None

ice-capades

GMC, Chevrolet Diesel Pickup Prices Cut $1,500

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/chevy-gmc-diesel-pickup-prices-cut

Our dealership ordered a F-150 Diesel when it first became available and it sat in stock for what seemed like forever. The availability was limited to the higher trim levels but the pricing was reasonable compared to the Super Duty series. The dealership was finally able to "give" the F-150 Diesel away and cut the continuing floorplan expense for a model no one either knew about or was interested in.

It'll be interesting to see how Ford responds to this new move from the competition.  

It’s funny, while buying a new/demo Escape for my daughter yesterday we were talking trucks, and he was saying he has only sold a couple since it’s been available. My dealership sells a lot of trucks so yet another example of the lack of interest in the diesels.   

9 minutes ago, tbone said:

It’s funny, while buying a new/demo Escape for my daughter yesterday we were talking trucks, and he was saying he has only sold a couple since it’s been available. My dealership sells a lot of trucks so yet another example of the lack of interest in the diesels.   

They've also put zero marketing behind it 

24 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They've also put zero marketing behind it 

That’s true, but they really don’t market Superduties either.  I suspect people who want a diesel already know they want one, verses a buyer looking at the various engine options and then picking one.  That diesel premium is hard to swallow.    

The VW fiasco blew up Diesel demand and regulation everywhere right when Diesel was going to be more mainstream in the US market. OEMs have billions invested in these powertrains so they are going to recoup any costs they can. The GM I-6 is a beautiful engine, however it will never see the market penetration GM was hoping (15-20%) 

Electric is the next battle ground. 

As for offering baby knocky stink in the high end, It is a lot like the heated windshields in the late 80s. Take rate was low because people who had Continentals and Taurus LX's had garages and the glass was always problematic. Just like VERY FEW Platinum owners want to deal with DEF, fuel additives in the cold, or higher costs in maintenance, repair and fuel. The take rate also goes down due to the fact that 3.5 HO stomps it in every single metric other than fuel economy.