My Brief Experience with a 2020 Escape SE

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't think it was technical.  I think it was just a design choice.  I think the logical progression of gears in most cases is from P to R (to back out of a parking spot) then to D.  Neutral had to go somewhere so they stuck it between R and D.  Pretty sure GM was the first with their hydramatic transmission and everyone else just copied it.

Actually many years ago putting N between R and D served a purpose. In older automatics there wasn’t a reverse “lock out” when driving forward. If you accidentally knocked the lever up a spot you’d hit neutral instead of reverse. Driving down the highway and accidentally going from D to R could cause catastrophic transmission damage. Sadly I know from experience. I drove an older Dodge Ram 150 in high school and let’s just say a stupid dare from a friend took the reverse gear out on the truck. I guess teenagers can make bad decisions. ?

Edited by 2005Explorer

1 minute ago, 2005Explorer said:

Actually many years ago putting N between R and D served a purpose. In older automatics there wasn’t a reverse “lock out” when driving forward. If you accidentally knocked the lever up a spot you’d hit neutral instead of reverse. Driving down the highway and accidentally going from D to R could cause catastrophic transmission damage. I drove an older Dodge Ram 150 in high school and let’s just say a stupid dare from a friend took the reverse gear out on the truck. I guess teenagers can make bad decisions. ?

That's a good reason.

• Like 1