Boycott Ford ???

:blah: I'm a member of a Yahoo drag site and some jerk posted some long anto gay stuff and said that he and others belong to some boycttford.com thing. Anybody know about this. I told him pretty much to go.....

boycottford.org can answer your questions, if yo uare interested.

in short American Family Assosication (AFA) which is the group of people that fought TV's and other media sources for making sure their content is children appropriate, decided that they will sway WAY off their mission, and attack Ford for advertising in Gay publications.

They ignore that others advertise there as well - they picked Ford as an example, because thye are weak, and their sales will be going down, so they can spin it as their doing.

They also ignore, that these ads are nowhere nea accesible t ochildren - these are in magazines purchased by people who want to see these ads, because thye are the target population ofr these ads - so this is completely off base from their mission, which is to protect children from exposure to potentially harmful stimuli.

Finally, my biggest beef is the HUG spin they put on all involvement of Ford. For example Ford (along with DCX) were the major sponsors of the Detroit pride parade - a day earlier, the same non-profit ,that organized the parade, organized a communal same sex marriage ceremony - it was purposefully on a differnet day, so none of the sponsors of the mainstream event - the Parade - are blamed for sponsoring the marriage ceremony (which of course is still a controversial subject) - of course the AFA - Boycott Ford spin Machine publiched HUGe article how Ford sponsored Gay marriage ceremony, and thus endorsed gay marriage.

And on a personal note I am extremely offended that anyone in the US would use the language they use in describing a minority - they criticize Ford for being progressive employer who does not discriminate on the bases of Sexual orientation, who requies employees to be as mindful about sexual orientation as race and disability, and that they are simply hateful bigots that live in the 1950's.

Go on their website, and get their perspective - but this is mine.

Igor

Well, they will have to boycott ALL car companies, then!

Well from what I have read Nissan Motors scores pretty low as a "gay friendly" company. They do not offer "domestic partner" benefits and do not have an anti-discrimination policy for hiring and firing. I suppose if you are really anti-gay they would probably be the best company to buy from if you don't mind supporting a French company. :hysterical:

Ford treats gay customers and employees like legit human beings, and some bumpkins can't stand it.

There's the short version.

I tend to side with this site:

http://www.boycottafa.com/

Treating people like people is fine."gay" shouldnt play a role, neither should straight, white, black, hispanic , christian, atheist...etc. It's when you start "courting" certain groups that people get upset. I could care less.

AFA is looking for publicity. It picked a failing company so it can take credit for Ford's down fall. You don't see them taking on Microsoft or Toyota do you? Ford advertises in gay publications and sponsors some gay events. Ford isn't doing anything revolutionary but whatevery major company does. It is just the weakest of the pack, and predators pick on the weak.

AFA comes from a long line of religion based hate organization in the US from as Christian Identity to the KKK. There's a lot of them out there. AFA knows how to play the media a lot more than the others by presenting a "Family friendly" front, but they use exactly the same arguments against gays as Christian Identity use against interracial relationships. AFA is just another version of the same story. Hate and justify it with religion. Do you see the same effort against divorce or divorcees? How about adultry? Of course not.

Another reason why Ford gets targeted:

Ford spends, annually, I believe something on the order of $40 million (about 60-66%) more money on charitable activities than GM ($68M vs. $106M, IIRC).

This is an example of how old-school Ford really is, they are hands down, the most charitable and community involved automaker in the world.

This also means that even if they spend AS MUCH, percentage wise, on "GLBT" stuff as GM, they're still spending far more in real dollars. Making them a bigger target.

:shrug:

:blah: I'm a member of a Yahoo drag site and some jerk posted some long anto gay stuff and said that he and others belong to some boycttford.com thing. Anybody know about this. I told him pretty much to go.....
:shrug:

You dress like a "girl"? :doh: ... why boycot Ford, not nail friendly?