Ford/Lincoln sales growth in China

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know if I'd say that.  Fusion was easily best in class when it debuted for '13.

And still looked good even last year.  Maybe best looking in the segment.  But that’s not enough.  Repeat buyers want something different.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

And still looked good even last year.  Maybe best looking in the segment.  But that’s not enough.  Repeat buyers want something different.

I agree, it does still look good.   But way too long in the tooth.  We're at 7 model years now largely unchanged.  It's obviously moot at this point, but let's hope Farley ropes in that sort of neglect to product lines.

44 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I agree, it does still look good.   But way too long in the tooth.  We're at 7 model years now largely unchanged.  It's obviously moot at this point, but let's hope Farley ropes in that sort of neglect to product lines.

8 model years actually.  And yes, I hope Farley doesn't let this happen going forward.

The point being that repeat buyers were being offered almost the same car that they were trading in,

that's the quickest way to loose your high series buyers to newer fresher products elsewhere.

It was at that point that Ford really soured on cars, basically engineering the drawn out  demise

from about the 2015 refreshes. What's annoying is that Ford didn't have alternate crossovers 

ready at the time to begin the changeover, they let Fusion and Focus just wither away....

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, akirby said:

8 model years actually.  And yes, I hope Farley doesn't let this happen going forward.

Don't forget CD4 Fusion is in itself a late cycle update of the EUCD Mondeo, which came out in 2007. The 2014 CD4 update introduced new front grille and some new engines but the three body styles (sedan, hatch, wagon) had very little change. Buyers in China and Europe have been staring at largely the same Mondeo for a mind blowing 14 model years. 

2007 - EUCD Mondeo

2010 - ECUD Mondeo mid cycle update

2014 - CD4 Mondeo (basically EUCD late cycle update)

2018 - CD4 Mondeo mid cycle (almost invisible to the eye)

2022? - C2 Mondeo Active

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Don't forget CD4 Fusion is in itself a late cycle update of the EUCD Mondeo, which came out in 2007. The 2014 CD4 update introduced new front grille and some new engines but the three body styles (sedan, hatch, wagon) had very little change. Buyers in China and Europe have been staring at largely the same Mondeo for a mind blowing 14 model years. 

2007 - EUCD Mondeo

2010 - ECUD Mondeo mid cycle update

2014 - CD4 Mondeo (basically EUCD late cycle update)

2018 - CD4 Mondeo mid cycle (almost invisible to the eye)

2022? - C2 Mondeo Active

Eh, this doesn't look like the current one

Used Ford Mondeo review: 2007-2015 | CarsGuide

On 1/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, rmc523 said:

Eh, this doesn't look like the current one

It's actually credit to the design that was commenced in 2003 that kinetic styling was able to give way to later styling.

Look at the silhouette and it's still basically a 2007 Money sedan, I know the US fusion in those days was Mazda based 

and different styling but for those of us in the rest of the world, Mondeo has been aged into the ground. The CD4 upgrade 

added something like 300 lbs or more weight which changed the whole character of the car.

• Like 2