, that might answer a lot of questions about this one.

This "Avenger" is based on the Galant and is supposed be Dodge's answer to the Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata, etc. Dodge's Mazda3 competitor is the Caliber.

This "Avenger" is based on the Galant and is supposed be Dodge's answer to the Camry, Accord, Fusion, Sonata, etc. Dodge's Mazda3 competitor is the Caliber.

whats dodges current v6s? 2.7? biggest? hmmm.. maybe they will plop a turbo on one of them 4 bangers and make it sporty one...

Thanks racing, additionally I don't know about you but I think the Mazda 3 is an all around better choice than the Calibur. You'll be hard pressed to get a better car for the money than the Mazda 3 right now. I don't so much mind the style of the Avenger, but those motor choices are head scratchers. Finally I think the Sonata has come a long way. The current version is actually a pretty nice car at a reasonable price. I'm starting to see more and more of them on the streets. Could be a winner for Hyundai.

whats dodges current v6s? 2.7? biggest? hmmm.. maybe they will plop a turbo on one of them 4 bangers and make it sporty one...

I'm pretty sure the engine options are 2.4L I4, 2.7L V6, and 3.5L V6, not much different than any other make. However, the 3.5L is "only" rated at 235hp, which is going to put it at pretty much the bottom of the barrel since every other manufacturer is releasing 3.5L V6's with 250+hp. Similar to the Fusion, there isn't going to be much to persuade any import buyers to buy it, and this car doesn't look like it would persuade many domestic buyers to buy it, either. Not with the Aura and Fusion out there, both far more attractive vehicles.

Thanks racing, additionally I don't know about you but I think the Mazda 3 is an all around better choice than the Caliber. You'll be hard pressed to get a better car for the money than the Mazda 3 right now. I don't so much mind the style of the Avenger, but those motor choices are head scratchers. Finally I think the Sonata has come a long way. The current version is actually a pretty nice car at a reasonable price. I'm starting to see more and more of them on the streets. Could be a winner for Hyundai.

I really like the Mazda3, it looks good and performs very well. I imagine there will be an SRT version of the Avenger that will probably get a H.O. version of the 3.5 and maybe a small V6 or I4 with a turbo. Either way, the Mazdaspeed6 and the rumored SVT or ST Fusion with it's turbo 3.0 V6 and AWD should more than have it covered. Plus, the Mazda6 will be "new" for 08.

I'm pretty sure the engine options are 2.4L I4, 2.7L V6, and 3.5L V6, not much different than any other make. However, the 3.5L is "only" rated at 235hp, which is going to put it at pretty much the bottom of the barrel since every other manufacturer is releasing 3.5L V6's with 250+hp. Similar to the Fusion, there isn't going to be much to persuade any import buyers to buy it, and this car doesn't look like it would persuade many domestic buyers to buy it, either. Not with the Aura and Fusion out there, both far more attractive vehicles.

I bet I will have one of these with the I4 as my cheap rental next time I go to Vegas. :P

Can anyone verify, I thought the "Project America" platform (Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse, & Endeavor) was being ditched after this go around and being replaced by a stretched version of the all-new (due in '08) Lancer platform. And that this Lancer platform is what Chrysler is using for the Caliber & Sebring.

If Sebring/Avenger ride a stretched Lancer chassis, at least they shouldn't be as weighty as the porky Galant.

What I think is interesting, however is Chrysler's building of a 3.5L model. With an 80/20 production mix of I-4s/V-6s, there won't be too many V6 models running around. And then probably a majority of the V6s will be the 2.7L, so there will be very, very few 3.5Ls around. I bet most of them go into the press pool for journalist test drives. It will give Chrysler the best possible footing in the media. Smart strategy. Too bad Ford couldn't cobble together 50 or so 3.5L last year for the Fusion launch. It would have gotten better press.

Scott

Can anyone verify, I thought the "Project America" platform (Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse, & Endeavor) was being ditched after this go around and being replaced by a stretched version of the all-new (due in '08) Lancer platform. And that this Lancer platform is what Chrysler is using for the Caliber & Sebring.

If Sebring/Avenger ride a stretched Lancer chassis, at least they shouldn't be as weighty as the porky Galant.

What I think is interesting, however is Chrysler's building of a 3.5L model. With an 80/20 production mix of I-4s/V-6s, there won't be too many V6 models running around. And then probably a majority of the V6s will be the 2.7L, so there will be very, very few 3.5Ls around. I bet most of them go into the press pool for journalist test drives. It will give Chrysler the best possible footing in the media. Smart strategy. Too bad Ford couldn't cobble together 50 or so 3.5L last year for the Fusion launch. It would have gotten better press.

Scott

From what I have read, this is not based on Galant platform, but actually on a modified Caliber/Patriot/Compass platform. From Allpar:

The next generation Stratus and Sebring was originally to be based on the Mitsubishi Galant platform (a set of key dimensions), but Chrysler was the engineering lead from the start. The engineering of the Avenger is mostly Chrysler, though the Galant was a starting point for setting up key dimensions. The four cylinder is a joint-venture engine, but the two sixes are both Chrysler, as are the automatic transmissions.

Officially, Chrysler wrote that the Sebring’s (ie: Avenger) JS platform is derived from the GS [Caliber/Compass/Patriot] platform but is wider and longer. Many parts are shared among vehicles on the two platforms, and a high level of flexibility has been engineered into the assembly process. If demand is strong, the Chrysler group can assemble the Sebring and Avenger at its Belvidere plant. Conversely, Chrysler can assemble the Caliber and its Jeep siblings in the Sterling Heights plant.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I've read a few articles on the engines going into this car. Two of them stated that the top level engine in the Avenger would be a 3.2L V6 (a destroked 3.5L is what I interpret this as). I can't see a single reason for DCX to do this, they must be using the 3.5L that they've been using forever, likely without the new VCT heads that they made for the 4.0L upsized version judging by the power ratings.